Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sportage AWD 2.4L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
My Kia sportage was serviced by kia few months ago. Since replacing the inhibitor switch the car became extremely loud at RPM 2000 and above. It's so loud as if you're riding a motorbike. I took it to Kia 3 times and they can't figure out or not interested to have a look at it. Also the engine rattles at ldle and the rpm fluctuates 100-200 RPM. I don't know what else to do beside keep bugging Kia.
Any ideas how can I point the service centre to the exact problem so they dont waste my time each time!

·
Registered
2020 EX KIA Sportages, 2021 Hyundai KONA, 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK
220 Posts
Hi all,
My Kia sportage was serviced by kia few months ago. Since replacing the inhibitor switch the car became extremely loud at RPM 2000 and above. It's so loud as if you're riding a motorbike. I took it to Kia 3 times and they can't figure out or not interested to have a look at it. Also the engine rattles at ldle and the rpm fluctuates 100-200 RPM. I don't know what else to do beside keep bugging Kia.
Any ideas how can I point the service centre to the exact problem so they dont waste my time each time!
The inhibitor switch is a safety switch for the transmission. What you are explaining probably isn't caused by the switch. However, to change the switch they had to remove the air filter box and possibly battery and battery tray. I would start by checking the rubber hoses that connect to the air box and manifold/throttle body. Make sure the clamps are tight and the hoses are attached properly on the fittings. A leak in the hoses could possibly cause the noise you hear and irregular idle. Another option is to get a can of starting fluid, "I've even used brake cleaner", and spray along the intake hose. If you spray a area and the engine revs, or wants to die, you want to check that area out real good. Also, make sure it has a air filter element in it. They have been known to forget them sometimes.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Definitely could be an open air box or possibly the air filter is missing. There's also a silencer element in the air box that could be displaced or missing.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sportage AWD 2.4L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,
Link: 20211124_3513.mp4

·
Registered
2020 EX KIA Sportages, 2021 Hyundai KONA, 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK
220 Posts
Based on the issue didn't start until the transmission part was changed, I'll stick with a air box or air feed issue. They didn't hook something up or hook it up right. The air box has lower and upper resonators. If your not capable of removing the air box and checking all the connections, maybe pay someone who can. The resonators are readily available online and fairly inexpensive to change. I'm not one who likes to just throw the parts cannon on a problem wasting money, but sometimes it's worth the cost compared to a non attentive dealer. If it's been a few months since they worked on it, they probably won't be of much help.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
484 Posts
If the inhibitor switch was changed because of the recall/TBS (and this was the result of that service), then the dealership should correct it on their dime (or under warranty if that is still enforce).

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Since the noise started immediately after the switch was installed, then why didn't you drive the vehicle back to the dealership that very same day you picked up the supposedly repaired vehicle?

I would not have driven more than a couple city blocks, before turning the vehicle around and calling the dealer, informing them I'm minutes away and bringing back the vehicle to the Service Department.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts