Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Purchased a 2000 Sportage from a dealer and firstly immediately found the fuel tank leaking. After two weeks of hell, finally got that sorted.

However, today I noticed two pipes split and I am unsure as to what they are.

They are on each front wheel area and come from somewhere in the engine area to a plate on the suspension and then down to the wheel. No fluid around them, so I assume they are some sort of vacuum hose.

Can anyone help as to what they are and are they easily replaced? Pic attached

Thanks

Darren

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phillip

Had a look online and cannot see any replacements anywhere. When you say plug them do you mean just tape them up and try to provide a good seal (good old duct tape)?

Thanks again for your help

Darren

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Take a chunk to the local auto parts store, they have vacuum hose by the roll..or
Install a screw/bolt in the open end.... Philip

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Just to add on to aquanaut20's suggestion - If you opt to plug where the vaccum hoses connect instead of replacing the lines, you will lose 4x4 unless you also replace your automatic hubs with manual hubs.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Great point, Wolf...

At this stage he has already lost 4x4 capability and if he throws it into 4x he will lose major vacuum... Philip

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great point, Wolf...

At this stage he has already lost 4x4 capability and if he throws it into 4x he will lose major vacuum... Philip
Thanks Guys.

Phillip - what would be the impact of that? As I already tried 4x before I noticed the pipes had split.

Will I need to do more than replace the pipes now?

Thanks
Darren

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
DARREN, an internal combustion engine works like a pump. To be efficient it must pull air, mix it with fuel in a 14/1 ratio..

If you have a vacuum leak, the ration changes to an inefficient lean burn which creates engine miss fire and potential burnt valves... Not to mention any contaminants that my be introduced... Philip

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
If the engine was still running smoothly when you put it into 4wd, I'd check to see if the other ends of those lines are disconnected and capped off (possibly by the previous ower if the lines split while they owned it).

In theroy, if the line splits are new and not capped off anywhere, the engine should run crappy when 4wd is engaged (aka a vacuum leak like aquanaut20 mentioned).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys.

Will take a look the weekend when I look at the other issues that are appearing.
Darren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts