Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage EX- Decked out!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2012 Sportage EX and will be upgrading the headlights to HID (not sure why kia isn't on this.... It's not 1994 anymore) and I have a few questions.

1. I want to keep it looking as OEM as possible without getting too aftermarket. What Kelvin should I go with? What Kelvin is in the 2012 Optima SX? I'm thinking that would probably be ideal

2. Do I upgrade the fogs and high beams as well?

3. I am paying a company to install due to their warranty. Anything I should know or keep in mind when I make the appointment?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I own a 2012 Sportage EX and will be upgrading the headlights to HID (not sure why kia isn't on this.... It's not 1994 anymore) and I have a few questions.

1. I want to keep it looking as OEM as possible without getting too aftermarket. What Kelvin should I go with? What Kelvin is in the 2012 Optima SX? I'm thinking that would probably be ideal

3. I am paying a company to install due to their warranty. Anything I should know or keep in mind when I make the appointment?
1.4500k will be closest to white.
5200 is the slightest tinge of blue at certain angles, reminds me of an audi/bmw HIDs. anything higher gets blue/purple. I installed 5200k and love them. anything lower than 4500k gets yellow.

2. fogs run on diff voltages, so you cant directly replace them like the low beams. requires more work, and doesn't really make any improvements, because fogs throw light closer to the car. I find that most don't do high beams. I didn't do mine, as my high beams work great stock.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
1. I want to keep it looking as OEM as possible without getting too aftermarket. What Kelvin should I go with?

4.5k - 5k

Fogs you can High beams I wont due to slow warm up of HIDs before full brightness.

Might or might not need warning cancelers if the DRLs start to flicker. Relay harness will be a safer route incase your worried about the stock harness frying. And carefully note on the ballast wattage and stock wiring (35watts is safer on stock wiring).

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,880 Posts
Fogs run on different voltages???? LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
1.4500k will be closest to white.
5200 is the slightest tinge of blue at certain angles, reminds me of an audi/bmw HIDs. anything higher gets blue/purple. I installed 5200k and love them. anything lower than 4500k gets yellow.

2. fogs run on diff voltages, so you cant directly replace them like the low beams. requires more work, and doesn't really make any improvements, because fogs throw light closer to the car. I find that most don't do high beams. I didn't do mine, as my high beams work great stock.
correction. the bulbs are lower wattage, not voltage.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
4300K - white. Projectors add blue hue itself.

Do only low beams. Others - are not really usefull.

Fogs - do NOT do them into HID. You will regret it as too much light in the front will cause too much glare FOR YOU, what will result in subjective decrease of long distance visibility. Does it make sense?
I mean - make it very bright in front, and you will not see too much farther...

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2011
9 Posts
Regards, I'm also looking to do this upgrade.
Since the Sportage already has Projector headlights all you going to be doing is buying the ballasts and bulbs.
I'm going with this kit s=because of the warranty
H1: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

Also I'm only doing Low beams and not High beams as this will be sufficient light output. I wanted to do the high beams to maintain a nice look but I do alot of flashing with my high beams and if they were HID's that would significantly lower their lifespan.
I'm going with the 5k look.

Fog lights aren't a lower wattage, they are a different lightwave, I hope I use the correct term. Fogs are used mainly for fog and not really daily driving so that's why they seem duller.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
Sportage 2012 SK-EX 2.0 AWD Tech-Orange
55 Posts
junrider

Fogs you can High beams I wont due to slow warm up of HIDs before full brightness.

U know that special digital speedbalast that makes the volt faster... So i whould say to this guy, hid up your high beam dude!. Just google it, easy to find. Should be quick search on ebay

·
Registered
Sportage 2012 SK-EX 2.0 AWD Tech-Orange
55 Posts
Just a quick question whats the setup on european sportage on fog, low and high beam socket?

·
Registered
Kia Sportage EX- Decked out!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I replaced my low beams with 5k HID's and they look great. The installers dropped in 6k, and I made them take them out as they were too blue- not what I'm looking for. They were trying to get me to upgrade my fogs to HID as well, but I wasn't interested in dropping that cash for the fogs. Instead I ordered some higher lumen LED's to simply replace the bulbs in the fogs and they look fantastic! I've gotten a lot of compliments. Who would have thought?!?:D

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
My new to me 2011 Sportage EX has HID low beam light's installed by the previous owner. I bought the car from a dealer, & was unaware of this till the 1st night I turned on the headlights, then it was OMG Blue headlights :eek:

At first I thought, okay this is interesting, fascinating, but now after awhile I find they are too blue :(

I'm guessing they're 6000k, they are more blue then the DRL's, and the high beams look yellow now :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if I can just replace the HID bulbs themselves? I was thinking of going with 4100k, or 5000k bulbs, (mostly white) but also don't know if the HID kit that was installed is 35watts, or 55 watts?

I'm trying to get a hold on this, before I go taking everything apart, & investigating.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
If you can find an H11 bulb in the colour temperature that you want, it's just a matter of swapping out the bulbs, you can leave the ballasts alone.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
If you can find an H11 bulb in the colour temperature that you want, it's just a matter of swapping out the bulbs, you can leave the ballasts alone.
Thanks bluntman,
I guess all I need to know now is if my kit is 35watts, or 55watts? I'll have to check it out further when I get the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts