Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking @ purchasing 2013 Sportage EX. Can't decide on whether to get Nav. Really like the bigger screen but have been reading here that the Kia nav is not very good. Is it posssible to connect Iphone 4 maps to the UVO ? Would appreciate any input on the uvo/nav matter. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I chose UVO and here is my decision making:
$1,000 or whatever the cost is, it's not worth to me for a bigger screen. I have an $80 Garmin GPS that beats any OEM nav. I can take it with me anywhere. I also have an iPhone that will give me directions. Any Nav app on an iphone is still cheaper than $1,000 OEM option. Updating maps on OEM units is always weird. Some take updates, some require lots of effort, and others don't provide updates often enough. AND, i test drove a Sportage for 24 hrs with Nav and I didn't like the big screen being so bright at night. I set the brightness setting to it's lowest, and still too bright for my liking.
You can't 'connect' an iphone map to the Nav, but you can pipe the audio over bluetooth to get turn by turn from the phone.

For me, I saved a big cost and spent it on other options.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,956 Posts
Like everything else......don't have the $$$$$, don't get the NAV

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
My 2011 SX has the nav. I also had an EX w/ UVO as well. UVO is nice. Works well. If it also comes paired with Kia's "premium sound package" the system sounds pretty darn good. Way better than a lot of other stock audio systems; that's for sure.

But, I prefer my nav unit I have now. The bigger screen is nice. Backup camera is a bit easier on the eyes (not a big difference, but it's noticeable). The touch sensitivity is WAY better. I had to push hard sometimes on the screen with UVO for it to recognize my selection. The nav unit is much more sensitive and "iPhone like" in regards to how it reacts to your touch.

I also have an iPhone 5 and maps which I used to use all the time. I said the same as you did in your post. But, in my opinion, it's nice to have that info right in the dash. Even with outdated or "crappy software" compared to Garmin and TomTm etc. I rarely ever use the audio turn by turn, but I do like seeing the info on the larger screen without having to mess with my phone.

But, it is ridiculously expensive for an option. Plus, every few years when you want to update the map software it costs a few hundred US dollars. Lame as well...

I have the nav for one reason. It was the only red SX I could find available in a 50 mile radius and it was already installed ;-) Didn't have much of a choice as I wanted that car.

Knowing what I know now, would I buy the nav option if I had the cash and the choice? Yep, I would...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Turns out there's not too many choices. The EX I want wo Nav, is 50 miles away and its the only one within 150 milles. The one w Nav is 220 miles away in NY. I'm 20 mins. S of Boston. Are these Sportages that good? Is there some other reason they are so scarce?

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,956 Posts
Thanks for the input. Turns out there's not too many choices. The EX I want wo Nav, is 50 miles away and its the only one within 150 milles. The one w Nav is 220 miles away in NY. I'm 20 mins. S of Boston. Are these Sportages that good? Is there some other reason they are so scarce?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are selling them (world wide) as fast as they are building them.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went with the nav. along w prem. pkg, and all options including the chrome pipe running boards. Hope I'm happy w Kia after 10 Toyotas and not one issue I can think of. That's how impressed I am with the Sportage ex. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help in this forum..

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
....I chose UVO and here is my decision making: $1,000 or whatever the cost is, it's not worth to me...
You could of grabbed the $500 nav version online or on eBay and even add more options to oem. I Learned that after the fact.

....I have an $80 Garmin GPS that beats any OEM nav. I can take it with me anywhere. I also have an iPhone that will give me directions..
The whole idea of nav is so you don't have to Fumble with your phone or other handhelds launching apps etc...

...I didn't like the big screen being so bright at night. I set the brightness setting to it's lowest, and still too bright for my liking....
There is a night mode where the whole screen goes black background and only street is lit. Perhaps you missed this feature, it's automatic when you hit you headlights, so no dimming required.

The best part about nav for me was the backup camera, really dont know useful it is until you don't have it. Every passenger car should have one and everyone i know always says they would live to have one.

Went with the nav. along w prem. pkg, and all options including the chrome pipe running boards. Hope I'm happy w Kia after 10 Toyotas and not one issue I can think of. That's how impressed I am with the Sportage ex. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help in this forum..
I had a friend who cursed his Toyota daily. With mass production, it sometimes can be hit or miss. Reading these forums alone, you will definitely find some issues with these cars that seem to be inherent nowadays...

Good luck

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Don't get the nav. I have it, it sucks. Slow, the options are so limited (you can't make it avoid toll roads, highways, etc). It gets the job done but for 1000 bucks, I can get a nice big screen Garmin and pocket about 800 dollars.

EDIT - too late it seems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't get the nav. I have it, it sucks. Slow, the options are so limited (you can't make it avoid toll roads, highways, etc). It gets the job done but for 1000 bucks, I can get a nice big screen Garmin and pocket about 800 dollars.

EDIT - too late it seems.[/QUOTE

It must be a different system because mine can avoid any type of road and even specific streets. Nav is not new to me and I seem to value poi's at least as much as finding where to go, so having the most recent update is very important to me. As a result of this forum, I am not sure if I have the most recent update so I got in writing from dealer, a six month window in which their service techs will update for no charge. The bigger screen alone, is worth the money to me, plus getting a better audio system. Also the actual cost was closer to $500 than $1000. If it does turn out to suck, I won't be that unhappy.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Fine, you can pocket $300. I wish I didn't get it, but then again, I agree with you on having the bigger screen. The audio quality is what it is, acceptable, certainly better than Subaru's offerings in that arena, ha ha.

So wait, you can go into your options and check off "avoids" like toll roads, ferries, highways, etc? That is honestly my biggest complaint. Well that and the fact that it costs the amount of a new Garmin to update the map data, which is an anal rape in and of itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. Again, I'm not sure it is the same system. It seems to be pretty good and compared to my last GPS, an Eclipse AVN726E in 2010 ($1250 installed), it's the balls.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Damn man, not going to lie, that kind of pisses me off, lol.

I understand as time goes on, things improve, but GPS has been out a long time. Why did it take Kia this long to figure that maybe, juuuuust maybe, people would like to be able to tailor their routes.

Then again, I could be a dumbass and just missed that part of the settings. Looks like I am going to grab the manual to read before the games start today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even on the Eclipse mfg in 2009, it has the Ferry, toll road, highway avoidance etc.... I never use it and sometimes it defaults to avoid highways which is a aggravating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts