Kia Forum banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just bought a '12 EX w/premium. Had no problem pairing both cell phones but both when using handsfree the person on the other end complains of low volume. The phones are different brands. Is there any way to increase the volume being transmitted? Also, where is the microphone in the Sorento? Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just bought a '12 EX w/premium. Had no problem pairing both cell phones but both when using handsfree the person on the other end complains of low volume. The phones are different brands. Is there any way to increase the volume being transmitted? Also, where is the microphone in the Sorento? Thanks
Not to discourage you, but please read the title of thread and post.
Open a new thread for a problem that you may have..

·
Registered
19 Posts
But to answer your questions: Mic is in headliner above visor, and during the call, use the volume button on the steering wheel or head unit to adjust volume.

·
Registered
55 Posts
2 pushes, not one, and without stepping on the brake - it won't start unless you step on the brake
Responding to an almost year old post...with the wrong info.

To play the radio, you only need to push the start button once, as was originally posted. To turn on gauges, fan, etc...you push twice. Third push turns off everything...all without depressing the brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
This has been pointed out before and the way most use the proximity key is to put it in your pocket in the morning and not touch it again until unloading pockets at night. This is about the only reason to actually handle the proximity key. Kinda defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This has been pointed out before and the way most use the proximity key is to put it in your pocket in the morning and not touch it again until unloading pockets at night. This is about the only reason to actually handle the proximity key. Kinda defeats the purpose.
And it's not undocumented either.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Responding to an almost year old post...with the wrong info.

To play the radio, you only need to push the start button once, as was originally posted. To turn on gauges, fan, etc...you push twice. Third push turns off everything...all without depressing the brake pedal.
To clarify the "one button push to start", I think what was meant is that you don't have to go through an "accessory" position to start it up. You can put your foot on the brake, push the start button and it fires up.

On a second item, I have been able to open a door without unlocking it. It seemed to be a physical/mechanical link so that as the door handle is pulled, the lock comes along with it. I don't remember seeing this in the manual, but I haven't read it that closely.

I have only tried this on the drivers side door:
  • I was in the car with the doors locked.
  • Don't remember if I had just turned off the engine or it was still running.
  • I pulled the door handle, without unlocking, and the door opened.
  • It unlocked and opened as if it was not locked.
I'm not sure if I like this or not but at this point, I think it's good. I have the lock settings so that when the car is put in park, all doors get unlocked. I think that's the default and I'd prefer that they don't automatically unlock. Still need to test out when this can happen, if it can be done on all doors, if the car is in motion, does that affect this, is this also possible at different speeds, etc. With this feature, you can change the settings so that the doors do not automatically unlock and still be able to get out of the car without an extra step of unlocking the doors.

Can others try this as well and see if it's the same for your vehicle.

·
Registered
929 Posts
To clarify the "one button push to start", I think what was meant is that you don't have to go through an "accessory" position to start it up. You can put your foot on the brake, push the start button and it fires up.

On a second item, I have been able to open a door without unlocking it. It seemed to be a physical/mechanical link so that as the door handle is pulled, the lock comes along with it. I don't remember seeing this in the manual, but I haven't read it that closely.

I have only tried this on the drivers side door:
  • I was in the car with the doors locked.
  • Don't remember if I had just turned off the engine or it was still running.
  • I pulled the door handle, without unlocking, and the door opened.
  • It unlocked and opened as if it was not locked.
I'm not sure if I like this or not but at this point, I think it's good. I have the lock settings so that when the car is put in park, all doors get unlocked. I think that's the default and I'd prefer that they don't automatically unlock. Still need to test out when this can happen, if it can be done on all doors, if the car is in motion, does that affect this, is this also possible at different speeds, etc. With this feature, you can change the settings so that the doors do not automatically unlock and still be able to get out of the car without an extra step of unlocking the doors.

Can others try this as well and see if it's the same for your vehicle.
Both the front drivers, and passenger doors will open straight away from the inside, despite what position the locks are in. It doesn't matter if the vehicle is moving or stationary.
E.G. Passenger just pulls door handle at 110km/h and the door will open. The rear (Where most children are seated) have to be unlocked first.
The only flaw I see in this is the speed at which the door locks themselves re-lock. Its a little slow.
Ah, well. Whatever. :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not sure if this is documented or not. I bought a radar detector that has a bluetooth connection for the iPhone app that supports the device. While driving yesterday I realized that there was a problem with my phone. I would answer it via the car but the calls went to the phone instead of the car and a message popped up on the screen indicating I should choose car or phone to use the phone.

If there are competing BT devices I guess the newest one gets priority and you have to manually adjust priority.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While it is correct that you only need one push to start the car (with the brake depressed), that is not what the OP meant to say, nor what I responded to. The OP stated it took two presses of the start button to turn on the radio, without pressing the brake. In fact, it takes one press of the start button to turn the radio on, without pressing the brake (although another two presses to turn the power back off).

·
Registered
661 Posts
Oops...my bad. I misread or misinterpreted. We've clarified both uses, although I think mine was pretty obvious and most people would have already figured it out.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Ok, this one IS in the manual, but maybe easily overlooked - today when we left for church I put the smart key in the smart key holder just because I wanted to try it and also show the wife in case she ever needed to use it. When we got there, I was unable to pull it back out - tugged and tugged on it, would not come out. Finally pushed down on it and it released, just before panic set in. Felt a tad dumb. If you use it, you must push down to get it to release! Says so in the manual.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ok, this one IS in the manual, but maybe easily overlooked - today when we left for church I put the smart key in the smart key holder just because I wanted to try it and also show the wife in case she ever needed to use it. When we got there, I was unable to pull it back out - tugged and tugged on it, would not come out. Finally pushed down on it and it released, just before panic set in. Felt a tad dumb. If you use it, you must push down to get it to release! Says so in the manual.
Thanks. Good info. Easily overlooked (as the usage is rare)..

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think some or all may be in the manual but these are some useful things that I've adjusted or observed. Some don't apply to all models or they may exist in the UVO.

Nav settings - there are many settings...should look through them:
  • Auto dim - with auto headlight setting, the nav automatically switches from black text and roads on white background to white text and roads on black background when it gets dark...interestingly, the headlights and the Nav seem to detect this time separately and often switch on/off at different times. Click Setup button on bottom right of unit and then go to display area.
  • Speed sensitive volume. Click the sound button on the display when on AM/FM/SAT. Not sure if I notice a difference but there is a setting for this that presumably increases volume, without changing the volume setting, when you go faster....to account for the increased road and wind noise. This also has Equalizer to adjust front/back and left/right balance, base, treble and to turn surround on/off.
  • Satellite category button. When on the Satellite setting, the CAT button in the middle of the navigation area on the screen can be turned on and off. That means that as you go through the channels by going left and right, you will stay within the current category. You click up and down to switch categories. I like this to stay in the Comedy or Rock categories.
Auto climate control:
  • Reflectivity excellent in direct sunlight as it's an LCD display. Same for clock. Not so much for Nav screen
  • I set the dash brightness at one notch below the brightest setting. This turns off the backlighting for the climate control and makes, in my opinion, a more pleasant night drive while still keeping the brightest digits/lettering during the day.
Cup Holder:
  • There is a plastic piece that sticks up between the two holes. grab it with index finger and thumb and pull. bottom layer lifts out for easy cleaning and access to screws.
  • I'm sure everyone's noticed, the rear cup holder is a little bigger than the front cup holder

·
Registered
661 Posts
I occasionally will turn off the radio on the SX Navigation unit. You can turn it back on using the mode button on the steering wheel or the head-unit. So if you were listening to FM, it turns back on listening to FM. When you use the mode buttons on the head-unit, it goes directly to the mode selected. The volume buttons on the steering wheel and the head-unit do not turn it back on.

When navigating to a POI through the SX navigation, it also lists the POI phone number. Not sure if it's available with all POI but it showed the phone number when viewing Best Buy. Handy!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Cruise Control

I thought there was another thread where someone said the Cruise Control was turning off but I couldn't find it. I was looking up something in the manual and read the following about the Cruise Control:
To cancel cruise control, do one of the following:
  • Press the brake pedal.
  • Press the clutch pedal with a manual transaxle.
  • Shift into N (Neutral) with an automatic transaxle.
  • Push the CANCEL switch located on the steering wheel.
  • Decrease the vehicle speed lower than the memory speed by 12 mph (20 km/h).
  • Decrease the vehicle speed to less than approximately 25mph (40 km/h).
The interesting one is the 2nd last. This may explain why some have experienced the cruise going off. I think it happened once to me but I didn't think much of it at the time.

So, for example, if you have the cruise set at 100 km/h and then drop down to below 80 km/h, it will turn the cruise control off.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Couldn't find this in the manual: If you have your headlamps on (or in the Auto position at night) activating the windshield washer will also activate the headlamp washers. This happens only once during a given time period and not at subsequent presses. Not sure what the 'dormant' interval is.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Couldn't find this in the manual: If you have your headlamps on (or in the Auto position at night) activating the windshield washer will also activate the headlamp washers. This happens only once during a given time period and not at subsequent presses. Not sure what the 'dormant' interval is.
"headlamp washer"? is there is washer for that?

121 - 140 of 171 Posts
About this Discussion
170 Replies
93 Participants
VIM
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing