Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else hearing a slight knock or tap on cold start up. It kinda has me annoyed now...^_^

·
Registered
Kia Mohave EX 3.8, Kia Sorento 3.5 V6 2006 and and a Citroen C3 1.4
134 Posts
Oh don't worry.... My friend with a 6.0 V8 Chevy caprice and it is the same thing..... On cold starts this chevy starts making noises and the whole car shakes..... Just wanna say.... PPL do not think that when you are driving a KIA every little noise that you hear occurs only in a KIA. All other cars do it. . If you don't want noises, Just buy a Maybach or a Rollce Royce. :)

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,861 Posts
The only reason you don't hear engine noises in a Maybach or Rolls is that they have about 1/2 ton of sound insulation in the cabin. The noise is most likely only valve gear related until full oil pressure reaches the area, most cars do it to some extent..

·
Registered
09 borrego new 03 dodge diesel
82 Posts
EXV8
It could be a couple of things
1-Old oil when was your last oil change?
2-Sadly piston slap from a calapsed piston "warrenty" Once it warms up expands noise goes away.
I would talk to your Kia dealer you will need to leave it over night so that they can do the first cold start of the day.
If it is excessive it will be covered under warrenty kia seems to be top drawer when it comes to that.
Hope it helps

·
Registered
GSXR1000, Aprilia SXV550, Aprilia RSV4 Factory
146 Posts
Anyone else hearing a slight knock or tap on cold start up. It kinda has me annoyed now...^_^
Yes, I have had this occur once on my Borrego. It was a light tapping sound like a tappet or cam follower losing its prime. It went away in about 60 seconds and it has never done it since. I attributed to the fact that the Borrego had set for almost 2 weeks without being started and the oil had run down. If it occurs again, I will contact my dealer.
Robert V

·
Registered
GSXR1000, Aprilia SXV550, Aprilia RSV4 Factory
146 Posts
It could be ambient temperature related. I don't know how cold it is in your area, but, it's not cold yet here. Engine noises are normally worse with a cold engine startup. That's why that I may not have this problem yet.
Robert V

·
Registered
2 Posts
My V6 does the same thing. What is happening is the hydraulic lifters bleed down and loses pressure. Once the engine starts oil pressure builds back up and feeds the lifters. This is not a "normal" condition. I had the factory rep inspect my Boreggo and was told it was normal. I don't buy the explanation but not much I can do until they acknowledge the problem and come out with a repair.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My V6 does the same thing. What is happening is the hydraulic lifters bleed down and loses pressure. Once the engine starts oil pressure builds back up and feeds the lifters. This is not a "normal" condition. I had the factory rep inspect my Boreggo and was told it was normal. I don't buy the explanation but not much I can do until they acknowledge the problem and come out with a repair.
Do DOHC motors have lifters??

·
Registered
Kia Borrego
6 Posts
V* Knock on First Start

I heard more of a tapping sound like a lifter was loose in my engine (V8). I contacted the dealer and they told me the CVVT engines makes a slight tapping sound, it is supposedly normal. Well, one saturday morning I started it up and hear this terrible noise, the check engine light came on and flashed about 15 or 16 times (don't know exactly). The odor was very bad. I called the dealer and they suggested I bring it down. The code delivered a new CVVT Oil pump or something to that effect. Anyway, I don't hear the tapping sound as much, but I do like my vehicle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hmm...Getting an oil change today. Have always thought it has a rough sound when it starts. Never had a brand new car that sounded this way from the get go. We'll see if the oil change helps. Will ask about the service bulletin.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a Euro V8 SUV before the Borrego and it did the exact same thing, only worse. This is a very common noise for a new technology 4+ valve/cylinder V8.

I've heard of some aftermarket engine lub additives that help with cold start friction noises, but afraid to try on a new engine.

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,861 Posts
I had a Euro V8 SUV before the Borrego and it did the exact same thing, only worse. This is a very common noise for a new technology 4+ valve/cylinder V8.

I've heard of some aftermarket engine lub additives that help with cold start friction noises, but afraid to try on a new engine.
I always use a longlife teflon additive in my cars from the first oil change after the engine has done a few miles and loosened up a bit. I use a nulon product that is made here in Australia, but any of the well known brands will work ok. You do actually notice a change in engine noise and the revs used at certain speeds actually drops slightly. I don't think using an additive would cause any warranty problems. :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a cold-start noise in my Rio, that was remedied by adding 1 oz. of seafoam to the crankcase, the day before I took it to get the oil changed.

Ever since, no more noise from under the hood. The most common response I get it about the oil/lubrication not making it's way throughout the engine at the coldstart and it causes the noise; I always ran 5W-20.

If you're scared of additives, you could try lowering your oil weight (no lower than the recommended though, obviously.....) for better cold-start flowability (haha).

·
Registered
08 Sonata LTD 3.3, 10 Dodge 1500 Hemi, 95 Taurus GL, 09 Sonata GLS 2.4
479 Posts
Anyone else hearing a slight knock or tap on cold start up. It kinda has me annoyed now...
This could be a balky hydraulic timing chain tensioner. Hyundai had similar problems on the early Lambda V6 engines (3.3 & 3.8 liter). Sounds like a tappet rattle until the oil pressure comes up during a cold start. I would take it to the dealer since it should be covered under warrenty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts