Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo LX V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Upgrading made something go bad (Flip Down Monitor installation)

Hello everyone. I was wondering if someone could offer some advice because I am completely stumped. Here is my situation.

I purchased Pioneer AVH - x2500bt Head Unit to replace the factory radio. Last week I installed it with no problems. I could add pictures or offer any insight on this process to anyone. So it is a DVD 6.1 inch unit. I wanted to extend this feature to backseat passengers for road trips and long drives, so I purchased a T-View 13 Inch flip down monitor. This weekend I attempted to install it. I research many online articles and youtube videos. I had planned on tapping into the middle dome light for power. When I got to the wiring, there was an issue. Instead of the wiring being red, black, yellow, the wiring was red, black, light brown, dark brown. I cut the harness adapter that goes into the light fixture, thinking I could just tap into easy. No go. I had to go an alternative route. I installed a separate 12volt mini battery under the back seat for power to the monitor. After running wires everything was a go, pretty nice too. Big Problems ahead.

Somehow along the way, my power locks do not work unless the car engine is on. My alarm system does not work, along with my keyless entry. My clock light does not light up at anytime, neither does my upper console light.

What did I do wrong? By cutting the upper dome wires, did I mess something up? When I removed panels and running boards for my wiring, did I mess something up?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
The over head dome light is powered by +12v continuously and is "turned on" by grounding the bulb (+12v on one side and ground on the other). You shorted the +12v to ground and blew a fuse in the fuse panel under the dash. Because most cars "share" fuses the label on the blown fuse is probably not related to your actual problem.. You will need to remove and check each fuse until you find the blown one. A multimeter is available at Harbor Freight for around $6.00 if you need one.
Dave

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo LX V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave. I figured I cut the continuous 12v line. I will check the fuses. I know it had to do with when I cut the dome light wires adapter and removed it in order to put my flip down monitor. Thanks for your help. Out to the car to examine more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts