Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to start a thread of undocumented or unknown 2011+ Sorento things. If you know of anything, please post. Some of these could be documented but hard to find or unknown.

-On the Radio with Nav, if you are listening to a SAT or Radio station while using the NAV, there isn't really a specific button on the dash that changes back to the radio display. If you know you are on SAT or Radio, you can press those buttons on the dash. Another way that I found out recently is if you press the MODE button on the steering wheel. The first time you press it, it takes you back to the radio display without changing modes. You can also press the Green Phone button on the steering wheel to change to the Phone display, You can press Map/Voice on the dash to change back to Nav.

-On the Radio with Nav, some phones download contacts using Lastname, Firstname rather than "Firstname Lastname". If your phone does this (You can tell from the contact list), the "Call Name" Speech recognition dialing works better by saying the name as "Lastname, Firstname".

- On the radio without sat nav only the phone that is set to priority auto connects via blue-tooth. The others must be selected from the radio and manually connected. (My windows mobile phone auto connects and is set as the priority phone, my wife and son both have droid phones and they refuse to auto connect unless they are set as the priority phone.)

-If it seems to take a very long time to download your phone book, clear your call history. That will speed things back up.

-On the Radio with Nav, if you have multiple phones paired with the system, each phone uses it's own contact list, and each phone has it's own call history. They can't be shared or edited.

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,861 Posts
Good idea for a thread, I will make a sticky of it for you. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
great idea for a topic :)

- On the radio without sat nav only the phone that is set to priority auto connects via blue-tooth. The others must be selected from the radio and manually connected. (My windows mobile phone auto connects and is set as the priority phone, my wife and son both have droid phones and they refuse to auto connect unless they are set as the priority phone.)

[edit]
-If it seems to take a very long time to download your phone book, clear your call history. That will speed things back up.
[/edit]

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mute button the steering wheel also cancels Voice Recognition, if you are trying to do Name Dial or other Voice Recognition stuff.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento
3 Posts
The trip computer driving time resets to zero when the vehicle is off for approximately 4 hours. Likewise the average miles per hour resets when the vehicle is off for approximately 4 hours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
great idea for a topic :)

[edit]
[/edit]
Do you find that the address book updates itself automatically each time your system connects to the audio system? Since it has been taking over 5 minutes to perform the upload, this has been a major problem for us. If I have to call someone to let them know my ETA, I often have to wait several minutes for the phone to become operational because the system is locked by the upload.

Also, there is no notification of when the upload has ended, so you have no choice but to keep trying until you get through. Very annoying!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes.. Address book updates seem to happen every time. I haven't tried clearing my call history, but my address books on my phones are limited to less than 50 entries that sync. On one phone I don't have that many entries. On the other phone (Blackberry), I set the blackberry software to only sync one category of contacts. This category has less entries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Relating to the operation of the Bluetooth system (non-Nav, although I don't think it matters):

When you add a new address entry by voice or you place a call using the voice commands by number, be careful not to say anything else after you enter the numbers until you get a voice prompt. We tried to say "store" and the system though we were saying "4" and added a digit to the number (stored in the phone book.)

The undocumented result is the the system stored an 11 digit phone number ending in 4 , as in (xxx) xxx-xxxx4 and every time we used the voice command to call that number by name we got an equally undocumented two tone alarm (very loud) that sounded like a British police siren. There was no explanation of the error either in the voice prompts or on the audio system screen.

So if you do hear an alarm like this when you try to call by name, check that you have given the system a valid phone number.

As noted in my previous post, the other undocumented issue we have with the Bluetooth system is that it seems to download the address book from the phone every time it connects. That makes the bluetooth system completely unusable for the first 5-10 minutes of every trip. The system should notify you when it is done downloading, but it doesn't. At least on the non-Nav audio system.

Again, does anyone know how to stop it from doing that?!!!?!?!?

/TWCP

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Relating to the operation of the Bluetooth system (non-Nav, although I don't think it matters):

When you add a new address entry by voice or you place a call using the voice commands by number, be careful not to say anything else after you enter the numbers until you get a voice prompt. We tried to say "store" and the system though we were saying "4" and added a digit to the number (stored in the phone book.)

The undocumented result is the the system stored an 11 digit phone number ending in 4 , as in (xxx) xxx-xxxx4 and every time we used the voice command to call that number by name we got an equally undocumented two tone alarm (very loud) that sounded like a British police siren. There was no explanation of the error either in the voice prompts or on the audio system screen.

So if you do hear an alarm like this when you try to call by name, check that you have given the system a valid phone number.

/TWCP
On the Nav system there is no way to manually add names/numbers. The system only uses the directory it downloads from the phone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On mine when the download is done , it says '' transfer completed ''.
Since my last post I learned that the Cell Phone we have as the priority (default) phone is not entirely compatible (according to the Kia Website). Maybe that is the cause of our specific problem. It is listed as having been tested, but the "address book" features are grayed out as non-compatible.

I will test it with a different phone (hopefully one on the list as compatible). It may be that the address book upload take so long because it actually has to time out before it stops. That would also explain why I don't get the "transfer completed" message.

The phone (a Verizon Motorola W755) is listed as compatible with the basic hands-free operations, and it does work fine other then the address update problem.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found this today...

On the Radio with Nav:

You can say "Voice Setup"

Then you can turn on/off the initial voice prompt, when you press the voice command button. Makes it slightly less annoying.

You can also train the voice system by speaking 20 different word/numbers into the system. There is an application that directs you on how to do this. You can also reset the training back to defaults

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sirius Sat Radio (Parental Controls)

The dealership told us that there was a way to lock out questionable channels on SIRIUS radio to prevent children from accessing them. I have looked and looked but found nothing in the KIA manual stating how to do this. I also looked for a manual on the radio exclusively but found nothing. Did the dealer lie to us or is there a way to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealership told us that there was a way to lock out questionable channels on SIRIUS radio to prevent children from accessing them. I have looked and looked but found nothing in the KIA manual stating how to do this. I also looked for a manual on the radio exclusively but found nothing. Did the dealer lie to us or is there a way to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Maybe you can post this in a separate thread. You will get more responses and then if someone has figured it out.. they can post it in here. This thread is more for posting things you have already figured out, rather then asking how to do something..

·
Registered
2011 Sorento, 2006 Boulevard M50
5 Posts
I'm pretty sure you need to activate your account on the sirius website first and then use channel blocks on the website, that will create the "content filter" for your account and the channel will be blocked on your radio in the car.
That's how it used to be with XM before they merged...

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX V6 Limited FWD Spicy Red
14 Posts
Three turn signal click for lane change is activated on some models by a momentary flick of the lever.

·
Registered
2010+ XM Sorento Platnium, Titanium Silver
109 Posts
On a std head unit with the KIA Bluetooth added (AU car), playing around with the setup on the head and Bluetooth the other day, I got a British Womans voice come through the speakers say something about Bluetooth pairing. Can not get it to come back

seems I triggered some sort of Easter Egg in the head unit.

·
Registered
Bright Silver Sorento EX V6 Luxury + 3rd Row (10.8L / 100Km Summer, 12.L / 100Km Winter)
101 Posts
- If you have an iPod hooked up to the USB/Aux input, it will be powered on as soon as you step inside the car with your key. (Before pushing the Start Engine)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD Black/Black Leather, 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
87 Posts
^Most likely the iPod is always (even when you are outside of the car) hooked up (powered on) in the Sorento as long as it is plugged in.

I have an 8 GB USB drive plugged into the USB jack and it has a single red light on it. This red light is always on (with the car off and me outside), thereby making me think that it is always in a "powered on" mode.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX I4 2WD, 1970 Buick Skylark
45 Posts
USB Socket Power

Funny how differently these supposedly "identical" vehicles can behave. I also have a 8 GB USB drive that I leave plugged in all the time. It has the little red LED power indicator light. When I get in the Sorento, the light is off. If I start the engine, or just select the "Accessory" position with the key, the USB red light is still off. If I then turn on the radio, (using any source except the USB drive), the red light is still off. It is only when I select "USB" as my audio source that the red LED lights up. After it is lit, however, it then stays on regardless of what audio source I select. Even if I turn the radio off, it stays lit, until the next time I cut the power by turning the key off. Then it goes out.

I wouldn't like having the light on all the time. I realize it probably draws very little power, but that is just one more "parasitic" drain on your battery. This is getting to be a real problem with modern vehicles - there are too many systems and accessories that have to be constantly energized. If your battery becomes weak, and/or you let the vehicle sit for weeks at a time without driving it, this constant drain can lead to a "no-start" condition. Just another good excuse to exercise your Sorento regularly!

1 - 20 of 171 Posts