Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dropped off my 2006 kia sorento yesterday with mechanic to have valve cover gasket replaced..also plugs and wires..after putting it all back together getting a spark in every cylinder but is still missing..any ideas?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,529 Posts
Yes. Take it back and make them fix it. They probably did not put the wires back in their proper position and you are getting cross fire. Any codes??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Take it back and make them fix it. They probably did not put the wires back in their proper position and you are getting cross fire. Any codes??
it is readiing P304 and P305..cylinder 4 and 5 are not firing, but there is spark at the plug...pulled it back apart today and still no answer..

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,413 Posts
What I'm getting from this is it was misfiring before, and you had the plugs and wires replaced to fix the misfire? Was it properly diagnosed? Were the plugs and wires due anyway or just a guess?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was not misfiring before at all...gave them the plugs and wired to do in addition to replacing the valve cover gasket..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
only reason I had valve cover gasket replaced was because I was smelling burning oil..other than that ive never had an issue with this car..i bought with 1 mile and have been the only owner..had timing belt done last summer..no problem..this guy is a mechanic of 40 years and claims hes never had this problem and is completely stumped..need my car back :( hes telling me to take to a kia mechanic now $$$

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It was not misfiring before at all... gave them the plugs and wires to do in addition to replacing the valve cover gasket.
Obviously the mechanic has some more work to do. What sort of mechanic would return a car that was misfiring?

As mentioned, routing of wires or bad connections a possibility. Bad plugs or not correctly gapped is another.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my bad for letting this job be done on the side..hes going to give it back ad charge no labor fees..hes had 3 people look and they cant figure it out..so frustrating!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
he mentioned having the crank shaft sensor replaced?? does this make sense?
The CSS could cause this problem but it sounds like he is fishing for answers on your dime. Not knowing what he took off when he did the VC I can only guess what the cause is. The 2 cylinders that are affected do not share the same coil so I don't think it is that. When I did mine a year ago I managed to pinch an injector lead so it broke the brittle snap plug. I bought a new harness and replaced it. It is possible he may have pinched or unplugged a few injector clips and is causing the missfire. It is probably something very simple. YOU should not be attempting to fix it. HE should be footing the bill at the KIA dealer to get it repaired.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The CSS could cause this problem but it sounds like he is fishing for answers on your dime. Not knowing what he took off when he did the VC I can only guess what the cause is. The 2 cylinders that are affected do not share the same coil so I don't think it is that. When I did mine a year ago I managed to pinch an injector lead so it broke the brittle snap plug. I bought a new harness and replaced it. It is possible he may have pinched or unplugged a few injector clips and is causing the missfire. It is probably something very simple. YOU should not be attempting to fix it. HE should be footing the bill at the KIA dealer to get it repaired.
Thank you so much nstoolman1..Im a single mother of 3 kids..I work 7 days a week with both jobs..I need my car that I have taken such good care of and was trying to save $ in this process..at this point I just will call my insurance co because I have towing and get it to someone else..Im so worried something more will happen to it so much for enjoying the holidays :( i know it seems silly but this has rocked my world..what was told was a 3 hour job has turned into a nightmare for me anyway!

·
Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. That gasket is easily replaced on many older cars, but on modern engines, there's a lot of bits and pieces in the way that have to come off first. If your mechanic wasn't experienced with KIAs, something could easily have gone wrong.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. That gasket is easily replaced on many older cars, but on modern engines, there's a lot of bits and pieces in the way that have to come off first. If your mechanic wasn't experienced with KIAs, something could easily have gone wrong.
This ^^^^.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys..so i brought your email and your suggestion to the attention of the guy doing my car..it was 8pm tonite when he called and said that by me going on this forum has really helped him..he mentione that hes got it figured out and that I need a new harness that goes to the fuel injectors?? I called Advance Auto and they can not get it..do you have any suggestions for me as to reputable site to order parts for Kia? Im really hoping this resolves the issue..he mentioned all the wires were melted together?? Said he could black tape them if the part was too espensive..pretty soon I will be able to be my own mechanic here ..I trust your opinion and I thank you so much for helping me to figure this out even tho I shouldnt be the one having to do this!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Need more info.
Build date?
Engine size?
Vin # sent by PM.

I don't know if the injector harness is the same but my 03 is about $62. You can call the dealer and get a price and part number. With that info you can go online and plug the numbers in and get a price with shipping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bought the injector harness for 80.00 from Kia dealership..with it being the holidays I was able to pick it up today and give it to the guy that STILL has my car..got a phone call this evening that the injector harness is STILL not the problem..still misfiring..will pick the car up tomorrow and put matters into my own hands..any other possibilities? its getting spark at the plug and power to the injector he says..

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Well, the camshaft sensor is right there on the driverside front of the valve cover. It is possible a blade got bent or the wire is not clipped in the socket properly. I just got through replacing my DS VC so I know how easy it is to hit it when installing the cover.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We got the car back today. We swapped the plugs (NGK), swapped the wires between number 5 and 2 and 4 and 1 to eliminate a bad wire. Also swapped the coil pack for 2 and 4. Number 5 cyclinder is still not firing at all. We erased all codes and are only getting a number 5 misfire code now. Not sure if the mechanic working on this got a number 4 misfire for some other reason or not but only number 5 is missing now. I plan on taking it all apart tomorrow to look for any other issues. Would a crank sensor cause only number 5 cylinder to miss?? Also, could coolant be getting into the cylinder via the manifold gasket having a bad spot. Not sure why the guy did not replace these since he already had them, but he took them back. Also tried spraying ether around the gaskets to see if there was an air leak but no luck. Thanks for any help.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.