Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I could find the male USB connector that goes to the back of the factory head unit? Alternatively, I'm also looking for the wiring harness from the USB/Aux assembly.
Google searches have not turned up anything for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2016 LX V6
89 Posts
Sorry, I think your post requesting this in the other thread got lost in all of our confusion.

Is this what you're looking for (see attached)?

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I threw the other end of mine away when I chopped it off or I would have sent it to you. If I find it I will, but I think it's gone.

You could try contacting Infidini and see if they'll sell you just that part that comes with the head unit here. There is a contact form on that page.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the adapter in the picture shows the female end, I need the male end that plugs into that.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2016 LX V6
89 Posts
The other end in the back is male (the end that you can't see well). The front white end (that looks like a female usb) is what plugs into the head unit. At least I think so, I'm not sure. I have the base stereo that doesn't have that usb, so I may very well be wrong.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it a male USB A? or the special Kia USB connector, i need the special Kia USB male connector.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
is it a male USB A? or the special Kia USB connector, i need the special Kia USB male connector.
OEM Male USB connector is fixed to the OEM Head Unit's rear. Female is the cable coming from the multimedia port at the center console. Same that @prnorm pointed to in a previous post.

$_57.JPG

From the distance I believe it's a 4-Pin 2.54mm-pitch JST Male connector. @Richjohn19, @prnorm or @Fiction300 can you please measure the separation between pins of your infinidi USB retention cable?

Is it possible to tell us what you are doing? Perhaps we can help by suggesting an alternative.

For UVO models, the USB port at the head unit connects directly to the Multimedia port at the center console through a USB High Speed Cable 2.0

UVO USB cable.JPG

Cable Assy - USB: Part Number 96595C5000

Audio USB.jpg

Hope it helps

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2016 LX V6
89 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks that's actually really helpful.

What I'm trying to do is replace the radio on the left side of the picture with the one on the right side of the picture and add a back-up camera.
as far as I can tell the bottom line head unit does not have the USB connector only connectors A and B and the USB from the multimedia jacks in the console plugs in via connector B. Can't fully confirm that that as my car is still in the shop from when I got rear-ended but that's what most diagrams seem to show. It's interesting that the one you have shows a dedicated cable on both radio but that might be for the 2015 model.

According to the diagrams, I have seen all I need to do is move pins 6,7, 18 and 19 to the USB plug and then replace those with the camera connections and I'm off to the races.

Got the one up stereo for $30 so I figure it would we worth a shot, even if i have to spend a few more dollars on a connector and what not.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
Can you post a rear pic of the stereo you got?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the new one is exactly the same as you posted, I don't have one from my car as it's still in the shop, but if all information I find for it online is true is looks the same except for the additional USB connector.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
the new one is exactly the same as you posted, I don't have one from my car as it's still in the shop, but if all information I find for it online is true is looks the same except for the additional USB connector.
Then you dont need the male connector (head unit) but the female (Harness from media port). Measure the distance between USB pins of the unit you got...If it's 2.54 mm, get a female jst connector and off you go.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah I see I went and measured the pin and they seem to be 2mm apart not 2.54, I took a picture but I don't think you can see the details very well.
Also the pins in the male connector are shifted to the one side not evenly layed out like what I see for JST connector pictures online. I attached a picture of the male end on the stereo for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
Ah I see I went and measured the pin and they seem to be 2mm apart not 2.54, I took a picture but I don't think you can see the details very well.
Also the pins in the male connector are shifted to the one side not evenly layed out like what I see for JST connector pictures online. I attached a picture of the male end on the stereo for reference.
Perfect, there are 2mm pitch female JST connectors too. Don't worry about the pins been shifted, jst connector can be slightly shaved to fit in tight.

You have two options, 1) OEM harness or 2) JST connector.

Based on the OEM harness cost (USD 14) I'd go with option 1.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
any recommendations on where to source the connector?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
that looked like it was the breadboard jumper only, didn't notice it came with both male and female.

Also looks like the OEM connector can't ship to me so i guess that makes that decision

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
that looked like it was the breadboard jumper only, didn;t notice it came with both male and female.

Thanks
The previous one I posted was the male only. ..this one has both but you would only need the female portion.

If you are in the gta drop by the store and check if the connector fits your stereo. If it doesn't, order the OEM one.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in Calgary so I'll see if there is a similar store in town.

For some reason, KIA parts and accessories won't ship the OEM piece here, found another site but they want $44 US for shipping so I might see if the dealership can get it for a bit cheaper then that.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
I'm in Calgary so I'll see if there is a similar store in town.

For some reason, KIA parts and accessories won't ship the OEM piece here, found another site but they want $44 US for shipping so I might see if the dealership can get it for a bit cheaper then that.
Find the specs online. It should give you enough details to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sedona LX
13 Posts
Anyone know where I could find the male USB connector that goes to the back of the factory head unit? Alternatively, I'm also looking for the wiring harness from the USB/Aux assembly.
Google searches have not turned up anything for me.

Thanks
I found this adapter for the blue connector your talking about. I had to cut in half and re wire it and it works great. Apple car play works and I retained factory usb on my sedona. Re wire using this: red to black and green to white. Because pin 1 is ground and pin 4 is 5v+. Pin 2 is Data + and pin 3 is Data - it’s not wired like your basic usb 2.0 cable it has to cut and re wired.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts