Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2011 LX with 27k miles. 2.4L FWD, mostly basic options. Got a 5 year warranty. Im new to the kia line, not sure what to look for as far as TSB's or recalls, or anything helpful.

Im pretty up and up on cars and modifications, i like to keep things clean and was curious on some small mods and what would be the best approach.

1. HID lights/LED
2. Some kind of bumper/brush guard
3. Remote Start

Any help would be nice.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
1. Technically speaking, any HID "upgrade" to headlight projectors designed for halogen bulbs is illegal in all 50 states and in most of the developed world. People still do it, but a cranky inspector at your local car inspection station could fail the car's safety inspection.

2. I haven't seen any bumper/brush guards for these. Interesting idea if you want that "rugged" look in your FWD 4-banger. :)

3. I wouldn't imagine that remote start would be particularly hard or expensive to accomplish.

Best,

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX
33 Posts
1. Be careful when adding the HID kits with the KIA, a lot of people have had issues and broke things. There are a couple of posts about it. I used to have HIDs in my S4 but after reading about the issues people had with the KIAs I decided to just stay on stockers

3. Hardest one to put remote start on is the ones that have push button start, but it is doable now. Only difference you may find is that specific shops have to install the Remote start if you have push start

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my last car was an 2007 toyota corolla, and i was able to install HID with no problem. I just bought some LED lights for the brake, dome, signals and others, havnt installed yet. Some say ill need resistors to defeat the voltage drop and to trick the cars ecu that the blinker isnt out. I bought some just in case.

Was just curious what hid brands have been used. Also if it was practical to go to LED for headlights.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
1. if putting hid's make sure you have relay harness.. thats all and you are good, might have to add some capacitors on the harness... everything is ok.. my dealership knows about it too, h11 6000k at 35w the best choice..
led lighting, you can get them anywhere, ijdmtoy.com is a good source..
vanity mirror lamp is 31mm festoon
map light is t10
mid dome is 36mm festoon
cargo/3rd row is 36mm festoon
plate lights are 36mm festoon

sample of interior leds leds

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great info. Question, what kind of headlights and tails do you have? factory? Mine are just bulbs, yours look like LED.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
Thanks for the great info. Question, what kind of headlights and tails do you have? factory? Mine are just bulbs, yours look like LED.
yes i have the SX trim.. its led... dont bother getting led tail lights, because its a different wiring, needs led dimmer and and its controlled by the IPM, there was a thread here before about led tails but failed.. i think it needed a led decoder or a resistor... for it to work properly.. you can get leds though.. i would have gotten the spider led lights for tail lights if mine were not led, check it out...

the front are stock i just inserted led strips on it, i started a thread on it... you will see the evolution lol good luck with the lighting upgrade...
http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/73594-led-strips-hid-tinton-kia-sorento.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts