Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 kia optima, 68 Ford F250
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my lady leaves work and about every two months or so the car just cuts off and rolls to a stop. The car starts right back up after that, and no smell of gas. Lately its been happening more then normal. At first I thought it was user error :) I have performed some troubleshooting, replaced battery and cleaned throttle body, run some fuel injection cleaner through it. Still happening after all that, a guy at my job stated it might have something to do with a ground wire or a short in the alarm system. Thinking that the car thinks someone is trying to steal it and it cuts off. This is a factory alarm keep in mind. I'm tired of her calling me about this issue, any help would be great . :)

2007 Kia Optima 2.4L

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
Without the problem happening consistently, it will be extremely difficult to diagnose. Are there any codes stored? Any indicator lights on after it restarts? Does it immediately start back up, or does it crank a while before starting?

The factory anti-theft will not cut engine power.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've seen reports about crank-position sensor causing this sort of problem. KIA engines seem to have lots of mysterious ways of failing to go. Sportage is notorious for it, according to this forum. Let the flames begin!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
A bad crank sensor is definitely a possibility, but not very common on the 2.4L. I would expect it to happen more often than once every couple months as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without the problem happening consistently, it will be extremely difficult to diagnose. Are there any codes stored? Any indicator lights on after it restarts? Does it immediately start back up, or does it crank a while before starting?

The factory anti-theft will not cut engine power.
Thanks for the reply,

There are no codes stored run a OB test at oreillys and no lights on after the vehicle starts back up. Yes it starts right back up after it shuts down, no cranking involved. She states that the engine and oil light comes on after the shut down, but goes off right after start up.Thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen reports about crank-position sensor causing this sort of problem. KIA engines seem to have lots of mysterious ways of failing to go. Sportage is notorious for it, according to this forum. Let the flames begin!
Thanks for the reply!

mmm crank sensor, would a code show for this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A bad crank sensor is definitely a possibility, but not very common on the 2.4L. I would expect it to happen more often than once every couple months as well.
Thanks for the reply!

The most it happened was two days in a roll. Could it be possible that its starting to go. But Im not getting any codes or engine lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts