Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing this has been discussed before, but I'm not seeing any threads yet that discuss this all-in-one option. I just bought a used 2012 Sorento LX that is very much base. The mirror has no backup camera and the radio is stock. Is it possible to get a radio unit that not only has navigation, but also the ability to hook up to a backup camera? I doubt I'd change the stock radio if I couldn't also use it as a camera. I'd not do this install myself since it seems to me that camera installation would be a bit difficult (?).

I am open to the idea of having a backup camera in the mirror, but thought having it all in one place might be cheaper.

My wife has a 2011 Sorento with the backup camera mirror. I think I'd mainly want it because we have two small children. While I think the stock radio sounds pretty bad when using satellite radio, it's totally acceptable sounding with an iPod. Still, wouldn't mind upgrading.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX AWD
251 Posts
There are plenty of aftermarket stereos that will do this. I had two Pioneer AVICs in my last two cars, used the screen for an optional backup camera. That was 5 years ago, they have to be better now.

I bought a license plate frame with an embedded camera, worked pretty well and wasn't too goofy looking. With the right adapters and such you can keep the steering wheel controls as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've spent much more time investigating and do see plenty of units that do all this. I'm finding I'm not too thrilled with the $800 prices on some of the name brand products. I've only come across one Chinese model that looks like a decent product, but I've waffled because it looks like the iPod screen doesn't show album artwork. Maybe a silly reason to scoff, but it seems weird they wouldn't do that when they do almost everything else. We'll see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts