Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm calling the dealership for an appt. today when they finally wake up and go to work, but....

For the 2nd time last night, our V8 with the push button start failed to start. Symptoms both times: Yellow 'key is here' light is on, but pushing on the brake pedal and hitting the button causes the 'press brake pedal to start the engine' message comes up on the dash. Of course, both times happened to my wife...when I wasn't there.

First time, after 10 minutes it just started. Last night, it wouldn't start at all until I got to her school. Nothing seemed to work, so after about 20 minutes, I shifted into neutral and the truck rolled back about 4 feet. It -then- started right up.

Based on this scant coincidental information, I'm thinking there must be a sensor somewhere, possibly the wheel, where contact is not being made or made cleanly.

Has anyone here had this sort of issue OR a clue how the start the truck mechanisms work? I don't expect to get into the dealership until late next week.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
221 Posts
Isn't there a way to override the system by sticking one end of the fob in a slot somewhere? I know my Corvette has this feature and I thought the Borrego had it too.. Anyway this push button keyless starter thing is crapola. I hate it on my corvette and im glad I have an old fashioned key on the Borrego starts every time!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue isn't the presence of the FOB or lack thereof...it the amber key light indicates it sees the key. I think its the interlock with the brake. At least based on the fact that the dash says 'press brake pedal', not 'you forgot the key you dope'.

·
Registered
2009 Borrego Limited
39 Posts
When it happens, verify the brake lights are working. If not, then it is probably the pedal switch under the dash. If the brake lights do work, then, try starting it without the brake pedal method. You have to first push the button twice. First time to put it in ACC mode, then again to put in in ON mode, then you press and hold the button a 3rd time for about 10 seconds, until it starts. This info is in the manual about how to start it if you have a problem with the brake switch, or brake fuse blowing.

I have tested this on mine, and it does work. My girlfriend uses it to start the vehicle from the passenger side, before I get into the vehicle.

Hope that at least give you a way to bypass the problem and get her going.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel your Pain, But I know how to fix it!

I'm calling the dealership for an appt. today when they finally wake up and go to work, but....

For the 2nd time last night, our V8 with the push button start failed to start. Symptoms both times: Yellow 'key is here' light is on, but pushing on the brake pedal and hitting the button causes the 'press brake pedal to start the engine' message comes up on the dash. Of course, both times happened to my wife...when I wasn't there.

First time, after 10 minutes it just started. Last night, it wouldn't start at all until I got to her school. Nothing seemed to work, so after about 20 minutes, I shifted into neutral and the truck rolled back about 4 feet. It -then- started right up.

Based on this scant coincidental information, I'm thinking there must be a sensor somewhere, possibly the wheel, where contact is not being made or made cleanly.

Has anyone here had this sort of issue OR a clue how the start the truck mechanisms work? I don't expect to get into the dealership until late next week.

Thanks,
Joe
My wife was having the same issue, you will laugh but replicated the issue....
My wife wasnt pressing the brake pedal hard enough.
We even took this to the dealer and they tested the crap out of the car, and today I figured this out. Press the Brake Pedal harder and the issue goes away.
We Love our Limited it rocks!!
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can certainly see that happening....but in our case it's got to be one of those perfect storms of the sensors just aligning properly to not allow it to start. Not a big deal knowing you can just hold the button in for 10 seconds or so....esp. nice if the passenger wants to start the car without getting out.

One day when I have the time to waste, we'll bring it in to get this and the rebooting windows nav system fixed...but knowing the work arounds means i don't have to waste the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks,
Joe
My Borrego Limited is doing the same thing. Did you find out anything from the dealer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife was having the same issue, you will laugh but replicated the issue....
We even took this to the dealer and they tested the crap out of the car, and today I figured this out. Press the Brake Pedal harder and the issue goes away.
We Love our Limited it rocks!!
Thanks
Dave
You cannot push the pedal harder than I am......it still does not work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My wife had the same problem this past winter when it was extremly cold out even though it was parked inside an unheated garage. I took it to the dealer where it was purchased and they did a load test on the battery and it was pooched. Not enough cold cranking amps although everything else seemed to work fine. There was also a couple of codes that came up indicating low power issues.

·
Registered
2009 Borrego Limited
39 Posts
Well...I have had to do the 10 second button press quite a few times over the past two weeks. I have been doing a video documentation on the issue, so that when I take it to the dealer, I can prove to them it is doing it, because we all know that it probably won't happen when I take it to them.

I get in, press the brake pedal, push the start button, and nothing, except the dash telling me that I need to press the brake pedal. Well...I am. Hard, soft, jabbing at it a few times, etc. Nothing works.

I have also tested it being an issue with the gear selector. I have put the vehicle in drive, then back into park, many times, but no luck.

Brake lights do not come on when the problem happens, but I have not had a chance to catch that on video yet. By the time I grab my stick to push down on the brake pedal, and walk to the back of the vehicle, everything starts working again, and I can start the vehicle normally. I will catch it at some point, when I have more time to get the video camera on my phone running, and get my stick out quick enough.

One thing I have noticed though...as soon as I hold the button down 10 seconds, and the vehicle starts, the brake lights will start working immediately. That is with me putting my foot on the brake before I start holding the button down, and I continue to hold my foot on the brake during the whole time of holding the button down. Just strange that the brake lights will suddenly light up as soon as the vehicle cranks.

I have been trying to document it very clearly and fully detailed, because I do not want any BS from my dealer saying "we can't find anything wrong". I will not accept that as an answer when I have video proof of the issue.

So...anyone else having this issue, and has anyone else talked to the dealer about it?

I'm pointing my finger slightly at the battery issue that was discussed above. I have had a message on my Nav screen come up a few time over the last few months that says "Discharge Warning", and telling me to make sure I have turned off all accessories. I have been trying to catch a picture of it on the screen, but it happens so randomly, that I keep missing it. Anyone else seen this, or have info about it?

Thanks!
Butch

·
Registered
2009 Borrego Limited
39 Posts
Dropped my Borrego into the Kia dealer this morning for oil change/tire rotation/seat back recall, AND to have them investigate the starting issue.

Well....Kia dealer just called.

Response I expected....They say that they can't reproduce the problem, so there is nothing we can do. Well....No crap. I told you that it probably would not happen while you have it. I showed them the video of the problem happening, but apparently that is not good enough for them to start replacing anything. That is BS on their part. I don't expect them to replace the whole vehicle, but I do at least want to see them replace some simple/cheap things just as a start. Just replace the brake switch first, and tell me to give it a try and let them know. At least it shows an attempt on their part, even if it isn't the fix.

I told them that I want something in writing showing that they have made Kia aware of my issue, and that they can't reproduce it, but that I have video evidence of the issue. I want something to prove that it has been documented with Kia, so that when I get pissed off enough about the issue, I can take it up directly with Kia.

Oh well...We will see how good of a job they did on my seat backs when I get there. Will be nice to get rid of those crappy plastic ones. Those things were ruined in the first 3 months of having the Borrego!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dropped off my Borrego to the dealer today and they also said "that has never been reported." I gave them my opinion about the brake line sensor before I left. They just called and said I was right. The brake line sensor was changed and that alleviated the problem with the recent "check engine" light and the "downhill" sensor light. The seat back covers are on back order still.....so I will get them changed later. It is somewhat concerning that the girl at the service desk said she had never heard of a "Borrego" before! I have never seen another Borrego on the road over this past year. I love my limited edition.

·
Registered
GSXR1000, Aprilia SXV550, Aprilia RSV4 Factory
146 Posts
My dealer had the seat-back up-grade kit in stock. I was a little suprized.
You are correct about NOT seeing many, if any, Borregos on the road. I have seen a few but, never a Limited like mine. I kinda like that. I would like to talk to another owner locally and see what promped him to buy it.
Robert

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego EX V8 2WD
111 Posts
I am with you. I really like having a car that not many people have. I live in small town in southwest Ohio. You rarely see a kia ti begin with. Never a Borrego. The guys at the local auto parts store didn't even know it existed. At a light a guy in a cadilac cts thought he was pretty sweet until I left him in the dust. He was probably thinking, ewe a kia. Yeah, one with 337 HP...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am having the same problem re failure to start. I am going to the dealer on Wednesday, I am thinking it might be the battery load.

·
Registered
2009 Borrego Limited
39 Posts
I am having the same problem re failure to start. I am going to the dealer on Wednesday, I am thinking it might be the battery load.
Let us know what they say...

I'm planning on taking mine to a different dealer in the next week or two. The problem is getting worse. I'm actually hoping it just gets bad enough to happen all the time, so the dealer has no excuses to not investigate it more.

I really don't want to take it to this other dealer, because I have heard bad things about them, but I figure it will be worth the chance if I can convince them to actually *try* to fix it, unlike the 1st dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have the dealer do a load test on the battery and maybe reflash the PCM. Like I stated earlier that the dealer did a load test on the battery and it didn't have enough cranking amps to start but everything else was ok.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem and the dealer could not duplicate it. I can't trust my Borrego. Did some snooping on the Hyundai site and it seems they had the same problem. Since Kia bought a substantial interest in Hyundai, thought they may be sharing technology. I cut/pasted an input from the Hyundai site below that points to a brake sensor switch:

"My dealership was able to duplicate the problem. YEAH!!! The brake switch is the issue. It had an open internal circuit. The part number 93810-3K000 was replaced under warranty. I haven't had a problem since. "

Link to the forum is below, Trooper

Push button start problems - please help - Hyundai Genesis Forum

1 - 20 of 41 Posts