Kia Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is documented in a post card I found underneath my seat that must have fallen during prep, and I am not certain this is documented in the manual, but if you have an interior lighting package, you can hold the button for 5 seconds in the center console (by the gear lever) to turn on the automatic color change cycle and push once more to set to one particular color or off.
Hmm, im pretty sure i have the package on my 2011 ex v6 but im not seeing a button near the gear shift. Got a picture?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wonder if you have encountered and found a solution to the night lighting when Sat radio is selected. The rest of the dash dims nicely but the radio display is so bright it is makes night vision difficult. I have not found a way to dim it and usually switch it Nav to see even when not using NAV. It is somewhat of a safety issue.
Curious if you or anyone else has found a solution.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Does anyone know whether these light up at night, or how, if possible to get them actually hooked up to power to actually emit light. I am thinking that this must be a safety feature offered for oncoming cars to see that a door is open, however, my brief experiment with a flashlight at night really doesn't reflect a darn thing. Can anyone enlighten me please?

EX V6 AWD 2012.
A reply.

They are lights for the doors. See here: http://www.mancando.com/images/Interior/LEDDoorLight/SorentoR_Led Door Light 2.jpg

And I had them in my build date Jan-2010; Korean-sourced Sorento.

They are only in the front.
I believe they are called courtesy lamps. They light up when the door is open similar to the cabin light and are found only on the front doors.
My 2001 Santa Fe was the same. Different markets had slightly different things. Mine had grey inserts. Behind that was wiring and bulb socket. I ordered the red reflector, put in a bulb and they worked. Later years removed the wiring as others tried but could not do this.

Maybe the Sorento is the same?
Ah. So you mean if we peek under the red reflector (on Sorento), there may be a revelation..
With the Santa Fe I had to remove the door panel to get behind it. Only after that could I remove the insert and replace it with the reflector. Best way to find out is to try!

Sorry to dredge up old business, but has anyone confirmed one way or another if these are simply red plastic lens covers (for looks) or if there is a light socket behind them?

I have these on my 2013 LX and was thinking it's awfully silly to have them there and not be functional lights, but who knows? Maybe it's just easier/cheaper in the manufacturing and assembly process to have only one interior door panel with the red lens attached rather than having 2 different ones for the different trim models/options packages.

I've had these on other cars and they definitely help seeing the outside edge of the door at night, both by humans so they don't walk into it and by oncoming cars to see the door is open into (or close to) their lane of traffic, so if there IS a socket in there that I can simply plug a bulb into, I'd like to do that. I tried prying them off with a thin-bladed screwdriver, but they seemed pretty firmly attached and I didn't want to break anything on a car I had only a week.

Figured someone here would know about this and I even tried searching but alas, the search function here leaves much to be desired. Just happened to be browsing through this thread today and Voila! (as they say), here was exactly what I was looking for . . . just no firm answer one way or another.

So, anyone know fer sure??? :huh:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wonder if you have encountered and found a solution to the night lighting when Sat radio is selected. The rest of the dash dims nicely but the radio display is so bright it is makes night vision difficult. I have not found a way to dim it and usually switch it Nav to see even when not using NAV. It is somewhat of a safety issue.
Curious if you or anyone else has found a solution.
Thanks.
In the settings menu under display there is an option to adjust the screen brightness. I realize this knocks down the brightness at all times but even at the lowest setting the screen is still visible throughout the day.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Navigation head unit shows step by step directions as most do. For example, 2 km then turn left.

Found out today that if you have POIs on, such as gas or fast food, then the step by step directions are much more numerous and show the type of POI available at that step or exit.

I was traveling on a highway and with the POIs on, every exit or every other exit showed up in the direction list along with a distance to the poi. When the POIs were off, far fewer steps in the direction list.

I think you have to set the destination after you select the type of POI to display. Not sure if that's exactly right.

Very handy when you need to find closest gas station or closest washroom. Very annoying if you don't and there are a ton of steps in the direction list instead of 1 step that says 150 km to the exit you need.

I was just using the POIs showing in the map and never noticed the change in the direction list.

Neat to find something new after having the Sorento after almost 4 years now.

·
Registered
661 Posts
When you open a door, the courtesy lights come on. If the door remains open for a certain amount of time, not sure how long, the lights go off.

My dad had left the rear passenger door open after coming back from doing some shopping. It may have been 15 or 30 minutes later when I went back out to the car and the light was still on. While removing a shopping bag from the car, the light went off. I closed the door and reopened it and the lights came back on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Careful with car seats in the third row

I know it was an older post, but the recommendation of using the third row for a child seat I would not endorse. Especially if the 2nd row is in recline mode. There is not a lot of room and there could be a potential for the baby to come in contact with the seat back.

Lot's of good stuff.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The battery in my remote died yesterday. Went out to the car to unlock the doors with the button on the door handle and nothing worked. Used the remote from my car starter and confirmed it unlocked immediately. This confirmed the remote battery died...maybe something was pressing against the buttons in my pocket.

In any case, the tip for this post is that I used the slot in the center storage box for the first time. It worked well. I think that's a post in this thread. The thing I wasn't expecting was what happened when I went to leave the vehicle with the keys still in the slot. The chiming bell chimed but it seemed different than I've heard at other times. It was a fairly fast repetition. Cool.

Oh, also, I hadn't seen the posts for the display a few posts before this one. For rick_nh and phisman79, in the settings, you can actually turn the display off completely. When I drive at night, the red lighting of the rest of the dash is quite soothing. The turn by turn navigation, music and other functions still work. When you touch anything, the display comes back on.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts
About this Discussion
170 Replies
93 Participants
VIM
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing