Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to upgrade the Hard drive for the UVO system. Right now it does not hold to much in the way of the music. Has anyone changed the hard drive at all.. if so can you provide documentation at all if it is possible?

Thanks!!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I would be surprised if there's a hard disk in there. It's probably some sort of flash storage. Whatever it is, it's pretty small. Embedded WindowsCE is tiny and there's less than 1GB left over to store music files. I'm thinking the whole thing is maybe on a 2-4GB flash device.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to upgrade it? You can just pop a cheap 32GB USB fob into the USB slot for extra storage.

Best,

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
yes its only 700 mb storage (it certainly won't be a hard drive), I agree its just much easier and cheaper to used a USB flash drive to increase capacity. I just have a small one 1 gb, but leave it in the slot, I fill up the Jukebox (have over 400 tracks on it at present) and then just switch between the two just like two radio stations. Works for me and there is enough music to keep me going for quite a while. On long trips I load my 16 gb flash drive and take that with me.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main reason I want to change the drive is for when I need to charge my phone and or tablet. It would be nice to having the larger drive for that purpose. I do have 2 - 16 gb drives I use for all other purposes though.

Just was thinking of how nice it would be to have the option to switch the drive out if it is possible on the UVO.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
The main reason I want to change the drive is for when I need to charge my phone and or tablet. It would be nice to having the larger drive for that purpose. I do have 2 - 16 gb drives I use for all other purposes though.

Just was thinking of how nice it would be to have the option to switch the drive out if it is possible on the UVO.
For charging my phone, I've got one of those 12V cigarette adapters with a USB port on it. I always have either a 32GB or 64GB flash drive in the USB port on the UVO. The other option is to get a 16GB/32GB/64GB microSD card for your phone. Enable USB connectivity on your phone and then treat it as a big USB storage device for music. Calls will still work over bluetooth and you can load up your phone with music. I've done this from time to time.

Best,

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sauron, right now my Samsung Galaxy S2 is not connecting to my UVO via Bluetooth (it used to before I upgraded it to Ice Cream Sandwich :( ) The phone is good and I would not change it for much right now. But I do like to mod things and was hoping to be able to do this with the UVO.

Not sure how long it will take for MS to do an upgrade to get the Samsung S2 to be able to use it once again on the Bluetooth with the UVO again.

I have a cigarette lighter adapter that I use for my laptop and other things. ON a long trip (like the one I took recently) it would be nice to have the option of being able to charge my phone and listen to the drive on UVO instead. :)

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Sauron, right now my Samsung Galaxy S2 is not connecting to my UVO via Bluetooth (it used to before I upgraded it to Ice Cream Sandwich :( ) The phone is good and I would not change it for much right now. But I do like to mod things and was hoping to be able to do this with the UVO.

Not sure how long it will take for MS to do an upgrade to get the Samsung S2 to be able to use it once again on the Bluetooth with the UVO again.

I have a cigarette lighter adapter that I use for my laptop and other things. ON a long trip (like the one I took recently) it would be nice to have the option of being able to charge my phone and listen to the drive on UVO instead. :)
I'm also using a Galaxy S2 and it's working fine for bluetooth (calls and streaming music) and as a USB storage device. It worked with the stock T-Mobile ROM, but I've rooted it and installed a custom ICS ROM and that also works without any problems. Maybe you can give me some background on how you're troubleshooting this and I can help you to get it working.

Best,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts