Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer checked my ECM SW upgrade (TBS#122), and it was already applied prior to my purchase. I read a post indicating that KIA was suggesting to replace althernator and pulley, but I have not gotten any result posted from people who did it...and when I called KIA on those suggestion, they weren't suggesting anything except asking me to take my car back to Dealer again.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
Good for you Boxi!

Quite the interesting info on the website. These are the few stories that are not well known and revealed
in a database for all to see. A quick survey revealed some disturbing safety issues on my model. I'm certain its not limited to just kia but nevertheless, it was a real eye opener. From failed airbag deployment in head on impact, to rear seat detachment on impact, to stock tires disintegrating, all disconcerting to say the least. Forget MPGs, I seriously hope those were isolated cases and not a distinct failure / defect manufacture pattern.

If more people knew about this site, I'm sure we'd hear more real world stuff from the people who drive the
same cars you and I drive everyday.

Talk about skeletons in the closet....

ImageUploadedByAG Free1353020578.067825.jpg

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Dig deep enough in to any product and you will find faults on pretty much anything. That is the one thing about us Americans... we love to complain and we love to sue people. I am not saying there is nothing wrong with the vehicles.. but I am saying that while there might be something wrong with a type of vehicle, do NOT mistake things that are isolated to one or two vehicles and try to associate it with the vehicle or line overall.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
It's not just safety, but any manufacturing defects. They even have a section for "defects investigations".

Many defects can lead to a safety issue. A rough idle could be a symptom of something impending that could cause for example a throttle issue or engine cut out without warning. So nothing is left to chance when there are so many components that relate to, or rely on another component that can be linked to safety etc.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,970 Posts
How is a rough idle/engine vibration a safety concern? Please enlighten me.
+1 yes enlighten us a rough idle a safety concern and you have had it to the dealer one time and made a report to the NHTSA and the dealer told you TSB-122 was was installed did you let the dealer do any trouble shooting or just you just checked to see if the TSB was complied with from what info you have given i fail to see the logic.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Let's see, that complaint to the NHTSA site and $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Let's see, that complaint to the NHTSA site and $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds.
Look on the bright side....you might be able to claw back the same $100 by suing because the coffee was too hot. :)

The world is full of opportunity...for a shyster lawyer. :)

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
A complaint to the NHTSB about a rough idle?
Get in line....there are far more serious issues ahead of you...oh and surprise, most of them are not Kia OR Hyundai....

Summary:
Toyota is recalling certain model year 2004-2009 Prius vehicles manufactured August 5, 2003, through March 30, 2009. The affected vehicles have a steering intermediate extension shaft assembly built with metal splines that complete the connection from the steering wheel to the steering gear. These splines may have been manufactured with an insufficient hardness.

Consequence:
Over time, the splines may wear and eventually fail resulting in a loss of steering ability, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.

Remedy:
Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the extension shaft and replace it if it is one with insufficient hardness, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in December 2012. Owners may contact their Toyota dealer or the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.

Toyota is recalling certain model year 2004-2009 Prius vehicles manufactured August 6, 2003, through March 30, 2009 and FCHV-adv vehicles manufactured December 12, 2008, through September 13, 2011. During manufacturing, a scratch may have occurred inside of the electrically driven water pump at the coil wire. The coil wire may corrode at the scratched portion.

Consequence:
The corroded coil wire may break and the water pump could stop. The corroded coil wire could cause a short circuit between coil wires and a possible open fuse, creating a stall-like condition of the hybrid system while the vehicle is being driven. This may increase the risk of a vehicle crash.

Remedy:
Toyota will notify its owners, and dealers will replace the electric water pump, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact their Toyota dealer or the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.

Toyota is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 Scion IQ vehicles manufactured July 31, 2011, through October 12, 2012. The cable for the Occupant Classification System (OCS) may become damaged when sliding the passenger seat forward or backward.

Consequence:
If the cable for the OCS becomes damaged, the front passenger airbags may not deploy or they may deploy inappropriately for the passenger's size and position. This could increase the risk of personal injury during the event of a vehicle crash necessitating airbag deployment.

Remedy:
Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will install a protective cover on the OCS weight sensor cable. The recall is expected to begin in December 2012. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331.

General Motors is recalling certain model year 2012 Buick Verano, Chevrolet Cruze, and Chevrolet Sonic vehicles. The driver side frontal air bag has a shorting bar which may intermittently contact the air bag terminals.

Consequence:
If the bar and terminals are contacting each other at the time of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver's frontal airbag, that airbag will not deploy, increasing the driver's risk of injury.

Remedy:
General Motors will notify owners, and dealers will replace the steering wheel airbag coil, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-521-7300.

Chrysler is recalling certain model year 2002 and 2003 Jeep Liberty vehicles manufactured January 9, 2001, through March 28, 2003, and 2002 through 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured February 13, 2001, through May 23, 2003. A component in the air bag control module may fail causing the front airbags, side curtain airbags, and/or seatbelt pretensioners to deploy inadvertently while the vehicle is being operated.

Consequence:
Inadvertent deployment of the airbags may increase the risk of injury and the possibility of a vehicle crash.

Remedy:
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will install a supplemental jumper harness to the airbag control module, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during January 2013. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-247-9753.

Jaguar is recalling certain model year 2010-2012 XF vehicles equipped with a 5.0L gasoline engine. The affected vehicles may have a fuel tank fuel outlet flange that may crack.

Consequence:
The cracked flange may result in fuel leakage onto the ground. This leaking fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, may result in a vehicle fire.

Remedy:
Jaguar will notify owners, and dealers will replace the affected fuel tank fuel outlet flanges, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on, or before, December 7, 2012. Owners may contact Jaguar at 1-800-452-4827.

Rough idle?....in the prioritization process...with hundreds no thousands
of complaints ahead of you...

Signed,

Very happy Sorento owner...(I know, a rare species on this Emergency Ward forum)....

·
Registered
04 Frontier V6 4WD; 2011 Sorento LX I-4, 6 spd auto AWD, Titanium, 3rd seat and PKG#1
221 Posts
Jerry Lee Lewis, anyone??

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Its a GDI. They always seem to idle a little harsher than MPI engines. If you wanted smoothness, you should of got the V6. Just my $0.02.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts