Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like how the analog clock changes from sun to moon clockface at dusk/dawn.

But is it me or does the moon have different phases?

Sometimes it seems full, others in quarter phase.....

Be gentle. I may be losing it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
I've never noticed this.. is this a screen saver on the UVO system?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
On mine its a digital clock... unless this was a different version of UVO... Did you do any updates?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've the latest updates but its been used on my UVO since 7/2012.

Its in the UVO manual. Under 'clock' if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
On mine its a digital clock... unless this was a different version of UVO... Did you do any updates?
it was like this from the beginning, you just select whether you want an analog clock or digital clock for display - see page 22 in your UVO owners manual.
The sun/moon actually changes based on when your headlight switch is turned on.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5, Electronic Blue
25 Posts
I like how the analog clock changes from sun to moon clockface at dusk/dawn.

But is it me or does the moon have different phases?

Sometimes it seems full, others in quarter phase.....

Be gentle. I may be losing it.

I think the new moon was today, so if the display reflects that, then it does reflect the moon phase. Which would be pretty cool. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was like this from the beginning, you just select whether you want an analog clock or digital clock for display - see page 22 in your UVO owners manual.
The sun/moon actually changes based on when your headlight switch is turned on.
Yeah. But I leave my headlights on all the time. Stalk is set to headlights, not auto. And it still switches from sun to moon at certain ambient lighting.

Could it be triggered by the little light sensor bubble in the middle of the forward dash?

I could try daylight driving with my lights off but i really don't want to die just for you guys. No insult intended. Just saying. This car's a real target. Especially with the "ECO" badging.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
when I took those shots you are showing, I just switched on the lights to take the two shots one after the other during the day. Maybe the Rio is different, I do not have auto headlights.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when I took those shots you are showing
And we have a winner. These are very clever shots. Came up when I Googled for UVO pics.

Guess I'll play with the car some today despite killer storms everywhere.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
wow, didn't realize my photos got so famous :D

we are suppose to get nailed today too, but right now it is very calm ^_^

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Could it be triggered by the little light sensor bubble in the middle of the forward dash?
it might be as that little bubble is the sun-load sensor for the climate control generally. it might just operate on the time of day though to be honest. there are a few ways it could be triggered.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
I could try daylight driving with my lights off but i really don't want to die just for you guys. No insult intended. Just saying. This car's a real target. Especially with the "ECO" badging.

I hear you. I removed my "Rio ECO" badging with less than 100 miles on my car! Pickup truck drivers seem to really HATE this car. They think that any car that gets good gas mileage (and has an ECO badge to boot) must be driven by a "wuss" and will ride your rear bumper for shear joy.

I had intended on totally de-badging my car anyways, so this just moved up my time table.

Ford uses the badging "ECOBoost" to keep both sides happy - kind of an oxymoron if you ask me :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I hear you Eli... It looks like this:

Well, driving today with the lights on, I covered the bubble and the sun went to moon. Didn't change from where it was bright moon from about 10'oclock to 2'oclock on the dial face. Rest was dark moon. Like in Conwelpic's picture.

Still I can't help but think I've seen a full moon face, sometime.

Meh.

So, its sensor controlled. Day/night. Those South Koreans are thoughtful. (Or do I have a German to thank?) (Or Bill Gates?) Well Thanks are given anyway. Fun to play with.

Bill, if you're reading these, I'd like some more fun clock options please. :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5, Electronic Blue
25 Posts
I hear you. I removed my "Rio ECO" badging with less than 100 miles on my car! Pickup truck drivers seem to really HATE this car. They think that any car that gets good gas mileage (and has an ECO badge to boot) must be driven by a "wuss" and will ride your rear bumper for shear joy.

I had intended on totally de-badging my car anyways, so this just moved up my time table.

Ford uses the badging "ECOBoost" to keep both sides happy - kind of an oxymoron if you ask me :)
I haven't got ECO badging on my car, but I live in Philly and I deal with pinhead aggressive drivers all the time, lol. Even if I had an ECO badge, I might not even notice a difference in rudeness from the normal number of dunces I deal with. ;)

I see you're from Intercourse, PA. I was literally just in your neck of the woods today, having had lunch at Shady Maple and paid a visit to Kitchen Kettle Village. After lunch, when I went to my car in Shady Maple's parking lot, what was right next to me but an older-model Rio sedan, in a very nice shade of orange. I know it was older because its logo was the mixed-case "Rio" instead of the all-caps RIO on my car. But I don't know enough about the older models to ID what year it was.

Drat. I should have taken a pic of that for the picture thread. :facepalm: I wish I'd thought of that at the time. Oh, well.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seen them. Burnt orange. Love it.

And that area too around Lancastr and driving home via US80.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts