Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX AWD V6 5 Pass, 2001 BMW 740 iL
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2013 Sorento EX on Friday. I had a 2011 Sorento LX V6 prior to this.

With the 2011, when I plugged in my iPad to play music, everything functioned as it should: I had full contol over tracks, artists, playlists, etc. from the car audio system. All relevant information was displayed on the audio system screen.

With the 2013, I appear to be getting the exact opposite - no control through the audio system, no on-screen display. I can play music from the iPad, but I have to control it manually from the iPad.

Let me first say that I have not completely studied the UVO manual. I normally would not have posted this before consulting the manual, but I just recieved a call from the dealer, following up on our new vehicle.

I mentioned to him the concern with compatibility, as he also drives a 2013 Sorrento with UVO. He said his does the same thing, and that they have raised it to Kia as a concern. He also stated that Kia will be fixing it on future models (which does not help me at all).

Has anyone else experienced this? Do I need to modify a setting or something?

I have a hard time accepting this than anything else other than a glitch or a fault, as having the manipulate your music device manually is downright dangerous in my opinion.

Thanks in advance for the comments / advice.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
What cable are you using to connect your device to the car?

UVO's are not working with the KIA Ipod cable but suggesting using the original Apple cord, BUT.... I have never seen the Ipad listed as compatible. It may be, so check your owners manual of a list of the apple devices that are known to work with your specific year and model.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was using the funky Kia data cable - the one with the 1/8" audio jack and USB combo. I will give it a try with a standard Apple cable. Thanks for the input. (I had not tried this since I did it once on my 2011, and it did not work well, but since this is a 2013 with UVO....)

BTW - I was able to connect my iPod via Bluetooth and it provides some limited control / display output. Obviously not ideal, since it displaces the BT connection to the BlackBerry for phone uses. I know, I know, we should get an iPhone....

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
As time goes by, I become ever less satisfied with the UVO system. It's a constant source of annoyance for me these days as it can't seem to reliably use ANY USB fob (of the dozen or so that I've got) to reliably play music. Any bump or if the cabin temp changes appreciably and it sporadically "loses" the USB and switches back to the radio...only to switch back a few secs later...ad nauseum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am with you, Sauron. It is annoying. One would have assumed that all of the features of the base sound system would be carried over, with added UVO functionality.

WRONG!! - this thing is a totally different animal, and far from refined.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sauron/SkidRoe thanks for mentioning this! I got my 2013 Kia Sorento in December. I had an iPhone 4S and listen to iHeartRadio, Pandora, but mostly audiobooks from a NAS with their iOS app. I started experiencing the exact same thing--i.e. losing connection with the USB and looping between switching to FM and USB. I mentioned it to the dealer and they were dumbfounded and recommended I buy their cable instead of using the USB cable that came with my iPhone. Since it was hard to reproduce, I told them I'd give it another try. Still had the problem. I put some MP3 files on a thumb drive and experienced the problem. Using BT, I don't seem to have a problem but the functionality is incredibly limited. Thanks again for mentioning this. I will share your comments when I return to the dealer so they don't think I'm making this up. I thought it was the USB connection and I was looking to fork out the money to replace it if I wasn't able to get any support from the dealer.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Sauron/SkidRoe thanks for mentioning this! I got my 2013 Kia Sorento in December. I had an iPhone 4S and listen to iHeartRadio, Pandora, but mostly audiobooks from a NAS with their iOS app. I started experiencing the exact same thing--i.e. losing connection with the USB and looping between switching to FM and USB. I mentioned it to the dealer and they were dumbfounded and recommended I buy their cable instead of using the USB cable that came with my iPhone. Since it was hard to reproduce, I told them I'd give it another try. Still had the problem. I put some MP3 files on a thumb drive and experienced the problem. Using BT, I don't seem to have a problem but the functionality is incredibly limited. Thanks again for mentioning this. I will share your comments when I return to the dealer so they don't think I'm making this up. I thought it was the USB connection and I was looking to fork out the money to replace it if I wasn't able to get any support from the dealer.
Yeah, if I use bluetooth this doesn't happen, but then you lose the convenient voice search capabilities, the song name doesn't reliably show up on the screen, etc. While I'm very satisfied with my Sorento in most respects, the UVO system is a buggy POS.

If/when the aftermarket catches up with us, I'll likely yank it out, replace it with an aftermarket unit, and use the UVO for practice next time I'm at the rifle range. It's THAT bad.

:)

Best,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to follow up, I tried my iPad with a regular Apple cable plugged into the USB port: Works fine.

I have yet to experience the system cut out problem, but I will be on the look out for it. One thing that did come to mind: There appears to be a UVO utility in one of the menus to perform a software update. Could that be the problem?

I have a Dice iPod/Bluetooth interface in my BMW 740, and when I have issues with that, it is normally time for a software update. It is pretty easy for this device, simply plug it in to an internet connected laptop, and let the software utility do it's thing.

Doesn't surprise me that you are getting puzzled looks from the dealer. I would likely get the same from mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I've applied the latest update (which was pretty old). I thought that might have been the reason originally. It has happened with me with both my iPhone 4S and a USB thumb drive. It's like it loses connection to the USB device, then almost immediately detects the USB device, tries to read it, then loses connection. The cycle repeats. I got rid of the iPhone 4S for a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it seems Android doesn't play well with my Sorento's USB connection. In any case, SkidRoe, give it time, it'll happen. :)

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
As time goes by, I become ever less satisfied with the UVO system. It's a constant source of annoyance for me these days as it can't seem to reliably use ANY USB fob (of the dozen or so that I've got) to reliably play music. Any bump or if the cabin temp changes appreciably and it sporadically "loses" the USB and switches back to the radio...only to switch back a few secs later...ad nauseum.
Have you tried this one ?
Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ33-016G-B35: Electronics

it works very well for me, no disconnect at all. It sits in socket very tight.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
ok.
to me it looks like an electric connection problem than.
Like wire between socket and headunit have bad or loose conact.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm starting to share Sauron's view of UVO ('disappointing' is putting it mildly). I've been listening to an audiobook on a thumb drive, dealing with the known disconnect issue. Now UVO only sees 2 MP3 files on the thumb drive. There are at least 23 MP3 files. I can put the thumb drive in dang near any computer (PC, Mac, tablet, etc.) and all files are intact. I scanned the thumb drive for issues, nothing. I figured, what the heck, I'll just reload the UVO software, thinking that might, at least, fix that issue. Nope, it detects the version is already installed and won't re-install. I now say 'to heck with it' and I am listening to music and audiobook through my Android phone via BT. I know I can probably format the thumb drive and try again or use another thumb drive but at this point I don't see why I should have to. I can also copy them to the jukebox but I'd have to make sure the file names are such it'll play them in sequential order. Not exactly seeing UVO as a step forward.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts