Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2016 Sorento has been absolutely fine forever. Yesterday drove 60kms no problem. Today, went to start the car, and the engine didn't even turn over--instead, the headlights flashed and I heard a "click--click--click" like a BBQ igniter trying to light a BBQ (not as rapid clicking, but same concept--like the sound of a relay opening and closing). I can open and close the trunk with the smart key fob, but when I click the seat position buttons, it beeps once and says "seat settings applied" but the seat doesn't move.

Is this just a dead battery (although I can't fathom how)? Or is it some weird Kia electronic thing possibly? The immobilizer light stays steady on for about 20 seconds when I push the start/stop button without my foot on the brake.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,865 Posts
Yes, sounds like a battery that's nearing end of life, but a jump start followed by a battery load test will confirm.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I'm hoping it's just a battery. Are batteries only good for about 4 years? I thought they lasted closer to ten years. If it is a dead battery after 4 years, is it something Kia would pay for under warranty?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,865 Posts
No, 10 years on a standard lead acid battery would be twice the typical lifespan.

4 years is about average, but individuals usage impacts on this.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, fair enough...guess it's likely the battery then. thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento AWD V6 EX-Sangria with stone beige leather
35 Posts
The last 3 batteries I had to replace died suddenly with no warning. They were all between 3 1/2 and 4 years old.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
602 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
84 Posts
Before you replace the battery, clean and tighten your battery cable clamps. It may be something as simple as a bad or loose connection. My work truck does this every month or so, and it's always a loose battery cable.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
4 years isn't at all atypical for one of these batteries. 10 is RARE. I had a 'rare' on my wife's 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan last year. Couldn't believe the deader was the original factory battery, but there it was. My Sorento, OTOH, went 2 months past warranty and fizzled, same as my Santa Fe had done previously. Can't say I've been overly impressed with Hyundai/Kia batteries thus far. The difference is that these Sorento batteries are more expensive and not always available everywhere same-day.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX (..and also drove a 2004.5 Spectra for 13+ years / 127k great miles)
49 Posts
4 years isn't at all atypical for one of these batteries. 10 is RARE. I had a 'rare' on my wife's 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan last year. Couldn't believe the deader was the original factory battery, but there it was. My Sorento, OTOH, went 2 months past warranty and fizzled, same as my Santa Fe had done previously. Can't say I've been overly impressed with Hyundai/Kia batteries thus far. The difference is that these Sorento batteries are more expensive and not always available everywhere same-day.
My '16 Sorento (based in 4-season Michigan) will actually be 5 years old this coming November. It's starting like a champ right now - BUT, I plan on getting it swapped out before winter rears its head here again in about a month (joking). But seriously, since this is my wifes vehicle, I'm not going to wait for the lil sucker to let her down. And I agree that 4-5 years on just about any battery (OEM or esp. aftermarket) isn't being cheated IMHO.

-SM2016

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,450 Posts
OP, replace it with the highest possible CCA you can. On the older KIA's it helped a lot.
YMMV

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
145 Posts
I would recommend replacing with an AGM battery. They are much more resistant to extreme temperatures and sulfation. Which usually causes the death of most lead acid batteries.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
289 Posts
Agree that battery s/b replaced, I would not waste time testing a 4-5 year old battery. There are lots of electronics required to start up these things. Cranking the starter motor usually drops the voltage 2-3 volts, so a marginal battery could cause the weakest electronic component in the chain to drop off.
Also look at your door tag, I know our US manufactured cars have a build date on the plate., not sure about Canadian builds. My 2015 SX actually was built in May of 2014. I'm still running great on a 6 year old battery, but am very seriously thinking about replacing it. From what I've read in the forums many of these Sorentos go from working to no-start w/o any warnings.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
I would recommend replacing with an AGM battery. They are much more resistant to extreme temperatures and sulfation. Which usually causes the death of most lead acid batteries.
It would be more than a recommendation, Majic24, it would be a necessity.

The vehicle comes with an AGM from the factory, and the charging algorithm used for AGM is not the same as for a standard flooded lead acid. With lower internal resistance, the AGM can be safely charged more quickly. Also, the charge voltage per cell is slightly lower for AGM than for a flooded lead acid, so replacing with a flooded lead acid will assure that it's always a bit undercharged.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
145 Posts
It would be more than a recommendation, Majic24, it would be a necessity.

The vehicle comes with an AGM from the factory, and the charging algorithm used for AGM is not the same as for a standard flooded lead acid. With lower internal resistance, the AGM can be safely charged more quickly. Also, the charge voltage per cell is slightly lower for AGM than for a flooded lead acid, so replacing with a flooded lead acid will assure that it's always a bit undercharged.
ecanderson, thanks for all helpful information you provide on the forum. Your posts have benefited many including myself.

Mine had lead acid original from factory. It went from working one day to the next morning completely dead. I opened a couple of the sealed plugs and it was definitely a lead acid battery. Just barely got three years out of it, and I use the Battery Tender to keep it conditioned. Miami heat not easy on batteries.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
Whoa! You have a U.S. spec 2016 SXL from the factory that didn't have a 94R (aka H7) battery? Something really peculiar about that. The 94R was standard equipment for all trim levels of the 2016 Sorento.

To be fair, they're both 'lead acid'. The difference is 'flooded' vs. 'AGM'.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
145 Posts
Whoa! You have a U.S. spec 2016 SXL from the factory that didn't have a 94R (aka H7) battery? Something really peculiar about that. The 94R was standard equipment for all trim levels of the 2016 Sorento.

To be fair, they're both 'lead acid'. The difference is 'flooded' vs. 'AGM'.
Yeah, I saw the lead plates when I popped a couple of the filler caps, I wanted to see if it had much sulfation. Could also explain why I only got three years of life out of that battery. Dealer might have replaced it if the car sat for a little while before it was sold to me. It did have Kia labels on it.

Question for you. Is it characteristic of AGM vs flooded batteries to just die without showing signs of weakening during start up etc. I noticed a significant difference when I installed my new AGM platinum that I got from advance auto. I just tap the start button it cranks so quickly, also the specs are higher than what came with the original battery.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
Honestly, it sounds like you got hosed somewhere along the way. I have never heard of a 2016 built in the U.S. without an AGM. In fact, as I think of it, built in Korea, either. Check out any battery cross reference for a 2016 Sorento and you'll see what I mean. NONE specify the flooded version (including Advance Auto, who may well have balked at selling you anything else if you had asked!).

The good news is that the charging system on your Sorento SHOULD also be expecting an AGM, so the charge voltage per cell won't be too high, as is the case when installing an AGM into a 'flooded' lead acid system.

Just as a further data point, take note of external battery chargers. The better ones have a switch that tailors the charge for either AGM or flooded style, and the instructions are quite explicit with regard to making the correct selection for the battery being charged. Some of the cheaper chargers advise the user NOT to use on an AGM battery since they are designed only to provide the right charge to the older flooded type batteries. There's good reason for both the better quality 'switchable' type and the warning on the cheaper ones.

Vehicle charging systems likewise are tailored to one or the other. Mixing batteries vs. charging systems is destined to abuse the battery one way or the other, 'overcharging' in one instance, and 'undercharging' in the other (though I'm using both overcharging and undercharging loosely. In both cases, it's a voltage issue, but in one, it's also a potential current issue).

And no, apart from an unusual and catastrophic failure, the AGM typically dies over a period of time like other batteries, but as these vehicles tend to start so easily after the first revolution, you might not notice until it was truly almost toast. I was unaware that mine was heading downhill until I noted that during starting, the radar detector (hooked to unswitched power at the rear view mirror, but with an auto-timeout to avoid constant discharge) would power up due to the voltage drop and rise during starting. The radar detector was seeing it as though it was being 'reconnected' to power when this happened, so it powered itself up. It was interesting that the ECU was less sensitive to voltage drops than the detector, but it was my 'canary' in this last instance.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
145 Posts
Just as a further data point, take note of external battery chargers. The better ones have a switch that tailors the charge for either AGM or flooded style, and the instructions are quite explicit with regard to making the correct selection for the battery being charged. Some of the cheaper chargers advise the user NOT to use on an AGM battery since they are designed only to provide the right charge to the older flooded type batteries. There's good reason for both the better quality 'switchable' type and the warning on the cheaper ones.

I use the battery tender plus which is compatible to charge AGM batteries. I give the battery a full charge cycle at least 3 times a year.[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 64 Posts