Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the posts, it occurs to me that no-one identifies what type of car they are driving, therefore "problems" are raised when they aren't, in fact, problems, just an inherent characteristic of the type of vehicle. Examples: TOD problems do not allow for the automatic version which really shouldn't have been bought if a lot of "Traction dependent" braking is required: high fuel consumption isn't really an issue for the diesel although perhaps it is for the 3.5 V6.

There may be other examples too so when raising a new topic, could it be a requirement that there is a clear statement about the type of car involved

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
351 Posts
I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with somebody not buying an automatic when they require good traction control. Some of the the best off road 4WD's around are now autos, lock up torque converters etc have come a long way.

Certainly in New Zealand something like 80% of vehicles in 4WD clubs are automatic now and for most people are much more capable than a manual version of the same vehicle.

Frankly I don't see the difference in requirement for downhill traction in either case, good luck downhill in a manual TOD when you've got no drive to the front wheels !! Seems to me it doesn't matter if you're manual or auto, same problem, same result.

Just thought perhaps you meant the different type of transfer case rather than gearbox ? If so that's fine if you live where there's a choice !! in New Zealand the auto TOD system is all you can get !!

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair point about manual ToD but at least you would have engine braking at the rearthrough the manual drive chain. I just feel that there is an unfair view being reresented of the vehicle when the basic issue is inherent to an automatic of any make

1 - 3 of 3 Posts