Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to see if what I have going on with my UVO system are considered "issues" or if its just the way it is right now (aka it needs work).

1. Bluetooth - my phone automatically connects when I jump right into the car (Droid Razr Maxx). However, my phone will show solid blue and connected, but my UVO shows the bluetooth icon blinking for almost a full minute sometimes before turning a solid blue color, which only then can I actually use it. Is this normal, or is there a way I can fix this?

2. Seeking songs - every time I skip to a new song on either Jukebox, USB, or Ipod, it skips the first 2-3 seconds of the song every single time. This is annoying. Same for everyone else?

3. UVO back to default - Let's say I selected that I wanted to play the artist "Mumford and Sons" and album "Babel" - it will show 1/15 songs for this playlist. Say I hit shuffle as well. All is good. Then, I stop at the gas station and turn off the car. When I return, it will still be playing whatever song it was that I left off on, but, now it shows something like 103/2093 (if I had 2093 songs on my Ipod or USB ), and shuffle is disabled. So, it has exited the album playlist I was on and will just play the next song in alphabetical order on my device. Lame! same for everyone else?

4. Album artwork on USB - this is completely hit or miss. Imported all the songs from my Ipod folder to USB, which I had updated all with album artwork using Itunes. I tried setting the ID tag to the most recent for all songs. However, when I play on UVO with my USB, it only shows artwork like 25% of the time. LAME!

5. UVO startup - sometimes it plays instantly, and sometimes it takes damn near a minute to boot up (it just shows the startup screen). While booting up, the rear-view camera doesn't work either until it all finally kicks in. DOUBLE LAME.

6. This next one isn't a true issue, but just a complaint on the overall layout for music. They don't have a "search" available for it. However, they have one for the phone. By this I mean if I hit "explore my device" or whatever, it starts at the top of the list alphabetically. If I have 100 artists, I have to hit the down arrow a good 30-40 times to get to anything in the WXYZ artists group. Why don't they have a simple little search icon where I can just hit "W" and it jumps to those artists?? If it has it for the phone where I can hit "search" and hit any letter and it jumps to people that start with that letter. simple. (Yes, I can say "play artist - Mumford and Sons," but this just immediately plays all songs by them and doesn't let me select an album. Plus it hates my voice a lot and I end up just swearing at the lady when it doesn't work).

So - out of these 5 (or 6) issues... do these all seem NORMAL to everyone? Or perhaps there is something wrong with my new system? I bought the car in August brand new and love it otherwise, and it has the latest UVO update from 9/15/2012 on it. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
well, in regards to 1.

I turned off the contacts sync and now it shows the solid blue connection immediately... so I thought I had it fixed... however, now it doesn't recognize ANY of my contacts when I try to say them. "Sorry, please say a command." I end up swearing at her after the 3rd time and hitting end. All of my contacts still show up on the UVO, so wtf mate.

In regards to 2.

I noticed that this actually does not happen when playing through Ipod (need to check the Jukebox). Does everyone get the 2-3 second intro skip when playing through their USB?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
have you tried hitting the reset button to see if it makes a difference? You can also set up a profile for your voice so that it will recognize it more clearly.

I do not use a phone on mine, however I do store tracks on the Jukebox and also use the USB port with a flash drive, can't say I've noticed any skipping of the first 2-3 seconds of the track in either case.
Album artwork can be hit and miss and find that if its originally stored as a album folder on the flash drive rather than an individual track it appears to be always okay. I use WMP to create my mp3 tracks, I don't know anything about Ipods.

My UVO always starts up right away (after a few seconds), not encountered any problems with my rear-view camera.

I notice that Shuffle stays active all time on the Jukebox, but on the flashdrive you have to reset it if the vehicle is turned off - bit annoying but this is normal - unless its been solved by the upgrade (don't have it).

If you have a flash drive in, and on the USB Menu screen, I find its quicker to find stuff on the flash drive by selecting "Albums" on that screen than my selecting "Explore USB" and then searching that may. Things do not operate all the same way just depends on which may you go into them - at least that's what I'm finding. However, most of the time I just switch onto Jukebox and select shuffle and that's enough for me, with 100's of tracks on there it take quite a while to get through them, or I'll switch to my flashdrive and do the same, just treat them like two radio stations, switching back and forth when I feel like it.

I only use a 1GB flash drive for daily use, but on a long trip I'll fill up a 16GB unit. I do not remove the flash drive each time I stop, but try to just shut of the unit first, never had any problems, that way it doesn't have to reload each time and it starts right where its finished off on that track.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have UVO, but I believe there is a new software update for it. Contact your dealership for details.
I definitely have the latest edition, I checked with their main site and also the forums. appears that everyone has the track/shufflle reset issue, so hopefully they resolve that soon.

So for the USB, its not really 2-3 seconds, but it definitely skips part of the intro (say a song kicks in with bass or something, it's already a few ticks into the bass so you don't actually hear it initially kick in when the song starts). This only happens on USB... maybe it's my USB stick, as I do not have that issue with my IPOD

I also did the reset with the paperclip thing... thanks for the suggestion, forgot that was there. Haven't had the boot-up hang-up issue since I did that a few days ago.

Voice command/bluetooth - this still is a pain. It syncs for about a minute if I leave on the "contact sync," but the moment I disable this, the voice command doesn't work anymore for making phone calls, even though all of the numbers are still stored on the car. So I guess I'm just stuck waiting about a minute before playing music through the phone or making a phone call via voice command (unless someone else out there doesn't have this issue...? then I need to report it to KIA).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding Bluetooth Contacts Sync Slowness

I had the same problem on my new Optima. In fact, I also had issue in which Bluetooth kept disconnecting.

When I tried re-pairing my phone to the car, I notice that my phone asked if I wanted to also sync my contacts' photos. The first time I paired it up, I'm sure I said "yes" thinking the photos would appear on the display. The second time around I said "no". Without permitting the photo sync, the synchronization of contacts was much faster and I also stopped getting the random disconnects.

Makes sense I suppose that if the photos are being transferred (for no reason mind you since they don't display anyway) that it would sync faster. Plus, perhaps I had a photo that was causing a transfer problem in the first place.

I say try re-pairing your phone and see if you have the option (on your phone) to deny access to photos. My phone is a Windows Phone but perhaps Android has this option as well.

- Jeff

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same problem on my new Optima. In fact, I also had issue in which Bluetooth kept disconnecting.

When I tried re-pairing my phone to the car, I notice that my phone asked if I wanted to also sync my contacts' photos. The first time I paired it up, I'm sure I said "yes" thinking the photos would appear on the display. The second time around I said "no". Without permitting the photo sync, the synchronization of contacts was much faster and I also stopped getting the random disconnects.

Makes sense I suppose that if the photos are being transferred (for no reason mind you since they don't display anyway) that it would sync faster. Plus, perhaps I had a photo that was causing a transfer problem in the first place.

I say try re-pairing your phone and see if you have the option (on your phone) to deny access to photos. My phone is a Windows Phone but perhaps Android has this option as well.

- Jeff

That's kinda weird, I never remember seeing anything about syncing photos as well. And yes, that would be pointless to do unless UVO comes out with an update that will show their photo when they call (which would be kinda cool...) maybe the windows phones have more connection features since UVO is a microsoft device.

I just find it really annoying that if I turn off contact sync, my bluetooth connects IMMEDIATELY when I get in the car which is great since I can play music or Pandora the second I get in the car... however, the tradeoff like I mentioned earlier is that voice commands no longer recognize names when I try to call people, even though they are shown as stored on the UVO system.

Has anyone else had luck where their bluetooth is connected immediately even while keeping contact sync on? Or, does your voice command work on your address book names even if you have contact sync on once you have them stored in there the first time?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine connects really fast. But it won't download my contacts at all. Which is crappy because you have to dictate the number to dial. Windows phone, windows UVO, you would have thought they would be compatible.
Haven't noticed any weirdness with delays when you play songs.
album artwork worked the only time I tried.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Problem with Kia Rio EX 2012 UVO Radio

I have a Kia Rio EX 2012. My UVO radio has been changed 2 times and all three radios had the same issues. When I listen to songs through the USB key, at some point, it seems like the radio loses the signal and it changes to another "mode". For example, I listen to the songs on my USB key, and then, suddenly the radio automatically skip to Radio AM/FM or to the Juke Box. After, I see a white spinning wheel searching for the media (see attached picture). It can happen over 3 times in a period of 30 minutes.

I most often use the USB key feature. But I also had the problem happening in the past with the Jukebox, the AM/FM radio, and also songs that I was playing on my iPhone.

My dealership told me that I was the only one who is having this issue, does anyone else have a similar issue?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
UVO locks up

My problem (only 1 week had the car) is that half the time I start up the car, the screen stays black, and except for the volume control, nothing works. Backup camera doesn't work, can't change channels, modes, or even turn the UVO off. Not sure why, but has anyone else had this problem? About to call service for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a ways down in time, but mine skips mode as well. Especially when I start up. If the radio was on Sirius, it goes to AM, if AM it goes to FM, if FM it goes to Sirius. No matter what it was before it is something different when it starts. This started after the most recent Kia Soul UVO update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ugh

3. UVO back to default - Let's say I selected that I wanted to play the artist "Mumford and Sons" and album "Babel" - it will show 1/15 songs for this playlist. Say I hit shuffle as well. All is good. Then, I stop at the gas station and turn off the car. When I return, it will still be playing whatever song it was that I left off on, but, now it shows something like 103/2093 (if I had 2093 songs on my Ipod or USB ), and shuffle is disabled. So, it has exited the album playlist I was on and will just play the next song in alphabetical order on my device. Lame! same for everyone else?

5. UVO startup - sometimes it plays instantly, and sometimes it takes damn near a minute to boot up (it just shows the startup screen). While booting up, the rear-view camera doesn't work either until it all finally kicks in. DOUBLE LAME.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with these problems. I have a 2013 Kia Rio, and these two items drive me crazy. Not only that, but sometimes my USB just plain leaves out folders. The only way I've been able to solve this is re-format the USB and copy everything back onto it. I've tried multiple USB sticks, all of which have never had issues with any other ports (computers or other cars).

·
Registered
1 Posts

- Jeff
I've had my Optima for three years now and I can't believe that I just came across this solution. I can't tell you how annoying it was to wait 3+ minutes for it to create the "media" connection, allowing me to stream music. After turning off the access to contacts and phone log, it connected in about 10 seconds or so. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts