Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Sedona, 2010: Forte, 2017
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Sedona.
Over the past few months I've noticed that the engine will rev high on start (close to 2000 rpm) for a few seconds before dropping down to about 1500. This was happening in Winter and now in Spring. I realize that this pattern is normal behavior but the values are higher than normal from my recollection in years past.

The gas pedal is not touched during the start cycle. No accessories are turned on either. No codes are recorded. I've leaned the MAF sensor and throttle body without any change being noticed.

Any suggestions on what to check next?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,379 Posts
You've "learned" them, have you tried cleaning them? Also check for a loose connection or small crack in the tube between the MAF and intake manifold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've learned that typing before drinking coffee is never a good thing. Yes, I cleaned the sensor & throttle body. The air intake hose assembly was replaced 14 months ago (Feb 2019, cracks that had led to codes being generated). I'll go over that part of the system again though as you suggest.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I've learned that typing before drinking coffee is never a good thing. Yes, I cleaned the sensor & throttle body. The air intake hose assembly was replaced 14 months ago (Feb 2019, cracks that had led to codes being generated). I'll go over that part of the system again though as you suggest.
No worries, with ALL that's going on with the Virus going on, TOLERANCE to postings is a must...so we all keep some sanity! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the air intake hose against the original (lucky I kept it) and the joint indicated on the original is fixed in place but on the replacement it can rotate and it does not seal well at all. I'm thinking that over the last 14 months it has become less effective at sealing. I put a clamp on it and that seems to have solved the issue. Enough air was leaking in to upset things but not enough to cause a code.

1586492985535.png

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Thanks for posting the fix for your vehicle's problem to this "high rev" on cold start! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts