Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of us here who are about to purchase a Rio5 would like to know the differences between UVO and the Navigation system. Besides gaining navigation ability and a bigger screen, what am I actually missing or giving up by going with UVO?

For me personally, I'm really wondering if - when using Navi - am I able to use voice recognition to make handsfree cell dialing? Apparently you can do this through UVO.

I can't for the life of me find detailed info on either... anywhere (I also can't get access to KGIS for some reason).

Can anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
My understanding is that with the Nav you still maintain the ability to make voice activated calls, as with any bluetooth system, but you lose the ability to control your music and media through voice.

My concern with Nav is the maps themselves. Maps are constantly changing as new roadways are built and accesses are changed. I prefer to use Google Navigation on my Andriod phone. That way I know the maps are almost always up to date.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
I'm going to take heat for saying this, but I think the uvo system is rather useless. maybe I'm not using it right, I don't know.

I haven't encountered a situation where doing something with the radio was easier through voice commands then by doing it manually. maybe you are very anal about keeping your hands on the wheel? or perhaps it's more helpful when you have 10000 songs in the jukebox. which I don't have.

if all you're giving up is the voice activation stuff, I'd rather the bigger screen. the touch screen with uvo is nothing great.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I'm going to take heat for saying this, but I think the uvo system is rather useless. maybe I'm not using it right, I don't know.

I haven't encountered a situation where doing something with the radio was easier through voice commands then by doing it manually. maybe you are very anal about keeping your hands on the wheel? or perhaps it's more helpful when you have 10000 songs in the jukebox. which I don't have.

if all you're giving up is the voice activation stuff, I'd rather the bigger screen. the touch screen with uvo is nothing great.
In many respects you are correct. Some things are easier with voice rather than touch tho. For example, playing a specific artist or album are way easier by saying it than by poking at the screen while driving. The only thing I think I would prefer Nav for is the larger screen for back up cam.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
I decided to keep UVO and not have an integrated GPS. I interface well with my current portable GPS model, updates maps free and easily, can take it with me anywhere, and upgrade every few years.

I know UVO was embedded into the cars systems like a Borg implant and just wanted to keep my GPS outside their systems.

Yes the cable is a pain but I'll think of something.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As none of the local dealerships have a 2012 UVO, I'm wondering if it's worth it to spring for the Nav (which is available, in a 2013). Doesn't seem like it - especially when I'd also rather use my iPhone for GPS - but I might be forced to.

Having the ability to make calls via voice is my biggest concern as the car will be mostly for business use. Glad to hear that it's a function of Bluetooth.

So then, the Nav has a bigger screen - good for the backup camera and touch screen real estate... and ... that's it? It looks a bit nicer too I suppose. Hmmm....

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX+Nav
20 Posts
the only other thing i can think of is the nav integration with the stereo as it lowers the volume of your music as it chirps out instructions. the bigger screen for the backup cam is nice.

i'm pretty sure it has all the voice command stuff you want, never use it personally. if there's any specific commands you want i can look it up in the nav manual

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the only other thing i can think of is the nav integration with the stereo as it lowers the volume of your music as it chirps out instructions. the bigger screen for the backup cam is nice.

i'm pretty sure it has all the voice command stuff you want, never use it personally. if there's any specific commands you want i can look it up in the nav manual
... thanks for the offer. But realistically, I suppose the only thing I need it to do on a regular daily basis is make phone calls by voice. If I can say "call home"... or whoever, that would be a huge plus for me.

I'm also thinking (hoping) that the quality of the stereo might be better with the Nav system too. I hear a lot of rumblings about tinny/crappy sound from the UVO, but not from Rio Nav owners. My guess is that the Nav just simply uses a different amp. Cross my fingers.

Anyone have a .pdf Nav manual they can send me? I still can't access KGIS to get one myself.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
Anyone have a .pdf Nav manual they can send me? I still can't access KGIS to get one myself.
not sure what your problem is, are you using IE? Works great for me, been using it for over 5 years.

there is a quick reference guide plus the full manual, here's the quick reference, the guide is too large to upload to this site (10 mb)

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks very much conwelpic - the quick reference guide will do nicely. I've been reading it this morning.

Yeah, the KGIS thing is odd, couldn't get past the User Agreement (kept getting errors or non-response) - and I had tried it in Firefox, Chrome and Safari. But after reading your reply a second time, I realized I hadn't used IE (cause I'm on a Mac). So I booted into my Windows system just now and was finally able to gain access with IE. Yes!

Thanks for the tip :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts