Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Anyone else notice that the V6 GDI gets very hot during normal operation. Popped hood after a 30 minute drive and lot of hot air coming out of engine and touched plastic engine cover and it was very hot. Is this normal?

We have a 2019 SX w/ the V6.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
454 Posts
I've noticed that the hood of the Kia gets significantly warmer than the hood of my 4Runner (both V6 autos but one mounted north-south, the other east-west). The Kia has probably at least 1/3 less space under the hood than the Toyota and is more sealed against the outside environment. There is less ventilated frontal area on the Kia and the fan seems to be significantly smaller (but the Toyota uses belt driven clutch fan versus the Kia's electric). Operating temps seem to be within the norms for the Kia so I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply, folks. Of course, engine bays get hot. But, as an owner of many normally aspirated V6 engines and 4 cylinder turbos, this is probably the hottest I've seen an engine bay get. I can feel the heat by the underside of the driver door and the bay has hot air emanating from directly in front of the engine. Engine temp seem to be within normal parameters (at least according to instrument cluster gauge, but I think that measure oil temp, no?).

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,898 Posts
To lower aerodynamic drag and to improve gas mileage newer cars have a lot of the lower portion of the engine compartment covered in plastic... also the coolant temperature gets run higher and at a higher pressure in the coolant system... My 2016 Chrysler 200s has a "normal" operating coolant temperature of up to 241 degrees F... It also has the undercarriage covered with plastic and has electricaly controlled louvres on the front grill that close to increase temperatures...
The older cars ran at 180~190 degrees... (like in my 2008 Spectra)...
So "normal" isn't normal anymore to increase gas mileage...
Dave

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T
90 Posts
Engine temp seem to be within normal parameters (at least according to instrument cluster gauge, but I think that measure oil temp, no?).
I believe that is coolant temperature on the gauge cluster. Just curious, where is the sensor for the coolant? Is it before the coolant enters the engine or after it leaves before the radiator?

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
334 Posts
I'm betting on the exhaust system / cat converter being major contributors to the hot air. Not the engine itself.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
589 Posts
As a precaution, check front of your rad to see if it's obstructed by tree fuzz and clean it with soft nylon brush or so to improve heat exchange.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX
5 Posts
Design Flaw or Bad Thermostat?

The KIA Sorento 3.3 motor has a 192° thermostat. The electric cooling fan kicks in at 204°. So why does the normal operating temperature of the car, either city or highway, fluctuate between 215-220°? That means that the fan is operating ALL the time once the motor warms up!

There is absolutely no reason for the fan to be operating at highway speeds since there is sufficient air flow through the radiator to keep the motor cool.

I can almost guarantee that there will be a future recall to replace the thermostat with a high-flow thermostat to solve that problem.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
792 Posts
The KIA Sorento 3.3 motor has a 192° thermostat. The electric cooling fan kicks in at 204°. So why does the normal operating temperature of the car, either city or highway, fluctuate between 215-220°? That means that the fan is operating ALL the time once the motor warms up!

There is absolutely no reason for the fan to be operating at highway speeds since there is sufficient air flow through the radiator to keep the motor cool.

I can almost guarantee that there will be a future recall to replace the thermostat with a high-flow thermostat to solve that problem.
What method did you use to determine the fan is operating at highway speeds? I have a hard time believing the fan is running all the time.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX
5 Posts
What method did you use to determine the fan is operating at highway speeds? I have a hard time believing the fan is running all the time.
I have a read-out of the coolant temperature from the OBD-II port. Since I have watched the fan kick in at 204° while the car was idling, and the temperature at highway speeds is at 210-220°, I would have to assume that the fan has been working since the coolant temperature surpassed 204°.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
251 Posts
I can not verify what the Sorento does, but on my other two cars the ECM/PCM turns off the fans when car is at cruising speeds 45-50 MPH. Fan on/off and fan speed on my Envoy is also tied to AC pressure, turns on and runs fan faster at lower temps as the AC pressure rises. Unfortunately w/o access to KIA's locked up service manuals I'm only making an assumption.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
454 Posts
My wife just got home from a long run of shopping on a 104 degree day so took her car back out, did the readout on the Scan Gauge II I have in the OBD port and my fan isn't kicking on until 215-218 degrees and when I went out on the Interstate for a five mile run, airflow kept the temps right around 208-210 but then when I got off and started home in traffic, temps would go up to 215, fan would kick on, reduce the temps back down to 210(ish) and the fan would cut off and then back on a few minutes later (about what I would expect). Since we're both taking the reading from the OBD port, have to assume our readings should be identical but supposed the Scan Gauges (or whatever other people use) could be calibrated incorrectly. I doubt there is going to be a t-stat recall since this engine has been in production (V6) for years and used in the Sorento since 2016 so problems would have come up years ago and been corrected. Since it directly impacts the life of the engine, Kia isn't going to let something that could shorten the life of the motor and cost them warranty money, go uncorrected when it's as simple as a redesigned t-stat.

Are you using a phone app for the OBD port readings? Many of them are cheap but also wildly inaccurate and the transmitters that plug into the port are very cheaply made, subject to a lot of errors. I tried one in my 4Runner and it constantly gave me trans temp overheat readings and yet the built in temp system said everything was fine. I tossed it in the trash after that and went with the dedicated Scan Gauge II setup.

There may also be some logic built into the system that it knows the engine is at idle, temps are rising rapidly and so it kicks the fan on proactively to reduce the rapid rise in temps. When it's on the highway, it knows that there is constant airflow and so the fan can be less reactive - just a guess.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX V6, 2016 Forte LX+
33 Posts
I've noticed the same on my 2018 , I can feel the hot air coming from in between the hood and frame of the car (wheel well i guess) if I stand beside the hood, no warning signals in the instrument cluster and no issues at all

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
853 Posts
My motorcycle has a simple brass switch fitted into the radiator. The factory switch is set to turn the fan on at 210 degrees. I replaced it with a 199 degree switch. When the fan comes on, the temp will go up to 203-206 if sitting at idle on a hot day, then the fan brings it back down to around 185 before shutting off. As soon as I start riding at a steady clip, the temp goes right down and the fan shuts off. And in this case, the temp for the fan switch is being measured at the radiator, not the thermostat.
So it sounds to me like your car is working the same exact way, except it may be computer controlled rather than an actual thermal switch.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for confirming, I've felt the hood of car get so hot and as you said the hot air emanating from the engine bay to the inside of the driver side wheel well and door is also abnormally hot in my mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts