Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, every members, it's my first thread! My son just bought a brand new rio hatchback 2013. My gift as a dad, was to buy him some nice RTX wheels,. Those will change dramadickly the look of the car.
The other think i'd like to do is to upgrade the sound system. So i'd like to have help from you guys.......First, i saw on similar threads, that most of people change the 4 speakers, my question is: is it really 6.5 inches that goes in the four doors? Cause some pretend that 5.25 goes on the rear doors. And also, does the spacers are absolutly requires?

Now for adding an amp on the stock radio. I'd like to know from others that did so, where did they ran the power wire from the battery through the firewall? Where is the rubber grommet on the fire wall? Does the doors trims are hard to pull off? And from your own advise, where would be the best place to put the amplifier? And finally, what wire to tap in, for the remote, to turn on and off the amp. Ouf! i know, alot asked for the first thread!

Thank's in advance for taking the time to answer!;)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Hey.

You can just search through the thread. There have been a few people that have already done full write ups on their speaker installations.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
45 Posts
I put Polk DXI-650 and DXI-650i 6 1/2 inch speakers in the car.
Note, the standard stereo is very weak so you will need to add an amplifier otherwise the sound will be underpowered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank's

Thank's.... I called Crutchfeild support line to have some advise. He suggested me some 6.5'' Kikers for all doors, plus the spacers to fit those in the doors. That's what i did .Plus, I purchases an 5 chanels amp on eBay, so i will tap into the harness to put some hi-low adaptors..An adding a sub....The only thing i'm not sure is the place to put the amp. I hesitate between the trunk and beneeth the passenger front seet...What do you recommand?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
45 Posts
marleyfan61 put his amp in the trunk.

I am hoping to put one under the passenger seat but I am not currently close to my vehicle to check the available size (currently approx 2000 miles away on a business trip)

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Thank's.... I called Crutchfeild support line to have some advise. He suggested me some 6.5'' Kikers for all doors, plus the spacers to fit those in the doors. That's what i did .Plus, I purchases an 5 chanels amp on eBay, so i will tap into the harness to put some hi-low adaptors..An adding a sub....The only thing i'm not sure is the place to put the amp. I hesitate between the trunk and beneeth the passenger front seet...What do you recommand?
The SO amp was too big to put under the seat. I tried the Kicker speakers and found the high's way too harsh. Sent them back and went with Polk's. Way, way better. And despite what Crutchfield says the Polk DXi 650 (non "s" model) will fit front and back with the adapters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi

Thank you all for your answers guys! Marley, what do you mean when ''the highs are too harsh'' You see, english is not my first language, so harsh mean to loud or something like that? :confused:

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Thank you all for your answers guys! Marley, what do you mean when ''the highs are too harsh'' You see, english is not my first language, so harsh mean to loud or something like that? :confused:
The highs were too piercing. They almost hurt my ears. The polks were much more balanced and smoother.

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Marley, Ill eventually want to change my speakers but too many things on my priority list before then.

Drive over to your house for help with install when I do? :D?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
need info

Hi Marley, Wonder if you give me some info for my upcomming upgrade, not decide yet where to put the amp.Maybe i will put the amp in the trunk. I did see on other threads, the way to take the radio facia out, but for the bottom doors molding, i didn't saw anything, and they just clip? The other thing i'd like to find, is some info about the harness behind the stuck radio. Like to know witch wire are dedicated to the speakers, remote etc.....

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Hi Marley, Wonder if you give me some info for my upcomming upgrade, not decide yet where to put the amp.Maybe i will put the amp in the trunk. I did see on other threads, the way to take the radio facia out, but for the bottom doors molding, i didn't saw anything, and they just clip? The other thing i'd like to find, is some info about the harness behind the stuck radio. Like to know witch wire are dedicated to the speakers, remote etc.....
If the amp is small enough I'd probably mount it under the seat. That way you don't have to worry about things in the trunk being on top of it and causing overheating. The bottom door kick plates just pop right off. Just give them a pull. As for the wiring harness, I used a picture posted on here by another member. I'll see if I can find it later, I'm at work right now. The whole job is fairly easy but does take some time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow!

:clap: Oh my god! You guys are quick to respond! Thank you very much you all, much apriciate for all your info! My son just got his Rio tonight, with the black Rtx wheels mounted on the 15'' tires, and it looks awsome. I don't think the amp will fit Under the passenger seet, it's a 5 channels 2200w, i think i will probably put it in the trunk, beneeth where the spare should be! All that i miss, is the info for the stuck harness,, what wire goes to the speekers, acc..... I'll keep surching....if anyone find it first, i'll be more than greatfull.......Thank's again to Marley and the others..

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Amp Location

:clap: Oh my god! You guys are quick to respond! Thank you very much you all, much apriciate for all your info! My son just got his Rio tonight, with the black Rtx wheels mounted on the 15'' tires, and it looks awsome. I don't think the amp will fit Under the passenger seet, it's a 5 channels 2200w, i think i will probably put it in the trunk, beneeth where the spare should be! All that i miss, is the info for the stuck harness,, what wire goes to the speekers, acc..... I'll keep surching....if anyone find it first, i'll be more than greatfull.......Thank's again to Marley and the others..
Yup

I put my Alpine amp where the spare tire should be. It fits like a glove, does not overheat, looks awesome, and sounds great with Alpine component speakers (R Series) in the front and Alpine coaxial speakers (X Series) in the rear. The UVO Head Unit matched up perfectly with the amp.

I love playing with electronics :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi

Thank you all, never expect so many answers, this is defenitly a great forum!
I'm still waiting the 4 Ds65 Kickers that i order, and also the amp my son purchased on EBay. Will keep you update as soon i got it install. So far his new car is more than he was hopping. It't his very first car! Every salesmen at the dealer find the car awsome with the RTX wheels. I could post some pisctures if anybody want to see how it looks with those....Oh, by the way, i just registered at Kgis.:D

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Thank you all, never expect so many answers, this is defenitly a great forum!
I'm still waiting the 4 Ds65 Kickers that i order, and also the amp my son purchased on EBay. Will keep you update as soon i got it install. So far his new car is more than he was hopping. It't his very first car! Every salesmen at the dealer find the car awsome with the RTX wheels. I could post some pisctures if anybody want to see how it looks with those....Oh, by the way, i just registered at Kgis.:D
Good to hear and welcome to the forums again.

PS: Dont forget to put your location and profile information ;)

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Here are the wire colors for hooking up the speakers. Credit goes to Omarko for originally posting this image.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
?

Sorry, Marley, i cannot open the pictureas i click on it:confused:. I don't know if it's me, or something else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
found it!

Ok, i found the thread that picture was taken from. Thank you very much Marley, That brings me another question meanwhile, since i don't have the UVO radio, but the regular one, no tweeters, just the 4 speekers system, is this changes something?Just not pay attention to the two tweeters wires on no.2-11....
As i look each connections, which one would be used as the acc. or remote?
:confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts