Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
0858 Kia Pro_Cee'd 3 1.6 CRDi, Red
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody ran into the back of my 2008 Pro Ceed last night, and bent the rear bumper and hatch, the boot closes (just), but the boot open light is on permanently and I can't lock the doors, either with the fob or the key - is there any pro-ceedure (I'm trying to maintain my sense of humor!) for locking the doors manually as the other drivers insurance company are being utterly unhelpful and wont deal with me until Monday, leaving me with a car that won't lock!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Look for the light switch "button/plunger" and remove it. The door locking relies on "knowing" the doors are closed and uses the light circuit to verify they are closed.
Dave

·
Registered
273 Posts
the other drivers insurance company are being utterly unhelpful and wont deal with me until Monday, leaving me with a car that won't lock!
Contact your own insurance company ASAP, that is who you are insured with. They will get the car collected and locked away safely hopefully leaving you a loan car (if you are entitled). If you leave it unlocked and its gets stolen you may find yourself with problems.

You have no contract with the 3rd partys insurance company and you will probably find they will not deal directly with you.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Contact your own insurance company ASAP, that is who you are insured with. They will get the car collected and locked away safely hopefully leaving you a loan car (if you are entitled). If you leave it unlocked and its gets stolen you may find yourself with problems.

You have no contract with the 3rd partys insurance company and you will probably find they will not deal directly with you.

Yes, the other parties insurance company will only deal with their client and your insurance company. It's most important that you contact your company a.s.a.p. Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, don't even get me started, the 3rd party started off my day (after being reasonable last night) by refusing to give me any more details of her insurance, eventually I got my company to get the information off her, then managed to secure a hire car for Monday, only to find out that Tesco, my insurer were referring it to their underwriters because I'd not declared the fact I'd had my rear windows tinted, so I'm totally left in the lurch and can't do anything except put my TV on all night to deter people from the car which is parked next to my living room window!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Driver's door: can be locked with the key
other doors: have a special emergency locking mechanism (described in the manual)
boot: emergency unlocking mechanism on the inside (described in the manual) - maybe it can be used for locking?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried it with the key - doesn't work, the emergency locking function appears to be on the rear doors of the 5 door model

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
How does having tinted rear windows affect the fact the someone ran into the back of you?

Insurers will try anything to get out of a claim! And if its not your fault its irrelevant to your insurers anyway! Just tell em to jog on!

Of course technically it is non disclosure of a modification but in the real world how can that have had an effect on your claim? Its just insurers doing what they do best and thats being awkward!

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems with your insurance company. It again proves to me that cheap premium companies often mean difficult payouts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know, it makes me sick to my stomach, none of this is my fault yet I'm being made to feel like a lawbreaker - I know the law about window tints and how you can't do the fronts etc, I didn't think for a second to inform Tescos, it's not like I've had the car lowered or increased the performance of the car, if anything it's made it more secure - you can't see items left on the back seat any more unless you really press your nose up on the window. I've not joined the ranks of the great unwashed and cried whiplash when there's nothing wrong with me, it's a straight honest mistake that I didn't tell Tesco about my windows - if their policy is to increase my monthly payments, then fine I'll cough up, but if they cancel my cover as a result of this I'll be livid - does that mean I can have the money back I've already paid the robbing gits? Bet not, plus it's me who isn't even at fault in the accident! I absolutely despair at the UK...

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
I know, it makes me sick to my stomach, none of this is my fault yet I'm being made to feel like a lawbreaker - I know the law about window tints and how you can't do the fronts etc, I didn't think for a second to inform Tescos, it's not like I've had the car lowered or increased the performance of the car, if anything it's made it more secure - you can't see items left on the back seat any more unless you really press your nose up on the window. I've not joined the ranks of the great unwashed and cried whiplash when there's nothing wrong with me, it's a straight honest mistake that I didn't tell Tesco about my windows - if their policy is to increase my monthly payments, then fine I'll cough up, but if they cancel my cover as a result of this I'll be livid - does that mean I can have the money back I've already paid the robbing gits? Bet not, plus it's me who isn't even at fault in the accident! I absolutely despair at the UK...
I fully agree and sympathise with your comments. However, don't despair of the UK in many countries of the world people don't even have to have motor insurance at all!

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Just had another thought, this site might be worth looking at....

motor insurance

Sometimes just telling the insurance company that you are going to refer to the Ombudsman scares them enough to change their mind.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh trust me if they try and mug me off tomorrow I'll be doing everything I can to sort it out. I wouldn't mind but I'm the poor sap thats been hit, not them!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Oh trust me if they try and mug me off tomorrow I'll be doing everything I can to sort it out. I wouldn't mind but I'm the poor sap thats been hit, not them!
Every car insurance policy says you must inform them if you modify your car or change your driver status. If you want their money you must play by their rules.

Sorry but it is a well known fact of life.

When Mrs deeps had a minor walking pace bump the insurance assessor checked the whole car, even the tread depth and type of tyres fitted.

Good luck, I hope they pay up.

At least in this type of situation they will pay any third party claims if you are at fault so your house or other assets are not on the line.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Every car insurance policy says you must inform them if you modify your car or change your driver status. If you want their money you must play by their rules.

Sorry but it is a well known fact of life.

When Mrs deeps had a minor walking pace bump the insurance assessor checked the whole car, even the tread depth and type of tyres fitted.

Good luck, I hope they pay up.

At least in this type of situation they will pay any third party claims if you are at fault so your house or other assets are not on the line.
I know your right, but how do they define the word "modify"? Does that include say, fitting alloy wheels or putting a sticker on the rear window for example? I fear the insurance companies define it on the basis of how they wish to interpret it at the time!
I think we should all be in the mind set that insurance companies are in business to make a profit (like the banks!) and are not a branch of the Social Security. A hard but true lesson in life, regrettably it's not written that “Life shall be fair”

·
Registered
65 Posts
We have sunblinds on the rear windows which do the same job as tints, should I be telling the insurance company about those?

We have a dog guard as well, that's surely a mod since I made it and fitted it. We also have non Kia mats, surely a mod again. O my god, I am not insured.

Serously, I cannot honestly see how having tints fitted has "modified" the car in a risk sense. Fitting new wheels and tyres which would cost more for the insurance company to replace are one thing but tints.

When I fitted "winter" tyres I informed the insurance company and no extra cost. They asked if they were to be fitted to alloys or steels, told them alloys and I asked why. They said it would have cost me extra for steels since they did not have locking nuts. I asked would that change if the owner fitted locking nuts and the answer was no, explain that, they couldn't.

How did they find out, I guess you must have told them since the accident only happened Saturday and they cannot have looked at the car yet.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
943 Posts
We have a dog guard as well, that's surely a mod since I made it and fitted it. O my god, I am not insured.
Probably true up to a point, If you hit someone, or thing, and it does happen, and your home made dog guard smacks you on the back of the head propelled by a dog, and you suffer brain damage requiring 24/7 care, don't expect your insurance to pay for it. I would expect the first question would be "Is it CE approved for use in the car."

At least they would pay for whatever you hit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh I've heard it all whilst being passed from pillar to post today - 'it makes your car worth more' 'it makes your car more attractive to theives' - er hello! It's me who's been rear ended here you jobsworth scumbags! Finally I've been told to 'ring at the end of the week it's in the hands of the underwriters and we can't help you'

And we wonder why people drive with no insurance

1 - 20 of 34 Posts