Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, this is an unfair comparison. I admit that, but it's what I am looking at as of know. Could change tomorrow :)

Let's use MSRP for this discussion, forget back room deals for now. Also, automatic transmission models being considered.

2013 Kia Rio SX ($17,900) with Premium package ($2,350) and EC mirror w/Homelink & compass ($295). Including destination ($750) the MSRP is $21,295.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT ($19,395) with GT A/T Style Package ($2,750), GT A/T Technology Package ($2,350) and Auto-Dimming Mirror with Homelink ($250). Inslucing destination ($775) the MSRP is $25,520.

2 different cars, both loaded. $25,520 vs. $21,295. $4,225 as well as the tax associated with the additional cost, about 8.6%, so we'll say another $360. That brings a total difference of $4,585.

I acknowledge that the Elantra might be "more" of a car, but is it $4,585 more of a car? Build quality, Kia vs. Hyundai? I know what you will be saying, Hyundai owns Kia, so there might be no difference.

I guess I'm looking for opinions. Please comment away :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX, 5-door, Midnight Sapphire
13 Posts
I think I would have a hard time paying 25K+ for an Elantra hatch. At that price I would probably just go for a Focus ST. A more "base" priced Elantra GT is really appealing to me, but I don't think I could justify the loaded price. That said, it is a nice looking car and you'd probably like it a lot if you got one. I am still looking forward to reading the reviews as I was planning on holding out to test drive one but couldn't resist on the Rio5.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just wondering if you have you considered the Accent, or are you considering the Elantra for the space? I have to admit I probably would not consider a Forte, as much as I like the space and features, until it gets a styling update.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wondering if you have you considered the Accent, or are you considering the Elantra for the space? I have to admit I probably would not consider a Forte, as much as I like the space and features, until it gets a styling update.
Accent does not offer the "toys". Forte doesn't appeal to me like the Elantra does. Makes no sense, I know, but I'm the one spending the money so I might as well like the car.

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
I wouldn't consider the current Forte either. The redesigned model slated for probably the end of the year is a winner though!

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
You need to also consider the willingness to negotiate be dealerships. Every hyundai dealer i went to wasnt willing to negotiate very much compared to the kias which i got a awesome deal.

If i remember correctly, the elantra is the second best selling car in north america right now next too the civic. I doubt there will be much room to push when the turnover rate is so high, but if you are a baller then why care :/

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Kia and Hyundai are pitched to 2 different markets. Hyundai represents family while Kia main focus is fun/sports focus. It all depends what you want. If you want a family car you go for the Hyundai versions, if you want some fun you go for the Kia versions.

Another area is each one will be set up differently regardless of the parent company. Some area is transmissions and tuning.

One other part that people use to differentiate the two is that Hyundai will make it and Kia will fix it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Forte doesn't appeal to me like the Elantra does. Makes no sense, I know, but I'm the one spending the money so I might as well like the car.
Makes plenty of sense. I agree, the Elantra looks fantastic in the promo pics and at the shows. Sounds like the test drive will make the decision for you since both the Rio and Elantra have great styling and features.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You need to find a friend that works for Hyundai!;) My girlfriend's classmate's husband is a salesmen for Hyundai in my area. He told me he had Hyundai employees buying these cars in the 17K range! They get better deals than the KIA employees..we are the red head step children of the industry.

By the way I like the Elantra a lot!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX UVO
51 Posts
I went wi the Rio EX, just because I needed something right now. I have a friend who has the Elantra, and has it loaded, and loves it. It does drive great and is a lot of fun. If I had a little more time and money, I think I would have done the Veloster loaded. I like the look of the vehicle, I don't have kids, and lots of options including the blue link. I'm a gadget guy so that all appeals to me.

But, for now, I'm very happy with my Rio!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went wi the Rio EX, just because I needed something right now. I have a friend who has the Elantra, and has it loaded, and loves it. It does drive great and is a lot of fun. If I had a little more time and money, I think I would have done the Veloster loaded. I like the look of the vehicle, I don't have kids, and lots of options including the blue link. I'm a gadget guy so that all appeals to me.

But, for now, I'm very happy with my Rio!
This is what I considered trading my RIO in for towards the end of the year. The one with the Turbo of course! By then, I'll probably have decided to just keep my little RIO.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
What does THAT mean?
Not sure how it is out in Canada but down here in Australia its pretty common for Kia to come out with the better product when compared against its Hyundai couterpart. Many reviews that are made on Kia cars point this out too.

Its just Hyundai and Kia make cars to suit different markets.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just bought a rio5 hatch. I love the car but if that GT had of been available at the time it would have made for a tough decision - just saw the new little elantra for the first time yesterday and it is stunningly beautiful... Man the Koreans are on fire!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts