Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Soul+
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently deleted a number of folders containing songs from my thumb drive, but even though these songs are no longer on the thumb drive the radio still plays them. Does anyone have an idea why? Thanks.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
as we have no details on your vehicle or what sound system you have, hard to answer specifically (see my signature)

Does it play when you remove the flash-drive? It could only play if they are still there, how did you delete them?

·
Registered
2013 Soul+
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to have left out important information.

I have 2013 Kia Soul+.

It has the factory radio.

I deleted the files on the thumb drive using my computer, by dragging them to the "Trash". They no longer appear on the thumb drive when it is connected to the computer (iMac).

But they still show up on the radio screen and they play! How can this be?

They do not play when the thumb drive is removed... none of the files play, obviously.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
now if you can add the info to the left side and also your location, it will make it easy to answer any future questions without asking it again, vehicles are not equipped the same worldwide.

Doesn't make any sense to me, why it would do it, it must be still on the drive otherwise how can it play something that isn't there? Is it the UVO system?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
The answer is you put them in the "TRASH".
To speed up play of songs, your unit has cached the directory where that song "was" listed. Windows (DOS) does not erase programs by default when deleted. It takes the first letter of the "deleted song and changes it to an unprintable character (similar to a space) and tells the FAT (file allocation table) that the area it is still sitting in on the disk/drive/flash disk that it is up for grabs.
It still exists at the location it was before "deleting" it. It's like removing the house number off a phone directory ...it still exists and persons knowing where you live can still find the house. The radio knows where that stored "favorite" song lived and just bypasses the directory and ignores the FAT.
It then plays the song...
Similar to you putting something in the trash can... It still exists UNTIL you physically remove that item by moving it to the garbage truck or burning/smashing it. You can still retrieve that item up till the time the item has been physically destroyed...
There are programs that will allow you to retrieve files "deleted". They replace the first letter with ANY printable/viewable letter and tell the FAT that area is no longer "up for grabs" (could be written over).
Dave

·
Registered
2013 Soul+
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you to both responders to my post.

I have no idea how to add information in the area to the left of the post. I tried to do that yesterday as you suggested, but nothing on the site seems to tell me how to do that. The fields are not available in my "profile" page, which would seem to be the logical place. It's probably very simple to do and I just missed it, so if you can lead me to that water, I'll be glad to drink.

About the "trash" note. I am using a Mac, not a PC. But the "trash" deletion info is probably the same for both.

Anyway, how do I delete a file from the thumb drive and not leave the ghost file for the radio's USB to cache?

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
I'm not a "techie" like Dave, but will try to help you with your profile info
- go to the top of this page and select USER CP
- on the left under YOUR PROFILE, select EDIT YOUR DETAILS
- scroll down and you will see LOCATION (Where you live) and then a bit further down VEHICLE(s) THAT YOU OWN
- then click on SAVE CHANGES

regarding your flash drive, (not sure what size it is), but perhaps it might work (but don't know if this applies to MAC as I haven't used that system for years) but on my PC you can bypass the "going to the trash" by right clicking and pressing the shift key and select delete (you get a message saying "Are you sure you want to permanently delete this file?) and it deletes it completely. I haven't tested this in the case of a flash drive, as when I add tracks to my flash drive for my UVO system, I usually reformat the flash drive and then update all the tracks, so not sure if that will solve your problem.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
To get rid of these files put the drive in your Mac and when it is ready then empty the trash from the trashcan icon. Then safely remove the drive and it will no longer play the deleted tracks. You get the same problem on Macs and most Linux systems.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2013 Soul+
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, plugging in the thumb drive and emptying the trash did the trick. Awesome. No more pesky unwanted music. Thanks so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts