Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wifes 04 ex is weaping oil, and every now and again it gets on exhaust manifold and smells like burnt oil. so... i need top replace v c gasket. is this a diy job? i have done this on old 1.8 vw and 320i bmw. how much needs to be removed to get off the valve cover? has anyone here done this? if it is too much work, how much should i expect to pay to have it done?

thanks in advance

Brandon

04 sorrento
00 jetta
88 ///M3
86 carrera

·
Registered
04 sedona,94 suburban,97 sephia Tuned & ported
35 Posts
well.......Im not gonna say its a easy job, thats for sure.The complete intake has to come off,and a few other items...............On a scale of 1-10 difficulty for a diy'er.......about a 7 i guess.
Just be carefull with everthing you remove, i see so many sorentos come in with all kinds of broken connectors and sensors from people in to big of a rush.

Items you will need.
VC Gaskets,Coolant,intake Gasket,(Tie Straps<---bound to break a harness holdown clip).....
Dealer LBR hours to do VC gaskets 3.5 hours
replace the spark plugs while your there also,big money saver later

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I called the dealer, they said i need 2 different gaskets for each valve cover gasket. is this correct? for intake and v c gaskets it was like $160, sound right? Also, can you suggest a repair manual to help? I know i have bought many bentley manuals for german cars, do they make them for kia also?

tia,
brandon

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,425 Posts
The other gasket may be to seal the spark plug tubes. So yes you would need to different gaskets per VC.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Don't know. Have not done them yet. Most gasket sets come with some form of instructions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Valve Cover Gasket

In your case, I think there is a need to replace that valvce cover gasket. You should call a mechanic in order to do so since it requires a lot of hardwork. If in case you needed to replace many car parts, visit carparts.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the future people i just replaced the valve cover gasket and it sucks.

The manifold has to come off and all the other misc things like hoses and plugs.

After, there's one valve cover bolt located underneath the tops of the timing gear cover (plastic piece) which is only accessible by removing it however... i opted to drill a hole through it to get a socket on it.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento EX
5 Posts
The value cover gasket replacement and spark replacement is going to take me about 9 hours. I have 7 hours in it now. It is not hard but it is a long job to complete. On the right value cover, there is one bolt under the front timing chain cover. I cut part of the cover off to get the bolt out and then patched the whole with a piece of hard plastic. If you are going to try this I suggest you get some air tools to speed up the process. There are a lot of bolts to remove. You should also get all the information you can from Youtube and Kiainfotech before giving this a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Success

I just did an 06 KIA Sedona valve cover gasket set, spark plugs, and alternator. The oil was weeping onto the alternator which causes it to fail.

It is a serious job. It took me like 8 hours and I am pretty good, plus friends gave me extra hands, so be prepared. The wire harnesses are kind of a pain, but if you can't figure one out, look elsewhere on the vehicle for an example that is easier to get to.

If you're an intermediate DIY mechanic, I encourage you to do this job, but BE PATIENT, commit to acheiving it, and take pictures along the way! You will work it out one step at a time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I should mention that 8 hours included setup, cleanup, lunch and some goofing off. And if I did the job over again could probably do it in 4.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the future people i just replaced the valve cover gasket and it sucks.

The manifold has to come off and all the other misc things like hoses and plugs.

After, there's one valve cover bolt located underneath the tops of the timing gear cover (plastic piece) which is only accessible by removing it however... i opted to drill a hole through it to get a socket on it.
I wish you posted a picture where to drill the hole, i am working on one vehicle 05 sedona 3.5 liter.:(

·
Registered
2003 3.5,part time 4WD,stickshift
31 Posts
It is under the power steering pump. Remove a few timing cover bolts on the top , pry it open , then you will see where to drill the hole.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Timing Gears? It is belt drive. You don't need to touch that. Just lift it off once you have undone all the bolts and cleared up above it.

·
Registered
2008 Sedona, base model.
54 Posts
All this info is super helpful.

Does anybody think it's worthwhile to check the valve clearances while the covers are off? I'm doubtful as there seems to be no way to adjust them without taking the engine half apart.....

am

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona LX
70 Posts
I would look into this. I am a new Kia owner (Sedona) myself.
My friend feels pretty sure these are hydraulically lftters (which control the valve clearances) so the the valve clearances are set automatically and aren't adjusted by humble people like ourselves, lol.

Edit: I looked around a bit. Appears at least from 2006 on Kia stopped doing the HLA (hydraulic Lifters) approach and now has solid lifters and there are no adjustable shims for us to swap in and out.
They are 'serviced' by removing entire camshaft(s) and replacing en masse - all at once.

So basically, it's not a traditional service item for us DIY folks like the older i4 Honda cars and motorcycles I'm familiar with adjusting.

Your question though was a good one. I asked my friend the very same question before I was going to start replacing my front valve cover gasket as well, which triggered his response.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts