Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 4Cyl
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody has done this before..
Looking to pick up a powered sub for the back and then some new mid-range budget speakers in the front, and maybe replace the rear.

I'd rather keep my stock amp in the car, not to replace that yet, but definitely want to keep my stereo deck, it's a pretty decent Sony Xplode.

Any suggestions/ideas?

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Just curious if anybody has done this before..
Looking to pick up a powered sub for the back and then some new mid-range budget speakers in the front, and maybe replace the rear.

I'd rather keep my stock amp in the car, not to replace that yet, but definitely want to keep my stereo deck, it's a pretty decent Sony Xplode.

Any suggestions/ideas?
I kept my stock speakers as they still sounded good for highs and mids. I replaced just the stock stereo and added a self contained powered sub in the back.

I also added an extension cord style plug to the sub's wiring near the sub itself. All I have to do to remove the sub is just unplug it. Comes in handy when I need the back for cargo space, no tools needed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PERFECt.
Just the guy I need!
What sub did you end up getting?

I'm looking at the Pyle PLTAB10, for ~$80 or so, it's a cheap-ish sub.. but should do the job.

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
PERFECt.
Just the guy I need!

I'm looking at the Pyle PLTAB10, for ~$80 or so, it's a cheap-ish sub.. but should do the job.
Look for something other than Pyle. The way over rate how much power they put out. Pyle is a good name as their stuff is a Pyle of junk.

·
Registered
184 Posts
PERFECt.
Just the guy I need!

I bought a DUAL SBP8A for $90. It's an 8" 160watt dual voice coil amp that does very well IMHO. Found a handfull of reviews on the net before buying and all liked it.

Dual SBP8A

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard Pyle is a decent starter brand, though most of their stuff is bad- that specific sub is rather okay?

What would you suggest beside that one?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've heard Pyle is a decent starter brand, though most of their stuff is bad- that specific sub is rather okay?

Since the sub will be in the passenger cabin and not a trunk, you won't need a 500W amp. I only run my sub's 160W amp at 1/2 volume and it's pretty loud with the sterio equlizer on a Rock preset and the sterio's sub volume set at 0 (-8 to +8 scale).

Having had the DUAL sub for a few months now, I highly recomend it. The Sportage has great acustics for a sub.

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts

It's their amps that are bad and since it is powered sub it will have their amp.

Have you looked on Ebay? That is where I bought everything at for my Sportage. The amps I bought were factory rebuilt Keenwood's. They were a fraction the cost of new and come with a warranty.

I believe Keenwood makes a powered sub.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, that DUAL seems awesome, gets excellent reviews all over the board on Amazon..

But, how was the install?
Never touched car audio before, and could appreciate any help I could get!

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
You will have to run RCA cables from your HU to the amp along with the remote turn on wire. You will also need to run a power wire from the battery to the amp and ground wire to somewhere (not the battery). Depending on how your HU is mounted you might have to tear the dash half apart to remove the HU. KIA changed the dash design in 2000 or 2001.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see, that doesn't sound *too* difficult, where did you route & hide all the wiring?

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
I ran the power & amp turn on wire down the left side under the sill plate & the RCA cable under the center console. You don't want to run the power wire next to the RCA cable as it can cause electrical interference.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just curious, how much did you spend overall after all said and done?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I spent $90 for the DUAL sub, $15 for a sub install kit (comes with the RCA cables, power and sense [remote turn on]) wires, and $7 for one set of male & female extension cord ends (got them from Home Depot)

Here's how I ran my wires which didn't invole having to dissasemble anything to run the wires:

Starting from the engine compartment, I started with the sub + and - power wires from the battery for the + side and from the main ground under the battery tray for the -. Do not connect them to battery and ground yet but leave enough slack to connect them once everything else us hooked up.

Run the + and - sub power wires allong the top rear of the engine compartment to the drivers side (almost all the way to the fender) and zip tie them about every 8" to any existing wires running in that area. Make sure your wires stay as far up and off the engine as possible.

On the driver's side of the engine compartment between the steering shaft and the fender you see a rubber gromet on the firewall. Carefully cut an X shape in the gromet and run your + and - wire thru the gromet into the passenger cabin.

From in the cabin, the wires will come thru to the left of the steering colum where it meets the firewall. Route the wires toward the front of the dash and then toward the center console. Zip tie the wires to existing wire bunles and braces to keep everything inplace and out the way.

Next I connected the sub's sense (remote trun on) wire to the stereo head unit's switched power wire (on a 2000 sportage it's the red one). Route the sense wire down thru the center console to meet up with the sub's + and - wires on the driver's side of the transmission console.

Connect your RCA cables to your sterio head unit and route them down thru the center console to the passenger side of the transmission console.

Stuff the +, -, and sense wires under the driver's side of the transmission console all the way to the end of the console. Do the same on the passenger side with the RCA cables.

From the rear of the transmission console, run the RCA and +, -, & sense wires under the rear seats to the caro area. I used an extra floor mat to cover up the wires runing from the transmission console to under the rear seats.

In the cargo area - take your +, -, and sense wires, measere a good 6" or so out from the back of the rear seat and cut the wires. Take the female extension cord plug (the one without prongs) and connect one wire to each terminal on the plug. Connect the cut off +, -, and sense wires to the male extension cord plug.

WARNING: BE EXTRA CAREFULL WHEN WIRING IN THE EXTENSION CORD PLUG THAT THE + MATCHES UP TO THE + , THE - TO THE - AND THE SENSE TO THE SENCE ON EACH SIDE OF THE PLUGS WHEN THEY ARE PLUGGED IN TO EACHOTHER.

Connect the other end of the male plugged +, -, and sense wires to the sub. Connect the RCA cables to the sub.

Now that everything is ran and wired up, go back to the engine compartment and connect the + wire to the + terminal of the battery and the - wire to the main ground under the battery tray.

Then enjoy your new sub!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Owning a 2x4 Sportage, I don't think I have the "Transmission Console"
I may just pop up the sill plates or a few other interior trim panels.. I've already done them for the custom door LEDs I put in & they're just a few screws and they're out.

My current dilemma is the Pyle (being a 10" & being a sealed) versus the DUAL (8" & bandpass)...
I think the hardest part may be connecting the wiring to the stereo head unit..

I will probably use some of my Anderson PowerPoles for the extension end for the cargo area, keeps it clean and simple.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Owning a 2x4 Sportage, I don't think I have the "Transmission Console"
I may just pop up the sill plates or a few other interior trim panels.. I've already done them for the custom door LEDs I put in & they're just a few screws and they're out.

My current dilemma is the Pyle (being a 10" & being a sealed) versus the DUAL (8" & bandpass)...
I think the hardest part may be connecting the wiring to the stereo head unit..

I will probably use some of my Anderson PowerPoles for the extension end for the cargo area, keeps it clean and simple.
Sounds like a good wiring plan. In regards to which sub, the best way to tell which one you'll like would be to go to a car stereo store that have demo units setup and give them a listen. They most likely won't have Pyle or DUAL subs there, but you'll be able to listen to sealed vs bandpass subs so you can find out which style you like better and let that be the tie breaker for which one you get.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What guage should I be looking at for the dedicated power to the amp?

Looking at 8GA for +12V/-12V, remote turn on wire (is this a special wire? Could I just use regular speaker wire?), and some RCA cables (same with this, regular RCA or special?)

I know at work, we have a huge roll of speaker wire we used for about 15ft for a project.. and we have never needed it since.. I could probably grab about 10ft of it to use on the remote turn on wiring?

Any suggestions on the sources of wiring?
I feel that I'm most scared/worried for the head unit installation..
Ripping apart my entire dash sounds annoying.

EDIT: any suggestions for a ported sub?
Debating between the Pyle (Sealed) and DUAL (Bandpass).. so now I'm at a lost of words.
Ported seems to be the king of boomy bass, so maybe that might be what I'm after?

Also, how was the removal of the dash?
That seems to be the most difficult part, including the stereo head unit.
Not sure how to do it, since it looks like a dual-bay stereo headunit (factory), and it was replaced with a single bay (Sony Xplod) head unit, in the middle of the two..

·
Registered
184 Posts
What guage should I be looking at for the dedicated power to the amp?

Looking at 8GA for +12V/-12V, remote turn on wire (is this a special wire? Could I just use regular speaker wire?), and some RCA cables (same with this, regular RCA or special?)

I know at work, we have a huge roll of speaker wire we used for about 15ft for a project.. and we have never needed it since.. I could probably grab about 10ft of it to use on the remote turn on wiring?

Any suggestions on the sources of wiring?
I feel that I'm most scared/worried for the head unit installation..
Ripping apart my entire dash sounds annoying.

EDIT: any suggestions for a ported sub?
Debating between the Pyle (Sealed) and DUAL (Bandpass).. so now I'm at a lost of words.
Ported seems to be the king of boomy bass, so maybe that might be what I'm after?

Also, how was the removal of the dash?
That seems to be the most difficult part, including the stereo head unit.
Not sure how to do it, since it looks like a dual-bay stereo headunit (factory), and it was replaced with a single bay (Sony Xplod) head unit, in the middle of the two..
My sub install kit came with 10ga for power and 18ga or 16ga for the sense wire (can't remember). The RCA cables are regular, just longer so they can reach from the head unit to the sub. A sub install kit should only be about $15 - $20 and comes with everything you'll need - power wires, sense wire, RCA cables, and speaker wires (for if your head unit or sub dosen't have RCA jacks).

Install on a 2000 was easy. Just pull off the center console trim and remove the 4 screws holding in the stereo. Although I believe they changed the dash design for 2001 & 2002 so it may not be as easy.

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
Install on a 2000 was easy. Just pull off the center console trim and remove the 4 screws holding in the stereo. Although I believe they changed the dash design for 2001 & 2002 so it may not be as easy.
Yes they changed the dash on 2001 & 2002 and it's a little involved to remove everything to pull the HU.

Now since Rawfuls has an aftermarket HU it should have came with a tool to pull the HU out of the sleeve. This way tearing the dash 1/2 appart shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The aftermarket HU was preinstalled when I purchased the car, no items were given to me.. Heck, previous owner didn't even have the keyless entry remotes.

Looked at it this morning, looks like the trim piece covering the head unit pieces is connected to the front dash, which surrounds the A/C & Controls (Which is really a piece of cake to take off..) and also the environment for the speedometer & whatnot.

I'll give a butter knife a try and see how that goes..

But when I do get it out, will I need to splice into anything, or will everything already have connections?
For the RCA..remote turn on?
I believe I have RCA on the back, but the remote turn on?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts