Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5 SX UVO 2013
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I went and bought this little piece of hardware hoping it would fit our nearly identical cars!

importshark.com

It does fit real tight in there but the little arm for a steady bolt on comes short about 1cm of the bolt hole. The washer does connect to the arm so I'm gonna get rubber washers and try to fiddle something.

Otherwise I had to get a little 5/16" clamp for the breather hose since the OEM clamp is not tight enough the keep the hose on.

Tutorial with pics and review forthcoming!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio SX 5-Door M/T
14 Posts
Hi guys!

I went and bought this little piece of hardware hoping it would fit our nearly identical cars!

importshark.com

It does fit real tight in there but the little arm for a steady bolt on comes short about 1cm of the bolt hole. The washer does connect to the arm so I'm gonna get rubber washers and try to fiddle something.

Otherwise I had to get a little 5/16" clamp for the breather hose since the OEM clamp is not tight enough the keep the hose on.

Tutorial with pics and review forthcoming!
Good to know! I was looking at this intake just the other day! What do you think your ETA is on the completed install? Can't wait to see it!

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5 SX UVO 2013
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's already installed, I just need to cleanup my pics and format it all!

I'll try to do that tonight!

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5 SX UVO 2013
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alright people here it is!

Tools needed!

- 10mm socket wrench (with extender arm)
- 5/16 tightable clamp for the breather hose (.40 cents @ canadian tire)
- 5/16 rubber washers (optional)
- flat screwdriver
- long nose pincers
- NGM SRI for veloster/accent 2012+

1. Remove the air duct using the flat screwdriver :

There are two little black pins; you gotta insert the driver in between the space separating the top and bottom of the pin and twist to make the top of the pin go upwards for a 0.5 cm or 1/8 of an inch approx. When it clicks the pin is gonna be easy to remove.

2. Remove the breather hose from the air box either using your hands or the pincers to loosen the clamp:

3. Unscrew the connection to the engine and remove it :

Continued...

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5 SX UVO 2013
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
4. Remove the top of the air box (2 hand clips easy to spot):

5. Unscrew the two bolts with the wrench and then you can remove the rest of the box to get this :

6. Finally install the SRI using your brain and you get this (it is a tight fit, you've been warned :p) :

The SRI is about 1-2 cm (1/2 inch) too long for it to fit with the bolt near the battery. You could saw it off if you have the right equipment, I didn't. I used 5/16 rubber washers to keep it from moving and so far it's looking good!

I also found the OEM clamp for the breather hose is too loose for the small tube coming off the SRI so I installed another clamp which works like a charm.

I'm short on time tonight so forgive me for the lack of details! Ask and I shall answer!

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5 SX UVO 2013
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got a hacksaw and I think this weekend I'll cut it to make it fit in the bolt hole since it looks like it's always moving a little. I'll keep you guys updated!

Edit : I got to it and cut 1,5 cm (about 5/8") off the SRI... I'm pretty happy about the result!

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5 SX UVO 2013
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so what power gain did you get with this installed?
The car seems more responsive at low RPMs, the estimated gain is under 10hp so it's not really perceptible all that much, except for the sound. You can really hear the engine growl when you push on it under 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5 SX UVO 2013
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Opinions differ... it is pretty much agreed that the retailer can't refuse to honor the warranty unless he proves the damage was done because of the mod, e.g. a bad air filter letting big particles blow up your engine... In any case people recommend just switching back the OEM airbox if you gotta get the car in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts