Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Ceed 1 1.6CRDi (new shape)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I plug in a USB key to play mp3's in my Ceed, I generally like to play all tracks in a random order.
So, once the USB starts playing i hold down the RDM button for a few seconds so it activates the 'all random' function (rather than just random within the particular album which is playing which is done by a quick press of the RDM button)..... anyway, when I do this the audio system ALWAYS starts playing the same 'random' tracks in the same 'so called' random order meaning it's not very random at all.

I expected that whenever I started it playing in 'all random' mode that it would start playing a different track each time.... but on every journey when I do it, it keeps starting and playing the same 'random tracks' in the same order.

Has anyone else noticed this or found a way to fix it so the 'all random' function for the USB truly is random??

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
I don't have USB but CDs perform the same way for me.
It's a crappy device and I'm closer and closer to replacing it completely.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd Sportswagon GT-line 1.6 CRDi (134bhp) Automatic 7spd-DCT
280 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2010 SW 3 facelift; random is not truly random. Starts with the same track every time.
That was not the case with my previous car; a 2007 SW LS. That worked properly.

·
Registered
09 Kia Pro_Cee'd 3 - 1.6 CRDi
208 Posts
Computers are notorious for random-ness, it is very hard to program a true random number generator on a computer as nothing in the computer is random! A small, simple computer such as that inside the Kia will not have a great random number generator.

There has been a lot of research into how to generate true random figures on a computer, one method I read was to have a microphone inside the computer and use the decibels and part of the random generator to generate random numbers, but even that method has flaws.

I wouldn't expect it to be that great and in all fairness, I've never used it.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed 1 1.6CRDi (new shape)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.... Glad it's not just me that is having this issue.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My 2010 facelift SW 3 was at the dealers last week to have the driver's door catch replaced. Whilst there, they said that there was a Kia update for the audio system and they would install it.

The USB random feature now works as it should, i.e. starts at a different track each time. Previously it would always go to the same track and then play tracks in the same random sequence as on previous occasions. I haven't tried it on CDs yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2010 facelift SW 3 was at the dealers last week to have the driver's door catch replaced. Whilst there, they said that there was a Kia update for the audio system and they would install it.

The USB random feature now works as it should, i.e. starts at a different track each time. Previously it would always go to the same track and then play tracks in the same random sequence as on previous occasions. I haven't tried it on CDs yet.
did they charge you for it?

might drop the car into the dealers on monday.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Computers are notorious for random-ness, it is very hard to program a true random number generator on a computer as nothing in the computer is random! A small, simple computer such as that inside the Kia will not have a great random number generator.
A random-like feature is easily generated from time of day. It is ultimately deterministic unlike a true random number but certainly more than adequate to change a sequence of audio tracks. This simple stuff doesn't need a rocket scientist.

The entire dashboard software - including the climate control - turns out to be a bit of a Friday afternoon job. It all works after a fashion but clearly no time was given to polish it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
did they charge you for it?

might drop the car into the dealers on monday.
No, I was not charged for the audio software update, or for the replacement door lock (freezing up last winter).

I've tried the random function on a CD; different track started on 4 occasions :)

·
Registered
Kia ceed sw 1.6 diesel
9 Posts
Hi,
is there a site from where to download and do it myself since I was at my dealers today and they just gave me a blank stare when I said they should try updating it... Don't think they even know how to do it!

·
Registered
Black KIA Pro_Ceed -10
51 Posts
I have a Pro_Ceéd -10 with the optional Navi/GPS soundsystem.
I use the USB and on my USB I have all the tracks in different folders and sub-folders but then only 1 MP3 song that is placed directly in the root - it always start playing that song.
However if I choose random it always picks songs completly randomly.

I think it do not have to do so much with the USB connection but with the player itself.

Cheers,

Magnus

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm from Italy and I have the same problem with my new cee'd.
Before this car I had a Seat Ibiza Xplod with Sony radio, and there was a true random. I never heard the same song sequence in 7 years.

With this radio the pattern is always the same, but i have found 2 tricks.
the first is: hold down the RDM button, and the "all random" activate, so deactivate it and reactivate again.... a new pattern will appear... as a second pattern...
and again if you are bored from the first and the second pattern you can deactivate it and activate a third holding down the RDM button again.... and so on....

the second: change the position or the file name of one song and a new pattern will be generated

hoping in a update for the random and the voice call for the phone
those 2 things are the only 2 that i don't like so much....
but it's always a good car :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts