Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received letter from KIA Motors tonight. This only effects automatic transmission on a certain range of vehicles, lucky me!!

Mine - Kia Sorento XE 2.5 5 speed auto purchased new 1st Nov

Letter states - There is a possibility that a retaining ring inside the automatic transmission may become displaced. This in turn could result in either poor power transfer or the vehicle may roll whilst in reverse gear position - 5 hours work for the transmission to be replaced - free of charge.

Happy days!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Been ongoing since begining of November, interesting they are stating 5 hours in letters to customers, but only paying dealers 3.5 hours to change it...
And I've not heard of anyone doing one in under 6 hours yet :rolleyes:

Theres also the ECU wiring harness recall, plus reprogramming Engine and box ecu, all done at same time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can I get some more information about the recall - Serial numbers that have the defect auto box?

I got mine in August. 2.5 Diesel with the 5-speed auto box.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
All Sorento Diesel 5 Speed Auto models (1154 vehicles) within the following VIN ranges may be affected by this recall:

KNEJC521845252268 to KNEJC521845313564

The VIN range for vehicles which also require the transmission oil cooler pipes to be replaced is:

KNEJC521845252268 to KNEJC521845288087

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now! did I make a mistake buying a Sorento??
Since I have had this it spent most of the time in the garage, 6 times in out and back again! Out of the first 5 weeks I had it for 1 week myself, I even got to the point of demanding a replacement.
Two problems.
First - was if you put the hazards on as a warning to following traffic it killed the ignition, so obviously you lost power steering/braking. Even after suggesting it was the alarm that maybe the root of the problem and being told no! I finally refused to accept the vehicle back from the dealer. Hey-ho! action and alarm was found to be fitted by them incorrectly!!
Second - stopped at traffic lights and engine died to minimal rpm loads of smoke from exhaust and no response from accelerator, had to turn off and start again.
I did get a full tank and bike carrier out of it but hey! how patient do you have to be??
All the recalls that you have listed don't fill me with joy but hey-ho! I've got it now and despite all of this I am very fond of it and look forward to towing the caravan and having great holidays.
May be I should not have got rid of the Skoda Octavia? yes I should! it was very unstable when towing, now I don't need clean undies every towing session.
Thanks for the update I'm pre-armed now when it goes back again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The Sorento is a great car, and your problems are not typical I promise!
The recall situation appears bad, but in reality it isn't, Kia take quality and customer satisfaction seriously, I've been in the trade for 12 years, and worked for some very big car firms, and am surprised working with Kia how many full blown recalls there have been, but this is down to Kia going all out to ensure a customer is satisfied.
Most other makers, unless it's a serious safety issue, simply fix things as cars are serviced, rather than call cars in.

All Kias should now be checked prior to service for any outstanding recalls etc, all to ensure the cutomer is not held up for further checks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! Thank you!!

Chased the garage today over your comments about the ECU recalls. We have action from them again! They did not appear to know that I needed the ECU recall work carrying out, so now they are going to do it on the same day having checked. They said they have done 4 this month!
Would I buy another Sorento? Well yes! I actually like the car - truck - beast very much and enjoy driving it. Having been driving for some 32 years(cough!) and many types of vehicles I can appreciate a well rounded vehicle that does what you want it too, for it's size it can also be quite nimble.

All my comment are meant as positives, I think maybe I just need to keep a good look out on the forum and be patient with the garage, right boot might help!

Thank you again and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
153 Posts
The recall has arrived to my country, it was in the press today. 123 Sorentos have the gear problem and 558 have the alternator poly problem.

I checked the VIN of my Sorento the day Murph posted it and I was spared.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You may still have alternator and ECU harness recall, the numbers were much bigger for those, I don't have the VIN's to hand that covers them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts