Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody :
In the manual, it states the audio system will not recognize either a 512BYTE or a 2048BYTE Flash drive. (4-151). In the next listing, it says to make sure the Flash Drive is formatted using FAT12/16/32. This sounds a little confusing. Usually, even for PC use, I'll FORMAT the Flash Drive using FAT32. I tried looking up the terminology (512BYTE.....2048 BYTE), but didn't get too far.
Thanks.........
sta?nulg

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had the same issue and concerns. I purchased a short thumb drive, 16 gig, from one of the leading companies on Amazon. Scandisk.
That's all you need to get started.

What your going to do is called 'ripping' music.

I had to do this since the vehicle no longer has a cd player. They (Kia) forced an old dog to learn new tricks.......

Use the Windows Media Player on your PC. It's much easier than Steve Jobs Apple Tunes.

"Rip to MP3" format. Use the best or highest setting for the quality of audio, which will be 320 Kbps.

If you don't do this the music will sound like crap over your cars system and you will be unhappy.

I had to burn my cruising cd's twice because the first time I did not increase the Kbps to the maximum setting!
Good luck!

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
I have W10, just stick in the flash-drive and format it and then drag and drop the music you want. I don't find it's necessary to go to 320 kbps, I usually use 128 or 192 (but just do tests at different rates and see if you can tell the difference - the higher the rate the more space the tracks take up), it still sounds great on my vehicles standard audio system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
FAT32
I use 32 GB flash drive. I used 16 GB before that (avoid Adata thumb drives that newegg is peddling).
If I recall correctly, the system recognizes only two formats, mp3 and wma. I just get everything in mp3.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Staples

I purchased a dirt cheap $8 16GB Phillips drive from Staples and it works great. I have it formatted as FAT32 (though EXFat is supposed to be an option) and the music is in MP3 format.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
coderspy
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing