Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA RIO 5dr Hatchback, Model: EX, 1.4 CVVT Engine, A/T
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reviewing my manual, I read in the Introduction about "VEHICLE BREAK-IN PROCESS" which I should have followed when I first got the car.
It says, No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 1000 km (600 miles) you may add to the performance, economy and life to your vehicle.
  • Do not race the engine.
  • While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4000 rpm.
  • Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is need to properly break-in the engine.
  • Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, allow the breaks to seat properly.
  • Don't let the engine idle longer than 3 minutes at one time.
  • Don't tow a trailer during the first 2,000 km (1,200 miles) of operation.
My A/T Rio has been driven more than 12,000 km. Can I remain my engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4000 rpm?

I guess this is the reason why I hear a rattling sound when sometimes I don't notice that my rpm is below 2,000 rpm.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
Can I remain my engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4000 rpm?

sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean by this?

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 SX
64 Posts
The manual is suggesting that you don't want to run the engine at the same speed (say, 2,000 rpm) for long periods of time. When driving on the highway, you want to vary your speed (and therefore, engine speed.)

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
that's only during the break-in period as the OP stated, but he said you had 12k, so why would he be asking now, if indeed that's what he meant - confusing!

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
It seems that the OP didn't observe any of the suggested Break-In procedures and is now wondering if keeping between 2000 and 4000 RPM will somehow compensate for this.

Rattling sound the the OP reported below 2000 RPM most likely pinging due to bad fuel and driving in the wrong gear.

I always observe the 2000-4000 schedule with a new car, in fact, it's not a bad rule even when the break-in is done, particularly for a 4-cylinder engine. People who learned to drive on old bangers seem to persist with the low RPM mentality; a friend used to drive his Hyundai Getz around town at 40 km/h in 5th gear!

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
if you hear rattling - talk to dealer.

I highly doubt it has to do with break in period. Period.
The 2000-4000 is only to make sure you let the engine to reach some higher revolutions, but not too high, and at the same time you do not bug it down - say slow driving at 1200 rpm for long time.

Besides, the most important part of breaking in is done at the factory and during the very first 50 miles. If this was screwed up - then there is nothing you can do.

But again - try to find out what is rattling and see service.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I remain my engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4000 rpm?

sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean by this?
What should be my rpm after the break in process?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It seems that the OP didn't observe any of the suggested Break-In procedures and is now wondering if keeping between 2000 and 4000 RPM will somehow compensate for this.
!
Yes, I was not able to observe the break in procedure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you hear rattling - talk to dealer.

I highly doubt it has to do with break in period. Period.
The 2000-4000 is only to make sure you let the engine to reach some higher revolutions, but not too high, and at the same time you do not bug it down - say slow driving at 1200 rpm for long time.

Besides, the most important part of breaking in is done at the factory and during the very first 50 miles. If this was screwed up - then there is nothing you can do.

But again - try to find out what is rattling and see service.
My dealer can't figure the rattling noise for quite some time now. I feel bad when I hear that rattling sound.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Dr Bob - but the OP has an automatic?????
I noted that, but the guy has been having engine noise problems since the car was new, and it sounds like the transmission is reluctant to change down or he has it in manual mode; see quote from an early post by dwhitekiss:

I observed again my problem this morning while going to work. The engine makes a that "tinkling" sound when you suddenly floor the throttle from low revs ( <1500 RPM). The sound happens when you're in a high gear and say you hit a hill the engine will start to strain up the hill before changing down to a lower gear. On that strain there will be a tinkling sound like its straining maybe a tappet like sound.

Anyway, that's no way to treat a new engine.

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
see quote from an early post by dwhitekiss:

I observed again my problem this morning while going to work. The engine makes a that "tinkling" sound when you suddenly floor the throttle from low revs ( <1500 RPM). The sound happens when you're in a high gear and say you hit a hill the engine will start to strain up the hill before changing down to a lower gear. On that strain there will be a tinkling sound like its straining maybe a tappet like sound.

Anyway, that's no way to treat a new engine.
Where did he say that?

I could not find it.

this noise is typical knocking under sudden change of load - nothing to worry about unless it stays too long or does not go away when moderate load.

Put some best gas into the tank or add fuel additives (octane booster). If noise goes away - knocking. If not - we will keep thinking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did he say that?

I could not find it.

this noise is typical knocking under sudden change of load - nothing to worry about unless it stays too long or does not go away when moderate load.

Put some best gas into the tank or add fuel additives (octane booster). If noise goes away - knocking. If not - we will keep thinking.
It's a different post. Here http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-rio/77339-engine-knock-low-speed.html#post415285

So my problem is a change of load. Nothing to worry about now but will it present engine problems in the future? OR should I be looking at the shifting?

What I don't understand that the recommended octane from the manual (outside Europe) is 91 RON. In my country, I've been using 93 RON but still hears that noise. It went away, using super premium 97 RON / 100 RON. But it doesn't make sense to use a premium gas for a sub compact - it's costly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dealer can't figure the rattling noise for quite some time now. I feel bad when I hear that rattling sound.
I found this information from kiatechinfo.com, but it apply to 2013MY vehicles. You can sign-up for account to get detail PDF document.

SERVICE ACTION: INSPECTION FOR NOISE FROM ENGINE
UNDER SPECIFIC CONDITIONS (SA 134)
This bulletin provides information relating to certain RIO (UB) 2013MY vehicles which may
experience “rattling” or “chattering” engine noises under specific conditions. Only a very small
number of vehicles within the identified Production Date range will actually be affected; make sure
to follow the detailed instructions in this bulletin to prevent unnecessary engine replacements.
This procedure applies to vehicles produced from August 09, 2012 to October 09, 2012. Kia is
requesting the completion of this Service Action on all affected vehicles in dealer stock prior to
delivery. Before conducting the procedure, verify the vehicle is included in the list of affected VINs.

·
Registered
Kia-Rio EX 1.4 Hatch Petrol (Silver)
26 Posts
:confused:Your dealer can't figure the rattling noise, because he does not want to, eventually he may say that its normal noise for your vehicle. They have all the answers off to a T.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts