Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done watching fast and furuos 6 and I relized that a v8 would be allot easier than tryin to mod this 4 cilynder. What v8 would fit well ? I found a ford 5.0 with the vortex heads for WAY cheaper then the replacedment kia 4 banger, at the pull your own yard. can i make a 5.0 fit in my Spectra? my cousin knows how to weld really good so no problem there.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just got done watching fast and furuos 6 and I relized that a v8 would be allot easier than tryin to mod this 4 cilynder. What v8 would fit well ? I found a ford 5.0 with the vortex heads for WAY cheaper then the replacedment kia 4 banger, at the pull your own yard. can i make a 5.0 fit in my Spectra? my cousin knows how to weld really good so no problem there.
Well......this is an interesting idea, I can't offer much help but I can and will subscribe to the thread! I love when people do things like this.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
whether it fits or not is one thing, but the other is power transfer.

is it manual or A/T? With manual might be a bit easier to get a stronger clutch, play with tranny or get a whole set from other ride.

Back to the engine.
V8 is like double I4 - its length is about same. But its width and weight worry me.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
It would also HAVE to be RWD these no way a V8 AND a FWD trans is going to fit the a Spectra engine bay.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I plan to do a ls swap in my 05 spectra5 in a few yrs. going to
do a 6 liter ls with a t56 tranny. will use a narrowed ford
9" for a rear end, and subframe reinforcements to ensure the
tiny body can take the torque. should be a fun car.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
If you fit a Complete V8 Engine + Transmission in the Front of such a small car, you'll end with a Front lowered by the overweight, and even compensating it with beefier suspension, the Brakes will never be enough to safely drive & stop it; also steering and Handling will become Dangerous too...

In other words, yes you could do This:

Yes it will. I will make it fit.
But remember, that everything could be possible does not mean that everything is lawful... and I bet that you'll end spending too much money to make a V8 Spectra roadworthy, that it will be Easier & Cheaper to buy a entire car that came from factory with a V8 already fitted; because everything on it will be engineered proportionally to its Weight, Torque and Horsepower.

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
76 Posts
right. an aluminum ls motor will have very little negative weight
affect on the front end. a heavier front spring will take care of it.
if you can shoehorn a ls v8 in a Miata, then it will be just as at
home in the front of a kia.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the early lt1 motors had what is called optispark, which
is a previous version of the cam position sensor / ignition
system rolled up into one.

there are actually two parts - the optical cam position sensor,
which is VERY susceptible to moisture. the other part is the
rotor conducts the spark, very similar to a distributor cap,
but is also prone to moisture and kind of evokes an "ozone"
layer inside the cap that corrodes over time.

you can buy a system that bypasses the opitspark unit, but
its just more trouble than its worth, and the reason gm
came out with the "ls" version, with individual coil packs and
an updated cam sensor, vs the optispark system.

two main reasons they go bad - one is due to bone headed
replacement ( install error ), and / or a leaky water pump,
as the optispark is mounted underneath.

as for the troll remark, there kiazilla, 'im sure there's a reason
your on a kia forum :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
That would be a fun little ride done correctly. BTW...no such animal as an '82 SS Camaro and Opti-Spark was on the LT series engines of the '90's.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Why not just buy a car that has a bigger engine? This is a noble idea, however I dont think you have the full weight of how hard of a project this will be. IF you are able to do this, it will be with so much money gone and time wasted, just to have an inferior product because this car was not ment for such a thing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
meh, you could shoehorn a ls engine in a spectra fairly easily.
yes it would cost money, but so would another car with a bigger
engine.

net net here is horsepower to weight ration :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts