Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday's are usually good right? Weekend's almost here and we're all in a jolly mood? Mine was rather good on my sunny afternoon drive home, until a car pulled out in front of me that is....

Photo 1: can you spot the carefully parked car in this woodland scene?
Photo 2 & 3 show the damage once we'd managed to extricate my beloved CJ :(

Basically, on a twisty section of road with 40mph limit, quite heavy traffic so I had slowed already, A very lovely old guy pulled out of a pub car park on my left to turn right & go up the hill, his view obscured by a hedge, obviously didn't see me & kept coming out.

I swerved right to avoid a front end hit, then left back in to my lane to avoid oncoming Chelsea tractors, but in the process my left flank made pretty good contact with his front end, causing me to slide head first into a neat little coppice wood on the left.

Mother Nature's brakes worked fine, aided by a concrete fence post that is no longer upright and the car was utterly surrounded by rose, bramble and vine stalks. They stopped me ending up in a front garden and needing a crane to recover CJ to the road.

Car's now in body shop for appraisal, almost every panel is scratched/dented, the front bumper is broken, and the front engine sub frame is a tad bent. Currently don't know if it's a write off or repairable to be honest with you, am really hoping it's sortable though. If so, a complete re-spray is on the cards, along with new left wing, door and rear quarter, plus front bumper, and that sub frame of course.

Main thing is, nobody was injured at all, the old guy admitted liability and gave me a written statement to that effect, they even stayed with me at the pub awaiting the tow truck and gave me a lift home, which was nice.

So, I'll keep you posted on the details once I hear from body shop or insurance co. But for the moment I don't have a beautiful ceed, instead I'm driving an Astra 1.6 auto which is a bit pants but does what it needs to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Friday's are usually good right? Weekend's almost here and we're all in a jolly mood? Mine was rather good on my sunny afternoon drive home, until a car pulled out in front of me that is....

Photo 1: can you spot the carefully parked car in this woodland scene?
Photo 2 & 3 show the damage once we'd managed to extricate my beloved CJ :(

Basically, on a twisty section of road with 40mph limit, quite heavy traffic so I had slowed already, A very lovely old guy pulled out of a pub car park on my left to turn right & go up the hill, his view obscured by a hedge, obviously didn't see me & kept coming out.

I swerved right to avoid a front end hit, then left back in to my lane to avoid oncoming Chelsea tractors, but in the process my left flank made pretty good contact with his front end, causing me to slide head first into a neat little coppice wood on the left.

Mother Nature's brakes worked fine, aided by a concrete fence post that is no longer upright and the car was utterly surrounded by rose, bramble and vine stalks. They stopped me ending up in a front garden and needing a crane to recover CJ to the road.

Car's now in body shop for appraisal, almost every panel is scratched/dented, the front bumper is broken, and the front engine sub frame is a tad bent. Currently don't know if it's a write off or repairable to be honest with you, am really hoping it's sortable though. If so, a complete re-spray is on the cards, along with new left wing, door and rear quarter, plus front bumper, and that sub frame of course.

Main thing is, nobody was injured at all, the old guy admitted liability and gave me a written statement to that effect, they even stayed with me at the pub awaiting the tow truck and gave me a lift home, which was nice.

So, I'll keep you posted on the details once I hear from body shop or insurance co. But for the moment I don't have a beautiful ceed, instead I'm driving an Astra 1.6 auto which is a bit pants but does what it needs to do.
Commiserations dubster, at worst you will be without you Pro Ceed a while and that has to hurt. Good to read insurance wise you are in the clear. Good pictures by the way. Carrying a camera looks like being a good idea.

·
Registered
739 Posts
It's not good the see our car like this, but from the pictures it appears to be repairable.
So... a couple of weeks without the car, and when it gets back it will be as good as new!

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
So sorry to hear the news. As you may know, I went through a similar experience just four weeks ago (see posting "A Bad Day"), so I know how your feeling. Don't worry when it's fixed it will be as good as new. Just make sure the repairers don't provide a Corsa 1.2 U]automatic[/U] courtesy car while waiting!
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
at the least your wheels are OK :D

I guess you did not follow your motto, or did you?
If in doubt, Accelerate!

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd Sportswagon GT-line 1.6 CRDi (134bhp) Automatic 7spd-DCT
280 Posts
What a sad, sad day Dubster :-( You have all my sympathy.
I hope that every thing is sorted out to your complete satisfaction.
Great photos. Worth thousands of words. I look forward to seeing pics of your new or restored Pro-cee'd.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm extremely sad to report, insurance have decided it's a write off !!
Parts were £2200, labout was £2600, all plus VAT of course, so £5500 bill for a car they rate as being worth £7230.
I've rejected that with some links to pro_ceed Strike/VR7's on KIA and AutoTrader websites, need at least £7995 to replace like for like.

PLP - I'm glad to say I was taking it easy that day, could've been a lot worse had I been giving it the beans!

Went & cleared her out yesterday, am totally gutted to be honest.
Even worse, I very much doubt I'll be able to get another decent car for a year or two. :( :( :(

Anyone now of a decent little car around Kent/Sussex for £1000-1500 ??

·
Registered
246 Posts
Why not buy the salvage and get a local body shop to repair it, they would charge less than insurance labour rates and with the use of some salvaged parts the bill would come tumbling down.

At least you know its a reliable little car.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Why not buy the salvage and get a local body shop to repair it, they would charge less than insurance labour rates and with the use of some salvaged parts the bill would come tumbling down.

At least you know its a reliable little car.
Have (reluctantly) to agree with seven 7's comments . Its true insurance work is a nasty type of fiddle, usually. Bought my fire damaged caravan off insurers, did it up myself over winter and saved buying a new one.
At least get a quote and find out if you can keep your treasure.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
So sorry for hear your further bad news.
Blasted Insurance Companies. How can they rate the car as being worth £7230 in one breath and then say they won't pay a £5500 bill for the repair? :devil:
Is it worth asking the Insurance Ombudsman to look into an answer on that question for you?
Good luck

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
The insurance companies take into consideration all the other aspects of the claim/repair e.g. cost of hire car. Any repair costing more than 50% of the car value is normally a write off. All the ombudsman will do is confirm this.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'll ask LV how much to buy it back see if it's affordable.
Worry there is, it'd cost me (guesswork) £1000-1500 for the car from insurance, plus at least £1000-1500 for parts and labour, that's £3k for a car that'll be worth literally nothing at resale, as it'll show as an accident write-off.

I'm probably better off spending £1500 on a nice little runner to keep for 18 months then get a newer pro_ceed, only next time I'll insist on gap insurance!

Sorry, feeling a bit of a negative nancy on this at the moment, instead of my usual positive Percy :(

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
The insurance companies take into consideration all the other aspects of the claim/repair e.g. cost of hire car. Any repair costing more than 50% of the car value is normally a write off. All the ombudsman will do is confirm this.
I wonder then what the Insurance Company would say if I said I was only going to pay them 50% of the premium then? No joy there I guess.
It's time the industry was really looked at and the ombudsman started earning his keep! :mad:

·
Registered
2010 Kia Cee'd 2 - 124BHP 1.6petrol
560 Posts
Yipes! Been away doing other things recently, so sorry to hear about the car mate! I have to say as soon as I saw the pictures, I immediately thought write off. As a general rule, if you cant paint it out and its more than three affected panels, thats a write off :( glad to hear he accepted liability, shame that it had to happen in the first place but at least your in the clear... So where was this then? I wonder if its a patch I have driven through of late!

Can you not get a new one from Maidstone Kia and just use the write off dosh as a deposit?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wonder then what the Insurance Company would say if I said I was only going to pay them 50% of the premium then? No joy there I guess.
It's time the industry was really looked at and the ombudsman started earning his keep! :mad:
It the way the insurance industry works. Its not just the cost of repair, its the whole cost of the claim and extras like car loan soon bump up the total.

Spend a total of £8000 on an £8000 car sounds fine on the face of it but if they give the punter £8000 for the write off and then get £2000 as salvage they have only spent £6000, simple accounting plus no come back in the future.

If we wanted them to repair any car we drove and get it back on the road premiums would rise and we would be complaining again.

The Insurance Ombudsman is there to sort out issues, if they have agreed to pay a sum acceptable to the owner where is the dispute other than wanting the car fixed which is not going to happen.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys, though I don't think 'barely covering the remaining finance' is an acceptable sum to anybody, as I've instantly lost our investment and are left with nothing at all to show for it.

I can understand their reasoning, it's just annoying that I'd have to get another £8000 finance/loan with literally no deposit this time, to get a car like the one I had before the crash! That really is not fair by any stretch of the imagination.

Thankfully I've been pointed towards a decent nick, low mileage Focus ghia for good money locally, has a known history to some biking pals who own a garage, so I know it's sound. Only have a week to sort a replacement before the loan car's returned, so no real 'faff about' time to be honest.

With luck I'll get a new shape pro' in about 2 years and be a happy monkey again :)
Just need to get the focus and install a stereo with a USB port !!!

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
It the way the insurance industry works. Its not just the cost of repair, its the whole cost of the claim and extras like car loan soon bump up the total.

Spend a total of £8000 on an £8000 car sounds fine on the face of it but if they give the punter £8000 for the write off and then get £2000 as salvage they have only spent £6000, simple accounting plus no come back in the future.

If we wanted them to repair any car we drove and get it back on the road premiums would rise and we would be complaining again.

The Insurance Ombudsman is there to sort out issues, if they have agreed to pay a sum acceptable to the owner where is the dispute other than wanting the car fixed which is not going to happen.
Yes, I hear what you say. But it's always the punter that carries the loss and the insurance company always has an excuse. Perhaps they should not call their policies "Comprehensive". Pity the car loan company don't take their share of the hit. No chance of that!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, I hear what you say. But it's always the punter that carries the loss and the insurance company always has an excuse. Perhaps they should not call their policies "Comprehensive". Pity the car loan company don't take their share of the hit. No chance of that!
Its not an excuse its a fact. All the insurance company are required to do is to return you to where you were before the accident/theft etc. That is repair the car or if its uneconomic to repair give you a settlement that would provide enough cash to buy an identical car to yours i.e. one of the same age/mileage/condition/spec etc. What they are not required to do is to replace your 5 year old motor with a new one, it would be daft to expect that.

What you owe on the car is nothing to do with the insurance company, why should they have to tailor their offer to help someone who has taken out finance over someone who has paid cash, that would not be fair. Cars depreciate and if you have negative equity all it proves is you borrowed too much.

Their first offer is normally just that, an offer. Do your homework and provide them with evidence of the actual replacement cost and the offer will increase.

Why should the loan car company help, they are in business to make money.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Its not an excuse its a fact. All the insurance company are required to do is to return you to where you were before the accident/theft etc. That is repair the car or if its uneconomican identical car to yours i.e. one of the same age/mileage/condition/spe to repair give you a settlement that would provide enough cash to buy c etc. What they are not required to do is to replace your 5 year old motor with a new one, it would be daft to expect that.

What you owe on the car is nothing to do with the insurance company, why should they have to tailor their offer to help someone who has taken out finance over someone who has paid cash, that would not be fair. Cars depreciate and if you have negative equity all it proves is you borrowed too much.

Their first offer is normally just that, an offer. Do your homework and provide them with evidence of the actual replacement cost and the offer will increase.

Why should the loan car company help, they are in business to make money.

But that's my whole point, they don't give you enough for a..... "identical car to yours i.e. one of the same age/mileage/condition/spe to repair give you a settlement that would provide enough cash to buy etc. "

Why shouldn't the loan company take a hit? Under a hire purchase agreement they own the car not you, until the final payment is made! A totally different legal situation to a say a mortgage on property.

Are you by any chance a banker? :lol:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Skidlid, though I kinda know where you're coming from, what about the complete loss of my financial investment?
Had the car not been wrecked by other driver I'd have an asset that I could sell for <>£4000 in 2 years when the finance is finished, but as it stands I have literally nothing.

As for 'if you have negative equity all it proves is you borrowed too much' - 4 years is the normal term to purchase a new car. Obviously it depreciates the most in year one and less so from then onwards, but unless they start with a significant deposit anyone taking a car on finance over 4 years will be in negative equity for the first 2, so I think you're talking carp.

Furthermore, the insurance company is not returning me to 'where I was before the accident' as just 2 weeks ago I had a beautiful, decent, reliable pro_ceed. If I were to accept their first offer I would have nowt to show for it, and even if they raise offer to £7,995 (doubtful), I'll struggle to come out of this with £750 (if I can void the excess) and no car.

Personally I do not call that 'where I was before the accident'

1 - 20 of 40 Posts