Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an '03 Sorento Lx 4x4 and I am trying to get 200-300 amps of draw into my audio system. In order to accomplish this the labor-intensive removal of the alternator is inevidable, but what to do next is the question. There are no aftermarket alternators out there specifically designed for 03-06 Sorentos that go above the 120A factory output.

So the first question is, have a shop rebuild it? or is there another alternator that would fit with some modifications. I see one online designed for the '07 Sorentos that puts out 220A.

The next thing I need to accomplish is the "big 3," upgrading the electrical connections between:

1) alternator positive to battery positive
2) battery negative to chassis
3) engine ground to chassis.

http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=339865

What would be a good way to put a big phat piece of power cable from engine ground to chassis?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Can i just ask how much money your going to spend on an audio system?
200- 300 amps, that is a SH!T load!
the price of the equipment will be worth more than the car!!!!

And with subs pushing out that much power, your going to get the rattles, and probably start to get wierd issues.
Keep in mind these kia's i dont believe are the best quality build....
They were still improving when they built these(my personal opinion), so i would be mindful of new issues all that rattling (thumping bass) would introduce.

I mean they do the job well, and i am happy with mine considering the price i paid for it(i consider it good enough for something that i am going to take off road and possibly beat up a little)...

Im not saying dont upgrade, but sounds like your hoping to take out max power trophies or something!!!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
And also go stone deaf in the process....

I can imagine a conversation with him..

Do you like my sound?
What? What? What? I can't make out what you are saying.
What? What?

They are in competition to see who goes deaf first or get thrown in jail for being a sound nuisance.

We have a few that go down our street in the early morning...not thinking about anyone but themselves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lol, I spent $500 on a solo x 18, loudest 12v sub in the world, $235 on 3500 watt rms amplifier and $150 on the solo x 18 enclosure, not a whole lot of cash. I've been waiting over 2 years for this and am bitter about how a shop fleeced me into spending $2700 on bass only to be horribly disappointed. Sounds great, but nowhere near did I get my money's worth.

I just want the power to be there, I used to bump wherever but now
I'm courteous to the neighbors, especially if I drive past their house every day.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
I don't know, in many ways they're better made than some of the Japanese stuff of late, Japanese seem to have dropped the ball a bit on 4WD lately.

I know what you mean though, if only they had kept on building them and refining them instead of going to a soft roader. The 2012 model would have been a world beater. I can only assume that this model was already far advanced in development when Hyundai took over.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Can i just ask how much money your going to spend on an audio system?
200- 300 amps, that is a SH!T load!
the price of the equipment will be worth more than the car!!!!

And with subs pushing out that much power, your going to get the rattles, and probably start to get wierd issues.
They were still improving when they built these(my personal opinion), so i would be mindful of new issues all that rattling (thumping bass) would introduce.

I mean they do the job well, and i am happy with mine considering the price i paid for it(i consider it good enough for something that i am going to take off road and possibly beat up a little)...

Im not saying dont upgrade, but sounds like your hoping to take out max power trophies or something!!!

If it means anything, I pulled 2nd place "stock 160" in IASCA competition (Thunder in the park, Watertown, NY) with 135.4db back in '02 with a '99 Kia Sephia. Upgraded to a Optimus Yellowtop battery, didn't change the alternator, and added ground wires from battery and alt.

Pioneer DEH-8500mp, 1.2fd capacitor, infinity 1200a (1200w @ 2ohm), infinity 600b (300w x2 driving the fronts), infinity kappa perfect 6.1 fronts, and MTX thunder 8000 (2x 12" @ 2ohm parallel/serial setup) subs.
Ample amount of dynamat kept the rattles down, but certainly didn't help with MPG ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jeez. He just wants to know if anyone knows about any larger alternators. I could use the info myself. I have a snow plow I use with my 06 Sorento. The alternator works fine but I could use a few more amps if I could find one.The lights dim a little when plowing after dark.
Oh yeah and my Sorento is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I average 22mpg and I have had no problems. We average over 150" of snow here and my Sorento has my driveway cleared every day.
So how bout it... Anyone know anything about an upgraded alternator or a swap from a newer model?

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Jeez. He just wants to know if anyone knows about any larger alternators. I could use the info myself. I have a snow plow I use with my 06 Sorento. The alternator works fine but I could use a few more amps if I could find one.The lights dim a little when plowing after dark.

Oh yeah and my Sorento is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I average 22mpg and I have had no problems. We average over 150" of snow here and my Sorento has my driveway cleared every day.
So how bout it... Anyone know anything about an upgraded alternator or a swap from a newer model?
The alternator mounts in a way that I've not seen used before. When my alternator was going, I was looking for something with more oomph too. There was nothing larger than stock that I could find even with extensive searching. All the local parts stores indicated that there was only two or three models, with the same exact specs, from different manufacturers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't even looked at the alternator myself. I saw this thread and thought I'd check it out. I've heard that an electrition can change out a diode or something. I'll check with the local shop. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Just keep in mind i said in my opinion they are not the best quality in terms of how they are built.
So take peoples opinion on the internet with a grain of salt (including mine)

Dont get me wrong, i really like mine for the price i paid and what its capable of doing.

But i believe they have come a long way as a brand and in terms of quality, esp in the last 5 years.
And as cmar said, if only they kept a proper 4wd and didn't turn it into a soft roader, with where they are now, i think Kia would have a real winner on their hands.

But alternator, i believe an auto electrician can rewind it with a better quality wire and by doing that get more turns into it, and give you more amps.
Maybe not huge, but at least its something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts