Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to having a 4wd vehicle and just had a couple of questions about the one on the Sorento.

First off I was able to try it a couple of days ago when we had quite a bit of rain. I engaged it as I know slippery roads allow the system to be used without harming the driveline.

The problem I encountered was when backing up into a parking space I noticed that the Sorento didn't really want to go into the space and all but stopped. I've figured that this is the 4wd system binding. Am I correct in this and am I doing any harm to the system?

I don't plan on using the system in this type of enviroment all of the time I have it more for the witers here where we get quite a bit of snow. Any help here would be appreciated. As well as any tips to driving the Sorento with 4wd and different road conditions.

Mine is a 2005 LX with the switchaable transfer case.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Yes it is the 4wd system binding up and it is not good when it does that. I use my 4wd in the snow, sand and mud only, not on wet roads.

·
Registered
07' Sedona, 10' Forte Sed. SX
161 Posts
Dear Dman,

You should have sprung for the "torque-on-demand" all wheel drive option. No binding here, and supposedly each wheel monitored 200 times per second. I had a great winter with it...... and 4-Low is always there just in case.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True but I would have had to go for the EX and I'm not all to crazey about the appearance package (2 tone) with them. That and I do want a system that I can say 4wd please and I have it. I just thought I would give it a try with the pavement slippery. But I guess I will have to wait and use the system off road and in the snow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question I have is it only binding because I'm turning at slow speeds and with a high angle of steering input.

Only asking because in the winter if the roads are really just wet with snow flying but on roads at road speed am I going to hurt the system.

Like I said I'm new to this whole 4wd system. I just want to make sure I get the good out of it and not to damage it in any way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Current implementation of "Torque on demand" system only connect front driveline while you are pressing the accelerator pedal. Be careful in snowed roads when you release it, at this moment your car is a 2x4 not a 4x4. Sudendly all retention torque will go to the rear driveline. Be careful.

Junav

1 - 7 of 7 Posts