Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX AWD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I just recently bought a 2011 Kia Sorento here in Richmond, Canada.. I was just wondering if do we really need to do undercoating? Thanks for those who would give inputs! ;)

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX FWD Dark Cherry Red
273 Posts
Do they still actually offer that anymore? I honestly havent heard about it since the early 80's. I doubt you would need it since the frames are dipped in an anti corrosive wash before assembly but then again I have been completely wrong before on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento Lx AWD V6
52 Posts
Yes while the frames are dipped in the anit corrosive wash it isn't total protection from the elements. If you live in an area with no snow or salt and pretty moderate weather I'd say you don't need to worry but the wash is only designed to protect against water and rust...not corrosive elements.

I plan on doing some under coating when it warms up. It's pretty simple, a few cans of under coating, and something to protect your garage floor, jack it up and remove the wheels and fender liners. and just spray

make sure you clean off the surface first before applying. Besides providing protection from the elements, it also insulates from weather and sound...

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4 w/Manual 6spd
273 Posts
It's a judgement call, it depends on how meticulous you are, how long you plan to keep the vehicle, how much salt is used in your area, do you drive on gravel roads a lot, do you put on a lot miles under adverse conditions etc..

In most cases it's probably overkill, the anti-corrosion treatment from the factory is really good in modern vehicles, the chances of rust occuring on any body panels under normal driving conditions before say 10 years is extremely low. You will tend to get surface rust on some areas of the frame, but it's not visible unless you crawl on your belly and it's nothing to be concerned about. If you drive a lot of miles in winter salty conditions on gravel and sand a lot (sand blast effect can wear down metal coatings and eventually lead to some rust) you might want to consider it, but even then it's not required, if you get some surface rust on the underside of the body panels it will still take years before it rusts through and you notice it on the outside of the vehicles. When we bought our Sorento they didn't even offer it or suggest it.

For me it would not be something to consider, the Sorento will only be driven between 10 and 15,000 km per year, of those only about 4,000 will be driven during winter. So after 15 years of ownership the vehicle will only have between 150,000 and 225,000 km and it will be an old vehicle with very little residual value. If this old vehicle has a little bit of rust that is ok with me and any prospective buyers probably won't be too concerned with it either considering the mileage and it won't be worth much more than say $3000. I could get it undercoated now so that the 15-year-old Sorento will still look like new and I can get maybe $500 to $1000 bucks more, but that's less than I'd have to pay for the undercoating today so it's just not worth it.

But, it definately won't hurt, if you don't mind spending a few hundred bucks it will ensure that your body panels and undercarriage is completely protected from corrosion. BUT, this is highly dependant on how well the material is applied, like was mentioned before the metal needs to be cleaned and dried well and the applicator needs to be compentant and careful - basically find someone to do a good job if you decide to go with it.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento
256 Posts
dealer regular price is 900 bux for undercoating in canada

i got it done for 500 im financing my vehicle for 48 months so it comes to $10.47 a month for the undercoating.

it comes with life time warranty and transferable so why not? winter lasts 5 months in canada... but thats just me

·
Registered
2011 kia sorento ex-v6 awd
26 Posts
holy shit seriously 900bux??? thats insane.. i spend a whole 15bux and used krown k-40 oil spray and did my whole sorento myself at work. We only charge 120bux to do undercoatings at work and that includes drilling holes into the doors, and frame to soak the inside. I did it just cause its cheap for me and it helps, plus where i am sand salt, other chemicals are used on the roads.

also now any shop that wants to do undercoating will require a spray booth atleast here in northern ontario. alot of shops around me aren't doing undercoating anymore cause of the huge cost of the booth and ventilation.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX AWD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they did offered me , but its on package. Undercoating, rust proof, paint protect and the electronic anti rust which comes $500 , but i only want the undercoat so i was considering looking for other shops who specializes undercoati g. Then i heard of krown, although it rarely snow here in richmond i still would wanted to have it undercoated. Any idea on how much it would cost me ?
Btw, ty for the inputs. I dont travel on harsh roads but i consider the salts they put on roads that might have some effects on the long run.. But i still consider your opinions...

·
Registered
2011 kia sorento ex-v6 awd
26 Posts
well since your out in b.c. you got alot of salt in the air with all the moisture so undercoating would be handy to do, but shop around and ask what product they use. Ah ok that would makes more sense for 900bux or 500 in your case. to get all that, personally there hasnt been any proof found that the anti rust modules acutally work.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX FWD Dark Cherry Red
273 Posts
So I am curious. I lived in WA state for years (right next to BC) and never had any of my cars made after the early 80's rust from the weather. I honestly have never seen the need for it. I am sure there are some folks who live in the most extreme climates where they use tons of chemicals on the roads to de-ice that might need it though.

Those of you that do get the undercoating, when did you last have any issues on a vehicle that wasn't protected? Have you always had every vehicle done? I really am just wondering about it. As I said in my earlier post, I haven't heard of anyone getting this done since the days when it was a dealer "add-on" so they could make more money. I remember my friends making jokes about undercoating from the dealer on new cars.

Hopefully I'm not coming across wrong to anyone. I dont mean to say anyone is dumb for getting the undercoating done or anything. Please dont take my post wrong.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
Yes they did offered me , but its on package. Undercoating, rust proof, paint protect and the electronic anti rust which comes $500 , but i only want the undercoat so i was considering looking for other shops who specializes undercoati g. Then i heard of krown, although it rarely snow here in richmond i still would wanted to have it undercoated. Any idea on how much it would cost me ?
Btw, ty for the inputs. I dont travel on harsh roads but i consider the salts they put on roads that might have some effects on the long run.. But i still consider your opinions...
I have had my Rondo Krown Rustproofed since purchase, if you get it done within six months of purchase they will guarantee it for the life of ownership.
I would not get the undercoating/rustproofing done from the dealer - too expensive for what it is and not proven.
Krown specializes in this type of work and they have done it for many years and its been proven. I get it done once a year (just had it done today), they have a locked in price, so when you get it done the first time, that price is the same every year from that point (but not if you change vehicles). Current pricing for a car is $120 a year (mine is $110 + tx), a Sorento might be $10 or $20 more.
I've had another car done in the past and it really helped. If you don't plan on keeping it for longer than the warranty maybe it might not be required.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Check Consumer's Reports.. they have looked into this for many years. Then check the warranty carefully... where does the rust come from. These paint protection wording says it has to rust from the inside. It never will, it's always from the paint side. These are usually dealer extra $$$ like seat protection spray and nitrogen in the tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts