Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are seriously considering getting a 2014 Sorento to replace a 2010 chevy equinox V6 that has had a lot of warranty work done. We've narrowed it down to a V6 SX model, but can't decide between AWD or FWD. We live in the south and it might snow once a year. We do go on snowboarding trips to the NC mountains 3-4 times during the winter where snow and ice is on the road. What are some opinions? AWD or FWD? Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
I say go with the FWD. I doubt you'd plan a trip to the mountains in a snow storm. I live in the upper midwest so mine is AWD since we get a fair amount of snow storms up here. Good luck in either of your choices. Its a great vehicle!

·
Registered
427 Posts
AWD all the way!! Sounds like there is very little mileage to be gained by going with FWD. And the first time you get stuck on a small, snow covered hill, you'll be wondering why you didn't just spring for the extra $1800.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
We get lots of snow where I live but have never been in a situation where needed AWD to bail me out. Sounds pretty marginal to me to be "worth" another $1,800. Decision was academic for me as AWD was standard equipment in my SX

·
Registered
427 Posts
We get lots of snow where I live but have never been in a situation where needed AWD to bail me out. Sounds pretty marginal to me to be "worth" another $1,800. Decision was academic for me as AWD was standard equipment in my SX
Not sure about the Canadian models, but in the US every trim is available in FWD or AWD (for $1800).

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
AWD is only an option in the lower trim lines here; guess because of weather considerations.
Lot of differences between Cdn and U.S. cars even where model number is the same.
Top line here is the SX, which is equipped more like the U.S. SXL with exception of the nappa leather.
Only option offered on the SX here is 3rd row seat.
If AWD had been an option for $1,800, would have passed.
Think lot of folks over estimate what AWD is capable of doing and get too aggressive.
In bad winter weather it is often the AWD vehicles that are the first in the ditch.
Little point to AWD for "wintery" conditions if don't also have winter/cold weather tires.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
27 Posts
Just like a car that comes with a spare tire. I may never use it... but nice to have if I ever need it. I don't get a lot of snow here, but maybe having AWD and lock is better than FWD and having to chain up for those few days it does snow. We don't have the amount of snowplows like the mid west. If you might need it ... get it. That's what I say

1 - 8 of 8 Posts