Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the RMS output per channel is on the UVO radios? Is it internal or external amplified if at all???

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
I don't know but I sent an email to Arkamys the French supplier of the sound system in all Rio's as I am curious too.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we'd appreciate sharing the info. Even knowing Arkamys made it is quite a find.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Anyone know what the RMS output per channel is on the UVO radios? Is it internal or external amplified if at all???

Thanks.
I'd like to know too cause the cheap sound coming from the UVO is my biggest complain about my Rio. I browsed the Arkamys Website and there's talk abut a fantastic surround sound even a schema of what is regular stereo "bubble" and the extended surround. No way this surround system powers the Rio UVO. To me, UVO sounds like a 1980's 2 speakers stereo radio. In the driver's seat, you can only listen to the front speakers. The rears have no effect on the listening. I also found some videos that state that the Rio is equipped with this surrounding sound system. But it shows the regular radio, not the UVO.

·
Registered
333 Posts
UVO Sound Quality

Racineur- I quite like the sound quality of the UVO & have the sound adjusted so it's more toward the rear speakers.I have to admit i don't know how old you are & your taste in music but I am 66 years young & enjoy all kinds of Jazz,Big Band & Rock & I like the volume Loud & sometimes on MAXIMUM( When my spousal unit isn't with me:D.My Ipod sounds great(providing the recording was with done with high volume & some recordings were not) & I like Sirius 66 Watercolours. For Metal, Hip-Hop, Rap etc I would have no idea if its any good;)Hope you have experimented fully with all the possible settings in the menu.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Racineur- I quite like the sound quality of the UVO & have the sound adjusted so it's more toward the rear speakers.I have to admit i don't know how old you are & your taste in music but I am 66 years young & enjoy all kinds of Jazz,Big Band & Rock & I like the volume Loud & sometimes on MAXIMUM( When my spousal unit isn't with me:D.My Ipod sounds great(providing the recording was with done with high volume & some recordings were not) & I like Sirius 66 Watercolours. For Metal, Hip-Hop, Rap etc I would have no idea if its any good;)Hope you have experimented fully with all the possible settings in the menu.
Hello rroyce. Thans so much for your comment. I'm 56. Your words have thinking...As hard as I hate to do comparisons with my previous car, I have to say the best asset of my Neon was his stereo. The sound was incredible. I think there was some kind of amplification but I'm not sure. Actually, this is what I miss most. So I may be used to crisp highs and boom-boom lows and punchy middles. Being a child of disco and dance music, I got stuck there and listen to channel 51 on Sirius, some CD's I make and MP3. But the sound coming from the UVO is in no way comparable in quality to the Neon's stereo. I know for sure cause same CD I listened 5 months play pitifully in the Rio. Don't take me wrong: the sound is one the very very few thinks I like less in the Rio. I wouldn't turn the clock back. But I would have liked Kia to offer the option of chosing between "regular" and say the Infinity system found in the Soul. As for "maximum" setting. This is the very first times -for me- in years that I have to use "maximum" if I want some punch and the punch is not there. But at the end, it all depends from where you're coming.
P.S. I will try to adjust toward the rear speakers. And yes I have played with all the possible settings including mega bass...
Thanks again

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
I have to admit we have some pretty cool crowd here in this forum. I'm 43 and if I still keep my preference towards little cars and listen to my rock music to the max like you guys do I will be a happy camper and hope my kids will be proud of having a cool dad!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Just for comparison - the sound coming from my Navi equipped Rio sounds pretty decent. Better than the UVO I tested... for sure. And for reference, I'm a huge Home Theatre nut who loves (and pays close attention to) his sound - so I have a pretty good ear for it (I think :cool:)

Anyway - although neither system is great - I thought the UVO had too much "high end" and nearly zero bass. I couldn't even compensate for it in the settings. The Navi version had a much more 'normal' sound. Not fantastic by any means, but reasonable enough - and noticeably better in the low end. My guess is that the UVO has a crappy amp, which is probably what the OP was trying to find out. :rolleyes: I have no idea of the output, but I'm certain that the amp is only internal.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
13 Posts
The UVO system sounds great when its connected to good amp and speakers. I've been mixing music professionally for more than 25 years and I am impressed by the UVO sound quality.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The UVO system sounds great when its connected to good amp and speakers. I've been mixing music professionally for more than 25 years and I am impressed by the UVO sound quality.
What do you mean? When the car is delivered, is it connected or not to good amp and speakers? Sorry but I'm not the only one to find the sound coming from the UVO is Lo-Fi. If one find it OK, I'm happy but it's still Lo-Fi. And it bugs me cause I don't want to have the dash and the doors teared apart to make room for an amp and better speakers. Been there in the past after the tear apart, the squeaks and rattles start to show...

·
Registered
131 Posts
What do you mean? When the car is delivered, is it connected or not to good amp and speakers?
... I concur. What does Spazoo actually mean here?
And it bugs me cause I don't want to have the dash and the doors teared apart to make room for an amp and better speakers. Been there in the past after the tear apart, the squeaks and rattles start to show...
This too. Racineur makes yet another great point. Why do I need to start ripping apart my brand new car, just to get adequate sound from the stereo?? Maybe in my younger days I'd be all over that, but now - I've got a lot more important stuff to spend my time on... like these forums :rolleyes: lol :lol:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've been mixing music professionally for more than 25 years and I am impressed by the UVO sound quality
Interesting comment. Looking at some other threads, I'm assuming you've added an external amp and replaced the speakers in your Rio. Awesome. Except, it's rarely the head unit that makes the biggest difference in sound quality (the UVO in this case), instead - it's the amp and speakers you added. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX w Conv Pkg, Chestnut .......... 1997 Ford F-150
54 Posts
I have a couple of old posts seeking any UVO stereo info. Arkamys as the radio supplier is new info. Where did you discover this rroyce46?
Thanks for that and please keep us posted if you find more details.

Although the unmodified UVO is not adequate for a lot of us, I feel it is better than most stock set-ups that do not boast premium sound and equal to some that do boast premium sound (Accent for example).

I agree that it would be nice to have a stock stereo that does not need modification. The fact that you can achieve great sound after adding amp and new speakers (per Spazoo) is a good thing. With many cars you would need to change the head unit also.

·
Registered
333 Posts
BULLXYZ-Got it from Korean Rio BROCHURE in English.In Canada we only have a single sheet Brochure on the Rio5(Nothing on the Sedan) so I went to Kia Motors Company | Global Official Website & found a great 30 pages on the Sedan & Hatch with the 1.2 & 1.4 gas engines & on page 15 they mention Arkamus Virtual sound System.I then phoned Kia Canada & they confirmed all Rio's have Arkamus.Unfortunately no response to my email sent 2 days ago yet from Arkamus:mad:They are in France you know;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts