Kia Forum banner

Upcoming recall for brake system

13K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  LuluB22 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Cut and pasted some of the info below, basically the internal seals of the ABS/Traction Control unit may leak brake fluid onto the electrical internals of the module. The recall inspects for leaking fluid from the ABS module and replaces if necessary. On my SX the module is mounted on the left side of the firewall in the engine compartment. It's way back there under the horn behind the engine, not easy to see. (it has mutiple brake lines coming out the top). I inspected mine and it was dry.

NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls

• Recall Number

20V519000

Recall Date

08/27/2020

Component

SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK/TRACTION CONTROL/ELECTRONIC LIMITED SLIP:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE

Summary

Kia Motors America (Kia) is recalling certain 2013-2015 Optima and 2014-2015 Sorento vehicles. Brake fluid may leak inside the Hydraulic Electronic Control Unit (HECU), possibly resulting in an electrical short.

Consequence

If the HECU short circuits, there is an increased risk of an engine compartment fire.

What Owners Should Do

Kia will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the HECU for leaking brake fluid and replace the HECU if necessary, free of charge. Owners are advised to park outside and away from other vehicles and structures until the recall repair is completed. The recall is expected to begin October 15, 2020. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC197.

#3 ·
So I scheduled an appt. with my local dealer for the recall. After sitting in the waiting area about 20 minutes, the service advisor comes to me and says they don't have the equipment yet to perform the recall. He also told me the left rear wheel speed sensor is bad and to fix it would be $340 plus tax. The bad wheel speed sensor could be the reason the light is on, and not related to the recall at all. After searching around the internet for a bit, it seems to be a common problem on Kia's. Has anyone on here ever replaced a wheel speed sensor, specifically the left rear wheel? I'm a decent shade tree mechanic and may tackle this myself, but if it's too involved maybe just let the dealer do it. Also, some are of the opinion that sometimes you can simply clean the sensor and the light goes off.

#29 ·
I am having the same issue but it seems that Kia has issued a recall but then knowingly placed a number of vehicles by vin# on the no recall list. The dealer wants to charge me $310 for the sensor and $270 for the labor. This is ridiculous, I wonder is there a way to report them to the NHTSA?

#4 ·
Never did the job, looks like part is about $40.00 USD, See attached pic, book says to remove wheel and brake caliper. The sensor has what looks like a 12 inch pigtail in the parts book, to me it looks like routing the wire harness would be harder than the single bolt to pull the sensor. The cable harness maybe why they say remove the caliper to get more room, it looks the sensor could come off with wheel still there with the right tools. Again I Never performed replacement, so your just getting an internet guess for your question. Testing requires spinning wheel and an oscilloscope, or driving with GDS tool, probably not things you have laying around.
Auto part Engine Fuel line Tire Vehicle

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply. The pic you sent doesn’t look like my left rear wheel and components. I did pull the left rear wheel after work today to have a look and see what’s what. I couldn’t figure out how to get the connector off the sensor. I didn’t see anything to push, pull or squeeze to get the connector off. Didn’t want to break anything so I put the wheel back on.

#6 ·
The sensor comes with a 'pigtail' of wire attached, the usual procedure is to remove the sensor with the pigtail and unplug the pigtail connector from the loom, the join is usually/(hopefully) out of the way of moisture snags etc

#8 ·
Has anyone actually received the recall letter yet. If so, is the process just an inspection for external leaks or does it involve disassembly. Looked at mine with a remote camera and could not find any fluid on exterior of HECU. Vehicle has only 35,000 miles, 2014 SXL AWD

#9 ·
Has anyone actually received the recall letter yet. If so, is the process just an inspection for external leaks or does it involve disassembly. Looked at mine with a remote camera and could not find any fluid on exterior of HECU. Vehicle has only 35,000 miles, 2014 SXL AWD
Yep got the letters last week for both my sorento and optima. IMO it’s a waste of time. All they are going to do is inspect the unit. If it’s leaking they will replace. What’s to say it won’t leak the next day, week, month etc. if the part is defective it should be replaced regardless if it’s leaking or not at the time of inspection. I checked both of mine and didn’t see any leaking so I’m not wasting my time at the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if this recall gets escalated to outright replacement due to a class action lawsuit.

I can check my own module for exterior leaks, but if there is some internal issue that could either affect my brakes or burn down my car, then I just hope it happens while I'm not in the car or while I'm driving.

#16 ·
Where exactly is this leak suppose to be. What aspect is failing?

I'll want to look myself before taking it in. I just got a letter.

#17 ·
Again 'crickets' from Hyundai/Kia, no detailed info. Nothing for owners to check, just the usual trust the dealer to inspect. and then never worry about it again. Rumor mill says defective seals inside the HECU. Since this thing can apply and release brakes in each corner of the vehicle, basically taking control of the brake pedal during a spin, there must be a few actuators and valves inside it. Along with what sounds like, some non-insulated from leaks electronics. Not sure how they can inspect HECU internals, hope they are not just checking the outside for seapage from inside. Heck we can do that..

#18 ·
Not sure how they can inspect HECU internals, hope they are not just checking the outside for seepage from inside. .. Heck we can do that..
INdeed. I have just received the recall....I HATE to let others invade my property....so...I'll give a look....
More later....

#19 ·
I just did my pre winter oil change given the very mild warm temps we have this week. The unit is well hidden not even partially visible. Clearly something that could never be seen in normal servicing inspections.

#20 ·
Is this recall for all models of Sorentos in the 2014-2015 years? I have not received a notice yet on my 2014 SXL AWD and even if I put my VIN into the NHTSA database it does not show an outstanding recall for the brake system. I've also done a few other VIN searches in other databases and no recalls come up for my particular car.

#21 ·
If you are not registered with Kia as the owner or changed address without notifiying them you likely not get it. Its up to people buying vehicles used to register with the OEM.

Reactions: rushingw70
#23 ·
Update: Just went to my KIA owners account. It was set up when vehicle was purchased. No recalls or other issues showing for the vehicle. Perhaps the fact that it is AWD or was built within a non-affected time period may be the reason why there is no recall on this particular sorento.

#24 ·
Hmm miy AWD is but 2015.

#27 ·
I saw this in passing on the worldwide web but haven’t called my service dept yet for a checkup, maybe it’s worth a trip.

Side note: it’s been X years since my last post here, hope the old timers are still here.

#28 ·
I was unsuccessful in getting any meaningful explanation from the dealer on exactly what they would inspect/do if I took my 2014 Sorento in for Recall # 20V519 (Hydraulic Electonic Control Unit leak) which I did receive a letter from (and my VIN is in the NTSHA recall lookup database)

Someone cold-called me from the dealer wanting me to bring the car in. She couldn't tell me what exactly the recall inspection involved. Passed me off to a service consultant. At first he said it was just a visual inspection for leaks. Upon further questioning, he started saying it also involved "testing its performance". I asked many times in different ways HOW they tested it's performance. I would have believed him if he even said "we hook up our computer to your car and run a performance test on the HECU or something". But the service advisor could not even provide that level of detail, just that there was some kind of "performance check". He said the only person who would know would be a tech. I asked him to connect me with on to ask but he refused, said the only way was to bring the car in, etc. Frustrating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.