Kia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone figure out what the "steering position" check box does in the user settings? The owners manual doesn't mention it. I've tried it checked and unchecked with no apparent changes. The flex-steer setting stays where you last left it whether the box is checked or not, so I know it's not that.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
I do not remember this setting but I will have a look for sure.

But, I read somewhere that if the wheels (and so the steering wheel) are too far from straight, you get an alert on the LCD screen. Is it a setting to switch on or off this alert ?

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
I have had that "alert" come up on the LCD screen so sounds like you are right.

And speaking of User settings Goose38, did you get any info from the dealer on timing for French language voice commands for the Nav system ?

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
And speaking of User settings Goose38, did you get any info from the dealer on timing for French language voice commands for the Nav system ?
I did not since I switched to the English settings for the LCD and the navigation system including voice recongintion (I have har time sometimes with my bad Englis accent). French voice recognition was very limited and translations of word are sometimes weired. So prefer to keep it in English and have full functionnality and good spelling.

Anyway, I will get the information for the French update if there is one. When I was shopping the car, Kia Canada told me by the end of the summer....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to Goose's mention of the alert, I did some testing and got it figured out.
1. If the "steering position" box IS checked:

a: If the wheels are turned hard to one side when you start the car, a brief message will appear after the "system check" screen that says "straighten steering wheel" (or something to that effect). It only appears for a couple seconds.
b: If the wheels are straight when you start the car, no warning will appear.

2. If the "steering position" box is NOT checked, no warning will appear, regardless of wheel position when starting car.

This item seems entirely unnecessary (much like the 100% vs 110% speedo number size).
Like someone mentioned in another post, I would much rather have a digital speed reading available (like my brother's Mercedes and Ram truck both have!).

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have wondered whether something like a digital speed readout could be done thru a firmware/software update. Would live to see that or if not, a much brighter speed needle.
Current state is can't really see with peripheral vision with eyes on the road and even looking at it, takes a few seconds, time not looking ahead on the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have wondered whether something like a digital speed readout could be done thru a firmware/software update. Would live to see that or if not, a much brighter speed needle.
Current state is can't really see with peripheral vision with eyes on the road and even looking at it, takes a few seconds, time not looking ahead on the road.
I would love a digital speed readout. the chevy equinox we traded had that and it was nice. Still like the sorento SX better though

·
Registered
369 Posts
Lucky you ! You must live in a very sunny part of the world not to be able to read it.

In my part of the world, no problem at all to read it for sure and no complain about it.

Moreover, I hate digital speed readout since numbers are changing all the time. It gives me headache ;)

·
Registered
2107 Kia Niro, 2018 Toyota Camry XSE, 2005 BMW K1200LT, 2015 Yamaha V Star 950 Touring
13 Posts
I would love a digital speed readout. the chevy equinox we traded had that and it was nice. Still like the sorento SX better though
It's not on the speedo but there is a digital speed readout if you get to the screen that shows the globe and GPS satellite info on the UVO/NAV system. Press the i (gear icon) button, info/UNO and GPS info.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't like digital readouts either. Rather would like to see a LCD option that shows a full length needle as in the analogue world. Driving down here in Florida this month in bright sunshine and sunglasses on, it is really tough to see the needle even with brightness full up. Have had my Garmin GPS on the windshield as it shows actual speed, speed limit and goes red if over speed limit. The Nav system shows speed limit but no info on your speed vs the limit and besides is well out of peripheral vision, whereas the Garmin located on left lower windshield is within peripheral vision

·
Registered
547 Posts
And in addition, the Garmin is a much better GPs system than the Nav in the car. As an example when highway driving, the Garmin zooms out so get a sense of where you are; whereas the Nav system stays zoomed in
When zoomed out the Nav system "loses" local roads much earlier than the Garmin.
This high end 5" Garmin can be set up portrait mode which is far more useful than the traditional landscape- who needs to see what is way out on either side; rather see what lies ahead.
Then with no E Services in Canada. the Garmin can talk to my Galaxy 4. So can program a destination in the S4 at night which will transfer to the Garmin next time am in the car.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento lx loaded
60 Posts
I think that the way we see the speedometer is an ethnic problem. European gened people have round eyes, they take in too much sunlight, therefore we have problems seeing the digital speedometer..Asians who designed this car, have narrow eyes and these take in less light, hense no problems in seeing the digital display.. Vitamins found in rice may help your eyesight..you need at least 3 cups a day..no sake does not count.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6 AWD
1,138 Posts
I think that the way we see the speedometer is an ethnic problem. European gened people have round eyes, they take in too much sunlight, therefore we have problems seeing the digital speedometer..Asians who designed this car, have narrow eyes and these take in less light, hense no problems in seeing the digital display.. Vitamins found in rice may help your eyesight..you need at least 3 cups a day..no sake does not count.
If you're serious, that's a pretty racist attitude and statement. If you're joking, it's not very PC and some will find it very offensive. :eek:

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (CAD)
38 Posts
Cool racism bro!.... reported.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts