Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Kia Sedona which I hate. My latest problems include a sliding passenger side door that is nearly impossible to open--they just love me in carpool; a trunk that is impossible to close without slamming or closing it several times to get it to catch properly, and an annoying whinning while the A/C is on. I also experience severe dips in the RPM's while driving, and not at normal times that you'd expect, like ascending a hill or something.

Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions as to how I can guide my Service Department to actually fix these problems and not think the problems are just in my head would be great!

I have finally just convinced them that the rear expansion valve is faulty and had to point out to them that it had been recalled. They'd fix it, but their a/c machine is broken. And this is in a dealership that opened not one month ago.

As for the sliding door, they have replaced the rollers once, the seal once, and "adjusted" the rollers five times, replaced the door handle itself, and lubed it several times. It still just sticks. And I've pretty much just resigned myself live with the cargo door issue.

The RPM issue is driving me crazy...appreciate any input you'd have. THX

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
9 times out of 10, the side doors being hard to open is a seal issue, need to lube the actual face of the seal, as the door sticks to it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had ECU problems when the whole engine goes into safe mode but the ECU fails to record the fault.

the boot closing was a problem too.. it seems closed by the light inside shows it is not as stated in someone elses thread when the repair work to the rust appearing above the plate if you look up under the handle.. the handle was replaced and the boot seems to shut much better.

one sliding door needed adjusting as the inside handle would not work unless you were very strong, since it has been adjusted it has worked just fine.

and the A/C stopped working and needed a new solenoid valve... ( it still is not very good)

·
Registered
57 Posts
MY 03 SEDONA IS HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEMS. MY REAR HATCH SEEMS CLOSED BUT LIGHT STAYS ON.DEALER ORDERED A NEW LATCH AND SENSOR?I HAVENT LOOKED FOR RUST THOUGH. I HAVE AN ODD PROBLEM WHERE IT FEELS LIKE THE VAN DROPS RPMS AND POWER I HAVE BEEN CALLING IT A VOID? SEE MY POST ON TRANS FLUID IT GIVES A FULL DESCRIPTION OF WHEN IT HAPPENS

·
Registered
391 Posts
this is my description it started to only happen on long journeys and after 6 months happened everytime I drove it.

http://www.kia-forums.com/t4363-sedona-engine-problems.htm

if you are getting rust appearing , you can see it when the boot is open you do not need to remove anything, there were just a few bubbles. my ECU failure was the cause of the revs dropping, but it was strange is it is an electrical component but got slowly worse and more regular.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our 2002 Sedona has had wheels on both sliding doors replaced, and one is sticky again.

The trunk (or boot, if you prefer) has always been a bear to close. It seems to me that the seals are establishing almost too good of a seal before the latch catches. In other words, there is too much air pressure in the car when the door is closing. As evidence of this, close the trunk with a window slightly open or a front door open... it's 10 times easier to close the trunk under those circumstances. Obviously not the most practical solution, especially where we live and winter lasts about 6 months so I'm not inclined to leave doors and windows open so I can close the trunk. We have slammed ours shut so many times, the sheet metal is actually dimpled on either slide of the plastic trim around the door handle.

All in all, the van has never "failed"... it always starts, always gets where we need to go, etc. However, I'd like to think that's not out of the ordinary for any car. Without a doubt, I will never buy another Kia. Fit and finish is subpar, and we have had to deal with too many pesky problems. Nearest dealer is almost 30 miles away, and we're without a family car everytime it goes in for repair. Among our various problems have been.

-Broken door mechanism in right front passenger door, could not lock or open the door until a part was ordered.
-Numerous repairs on sliding doors, some just sticky, twice door could not be opened until part was ordered.
-Brakes had to be replaced (not repaired) at 30,000 miles.
-Kumho tires were worthless in winter after 20,000 miles.
-Strange and as-yet undiagnosable clicking in front suspension.
-Broken exhaust pipe clamp
-Weird white deposits on rear wiper arm where plastic cover is peeling off.
-Upholstery on front door armrests lasted maybe 6 months before looking very well worn from elbows... and we don't have very heavy elbows.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Weird white deposits on rear wiper arm where plastic cover is peeling off.
I think that is the start of rust coming through we had the wiper arm replaced at the same time as the first boot respray.

someone did mention about adjusting the side latches in order for the boot to close.

I still get clicking from the front wheels but not the clunk other people are experiencing

·
Registered
2016 Carnival
316 Posts
Is the clicking when you turn corners or constantly there,a common cause of clicking is a cv joint i have had to replace them on a previous car.Cheers Len

·
Registered
'09 Kia Carnival, '10 Kia Grand Carnival
243 Posts
Yeah. The way to check this is to take your FWD car to a nice empty car-park or field, have your window down, lock it in 1st (autos, that is), turn the wheel hard over - full lock - and give it a bootfull! :grin: If you just perform some doughnuts and get booked, your CV's are OK. If you hear a ratchety clicking sound, then they're slipping. Time for new ones. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts