Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX Hatchback
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my rant/questions on the Jukebox portion of the UVO (I have a 2013 Rio EX) :mad:

All I want to do is copy my songs - with cover art into the hard drive of the Jukebox. Songs copy but not the cover art. If I leave the stick in, the cover art appears, but as soon as I remove it after copying it disappears. Why?
Also the Jukebox is reading double tracks so I have 170 tracks instead of 102 These "ghost" tracks are not liked by Jukebox so when one of those tracks appears, Jukebox stops working and I have to reset. Why?

Oh, and I use iTunes to convert to MP3's and to transfer to the stick. Ugh. Just want this to work properly :( I have tried different sticks that hubby gave me and formatted them over and over again.

I apologize in advance if this issue has been posted, but I could not find anything that was similar to these problems.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Problem with Kia Rio EX 2012 UVO Radio

I have a Kia Rio EX 2012. My UVO radio has been changed 2 times and all three radios had the same issues. When I listen to songs through the USB key, at some point, it seems like the radio loses the signal and it changes to another "mode". For example, I listen to the songs on my USB key, and then, suddenly the radio automatically skip to Radio AM/FM or to the Juke Box. After, I see a white spinning wheel searching for the media (see attached picture). It can happen over 3 times in a period of 30 minutes.

I most often use the USB key feature. But I also had the problem happening in the past with the Jukebox, the AM/FM radio, and also songs that I was playing on my iPhone.

My dealership told me that I was the only one who is having this issue, does anyone else have a similar issue?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Mine does it with my Ipod that I won from Kia Canada:mad:.I'm going to try my other more powerful Ipod.Seems to only do it when the car is in motion.When stopped it's ok.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I have a Kia Rio EX 2012. My UVO radio has been changed 2 times and all three radios had the same issues. When I listen to songs through the USB key, at some point, it seems like the radio loses the signal and it changes to another "mode". For example, I listen to the songs on my USB key, and then, suddenly the radio automatically skip to Radio AM/FM or to the Juke Box. After, I see a white spinning wheel searching for the media (see attached picture). It can happen over 3 times in a period of 30 minutes.

I most often use the USB key feature. But I also had the problem happening in the past with the Jukebox, the AM/FM radio, and also songs that I was playing on my iPhone.

My dealership told me that I was the only one who is having this issue, does anyone else have a similar issue?

Thanks!
I'm having exactly the same problem. It seems to happen very randomly. Sometimes several times within an hour. Other time it doesn't do it for a week. Glad someone else is experiencing this too. My dealer told me it was the Flash drive I was using.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX
54 Posts
My UVO doesn't display art, title, or song when streaming audio from my phone. Doesn't bother me though, as I know all the songs by the first 5 seconds anyways, as my phone is also my workout mp3 player, my walking to work from the train mp3 player, my doing stuff around my house mp3 player.... you get the idea.

That said, my roommate and I both have been able to replicate that the Kingston drives I prefer (a 1 inch drive for 16 GB of storage) doesn't copy albulm art across. When I tried with a RiData 2 GB, it copied over no problem. So I think that there is validity to the argument that it may be USB stick related. The only diff is that the 16gb is USB3 and the RiData is USB2

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
Hi Mztania, I believe I know what your issue is with the ghost files. Not sure on album art problem though. I am willing to bet that regardless of the USB drive your husband formatted for you and the one you formatted, you always use your Mac to copy the music to the drive? OSX as part of its HFS+ file system writes hidden files that have the same file name as the files you copied but are prefixed with a period or dot.

So if you copied ‘mysong.mp3’ to the drive, there will also be a file called ‘.mysong.mp3’ when viewed on a Windows computer. You typically won't see this when viewing the drive on the Mac, but for other computers and operating systems this can cause issues. Plug the drive into a Windows computer and delete all files that start with ‘.’ this should resolve your first problem. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
Former 2013 Rio SX Owner, 2014 Sorento EX
14 Posts

Thanks!
I have the exact same problem. The usb randomly disconnects and quickly reconnects as though someone is pulling the key/iPod out and immediately re-inserting it. So no you are not the only one having this issue. Dealerships are notorious for saying that you are the only person to report it. I have brought mine in several times and the first time they replaced the usb port but of course that didn't work. Now I am scheduled for a new head unit next week but based on what you said, it looks like this won't fix it either.

By the way, what firmware/software are you using?

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
intermittant IPOD

I was @ Dealer yesterday & they replaced the USB port which immediately did not fix the problem.Then then checked out the other end or Radio connection. I'm not sure as they didn't elaborate on exactly what they did but it's all good now:D.Don't think they wanted me to know what they did as they were claiming to Kia the issue was fixed by replacing the USB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the exact same problem. The usb randomly disconnects and quickly reconnects as though someone is pulling the key/iPod out and immediately re-inserting it. So no you are not the only one having this issue. Dealerships are notorious for saying that you are the only person to report it. I have brought mine in several times and the first time they replaced the usb port but of course that didn't work. Now I am scheduled for a new head unit next week but based on what you said, it looks like this won't fix it either.

By the way, what firmware/software are you using?

The way you describe the problem is EXACTLY what I have on my side. It seems that we have the same issue.

Regarding the firmware/software that I am using, I used 4 different USB Flash Drives. I tested with 2 different brand new flash drives that I bought at Staples recently: Kingston DT101 G2 and Lexar 32GB JumpDrive S73 USB 3.0 Flash Drive. I only use it with MP3s and I create subfolders within my Flash Drive.

What about you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was @ Dealer yesterday & they replaced the USB port which immediately did not fix the problem.Then then checked out the other end or Radio connection. I'm not sure as they didn't elaborate on exactly what they did but it's all good now:D.Don't think they wanted me to know what they did as they were claiming to Kia the issue was fixed by replacing the USB.
This is interesting to know. Can you tell me which dealership that you are dealing with? Maybe they could tell my dealership how to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having exactly the same problem. It seems to happen very randomly. Sometimes several times within an hour. Other time it doesn't do it for a week. Glad someone else is experiencing this too. My dealer told me it was the Flash drive I was using.

This is EXACTLY the problem I experienced. It happens intermittently. Sometimes, it can do it 3-4 times within an hour and other times, it won't happen for a week. I am glad that we are talking about it because they say the problem was never reported before. We have to make it a known issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine does it with my Ipod that I won from Kia Canada:mad:.I'm going to try my other more powerful Ipod.Seems to only do it when the car is in motion.When stopped it's ok.
I am highly doubtful that it has to do with your iPod being not enough powerful. I use an iPhone 4s and I have the same issue. I think it is a problem with the radio itself. It seems to have nothing to do with the devices that we are using. Thanks for sharing. We need to speak out so they will do something about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is interesting to know. Can you tell me which dealership that you are dealing with? Maybe they could tell my dealership how to resolve the issue.
I would also like to know this information. This issue is very frustrating and is still outstanding. Perhaps if the dealerships could "compare notes" we could resolve these issues. Obviously this is not a widespread problem. Maybe there was a batch of defective connectors or something that were installed into some models?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also having this problem with my 2013 Rio EX. It started a few weeks after I got the car and continued until winter. With the cold weather I don't recall it ever happening. Now that it has gotten warm, it is happening again. I think it is temperature and/or humidity related. I was able to drive with my AC on while it was cycling between my iPod and the radio and eventually it stopped cycling and I was able to listen to my iPod normally.

I am glad to know that others are having this issue and I am going to talk to my dealer about it. Like everyone else, if I can find out what got replaced the actually fix the problem I would be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone managed to get the intermittent USB disconnecting issue fixed? Mine has gotten to the point that it disconnects every couple of minutes. It is completely unusable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not a Microsoft feature.

UVO and the jukebox are not available on the LX, but the USB port is (and likely has similar issues).
Yeah I am pretty certain this is a wiring or wiring harness issue. People have had their entire head unit replaced and the problem persists.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Accent
137 Posts
Odd thing to me is I am pretty sure the rear of the head unit is a standard USB Type-B connector.

I was thinking about using a standard USB A-B cable to re-locate the USB input to the glovebox, but now I'm reading of all these issues.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts