Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi which has a USB port for playing music. Until last week, I was able to copy a number of music files to a pen drive, plug it into the port and listen!

However the car no longer detects when there is a pen drive plugged in. I have tried changing the source of the cars stereo - looping through FM, MW and Bluetooth but it never picks up the USB pen drive. I have also tried different USB pen drives and formatting them before bringing them into the car.

I'm concerned it is related to the car being in the garage a couple of weeks ago, to fix a water leak, as the wing of the car had to be taken off.

Is there anything else I can try to get the USB port working again?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
Ceed SW 1.6 LX Fresh
149 Posts
If you tried another USB media, here is what U should do:

Simply unplug the fuse which supplies the stereo and return it after 30 seconds.

If easier, unplug the battery.

If this does not help, stereo must be replaced/repaired.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
Usb?

Do any of the USB memory sticks you use have indicator lights? I have noticed that even with my stereo off the indicator light on my USB memory stick will glow dully (not fully lit like when being read). When I turn the stereo on and switch to USB it will flash as the stick is being read. If yours does not light up or flash at any time then there could be a disconnection between the port and the head unit or the head unit could be damaged/ defective/ need reset. If it flashes but does not show as being available or music will not play, it could be a formatting problem with the stick or a problem with the head unit. As suggested try resetting the head unit by removing the fuse for a minute or so and then try again and watch the light on the USB stick for any activity.
I would not think that removing the wing would have anything to do with the USB not working. However, who knows what all they did in tracking down your leak. Maybe they felt the need to get into the dash and the USB port was somehow disconnected. Try resetting the unit by pulling the fuse. Use a USB stick with an indicator light and reformat it as noted above and see what happens.

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all of your replies.

I have tried;

- reformatting the two USB pen drives using FAT32 format
- ensuring only MP3 or WMA files are on it
- safely ejecting the USB pen drives from my PC
- pressing AUX on the dash to try and pick up the USB pen drive
- checking for lights on the drives when plugged into the car (none showed!)
- turning stereo on/off

None of the above worked.

Now that I remember, the dash was removed when looking for a leak. Is it likely then that the USB connection was unplugged?

roadbug/roadrunner

both of you suggest unplugging the fuse for the stereo. Where is it located?

·
Registered
Ceed SW 1.6 LX Fresh
149 Posts
Well, if the dash is removed, then there is a pretty massive chance that USB has not been replugged into stereo device or usb plug from stereo device. If the dash was removed in service, you should visit them back to correct their mistake.

Fuses are located on the left side of the dash. when you open left doors, you will see small hatch od the side of the dash.
Just pull it strongly toward the doors and you will see the fuses.

On the inner side of the removed plastic hatch, there should be written which fuse supplies the stereo.

Probably easier thing is to just unplug the battery for a minute or two.

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For future readers... the problem was the USB input was unplugged. This happened when they removed the dash to investigate the water leak.

Thanks all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts