Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been looking at the spec of all the picanto models including the glamour. perhaps I am bias but I think the LX model is the best value for money. It doesn't have alloy wheels and a few other things on the outside but it seems to make up for it on the inside. What do other readers think :460:

·
Registered
18 Posts
The SE was by far the best value for money model but they are not producing it any more. Your best bet would be to buy a 6 month old SE with everything on it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure it's really true that a six month old sx would be a better buy. Currently with an LX you get one years free insurance (worth £600 for my girlfriend), and with www.drivethedeal.co.uk you can get £450 of the price so in our instance we'd have had to get a SE for £5500 to get the same deal.

Am I right in thinking you just get alloy wheels and two extra speakers (and a spoiler!?). So on a Picanto only the speakers seem like a shame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up my new lx Picanto on Thursday, 1st September.

I have got alloy wheels as an extra and am extremely pleased with the car and consider it exceptional value particularly with the free insurance as well.

Definitely better value than the Glam in my book.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well actually I only paid £5795 for my Picanto SE with delivery miles on the clock. The dealer had failed to sell its quota for 2004 and on 31st Dec 2004 had to register a load of cars to protect their dealership status. By 1st March 2005 they had failed to sell all of these 'pre-registered' cars and since the 05 plate had then been launched they had to discount the 54 registered stock to get rid of them.

Even better, it hasn’t actually depreciated yet. This is partly due to the low price I paid and partly because the revamping of the Picanto models seems to have created demand for the top spec SE on the used market. Basically it's 9 months old with 7000 miles on the clock and I’d still be able to sell it for what I paid!

In my opinion Kia have really messed up with the new models. There is an absence of a true top spec model like the SE for those drivers who want it all. Personally I could not compromise with steel wheels and no spoiler and side skirts, come on they truly make the car. But with the new specs these come at the cost of the body coloured radiator grille, body coloured side mouldings, 2 speakers, one-touch auto drivers window, rear electric windows, electric door mirrors, remote locking, perimeter alarm, leather steering wheel & gear knob, passenger under-seat tray, sliding sun visors and a sunglasses holder.

I ask, how is this ‘glamorous’?

It seems they have offset all this by offering free insurance for a year but that’s not much good if you want alloys and electric door mirrors. A better deal for Kia me thinks, not so good for the consumer.

Maybe the answer is to buy an LX and add the alloys, spoiler and skirts afterwards. I wonder how much that would cost?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree the Glamour model is a complete ripoff.

Because the wheels are so teeny I don't find the difference between them and alloys very obvious. Plus I'll not have to worry about my girlfriends over optimistic approach to parking and curbs.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
I have to admit I do like the SE myself, for the spec its worth it, especially considering re-sale. Over the LX you also get fog lights, aluminium-style trim, and sports style 2 tone seats. In addition to 6 speakers, side skirts, spoiler and decent alloys. There is something about the SE which makes it seem a little more meaty, wider I think which does seem to finsh it off. Just a matter of personal taste i guess...

Mike

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
158 Posts
My vote goes to the EX model, which seames to be like the UK model SE, and LX is LX, and in Denmark the LX is the model without all the good stuff.

ViCan2 owner of a 1.1 EX ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The SE was a brilliant marketing ploy by Kia. Virtually every Press Review was based on the SE. Every reviewer praised the car for the quantity and quality of spec. for the price. They got the rave reviews then dumped the model!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, the SE was by far the best, its stupid they got rid of it hence my post before about it, but if I was to buy new now it'd be the LX, not the glamour.

·
Registered
55 Picanto
161 Posts
it seems to me that they got rid of the SE as it overlapped the LX too much

Now they have a stylish, fasionable car with the external features of the Glamour

and a cheap high spec "basic on the outside" car for people who dont want all the frilly extra's like the pointless spoiler and sill extensions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts