Kia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My under cover is falling apart. Three screws are gone. The new engine under cover (29110-C6800) costs $300. Wondering if I should just remove the broken under cover and leave it off. The question is do I really need it? Will that void the warranty?

2019 Kia Sorento LX AWD V6

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
537 Posts
It's a crap shoot, could have no effect, or may cause a problem, there is no historical data to reference on Sorento forums. All cars behave differently, areodynamics, cooling, water, snow, road debris, etc may or may not be effected. Personally with a lot of electronics in the engine compartment, 2 or 3 electrical connectors on the tranny, along with the AC compressor and alternator mounted way down low, I would pay for the insurance of keeping some percentage of water, gravel and possible snow away. Unlike a stronger metal guard it's not going to provide much help for rockclimbing. A search comes up with some Kia shops charging about $200 for the 'Undercover". In my travels I have also found the local small independent body shops can sometimes get body parts at lower costs.

Reactions: aslusers

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
817 Posts
Most engine undercovers serve a cooling purpose as well as an engine cleanliness function. Although it's ridiculously priced at $300, probably still a good idea. I though I saw someone selling a lightweight aluminum one that fit the Sorento but that could have been for a different vehicle as I can't readily find it.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T
94 Posts
I found replacement covers on carid. They appear to be aftermarket and made of plastic, not the fabric/cardboard type that came with the car. $80. Has anyone used one of these?

The cover is different for the 2.4/2.0 engine and the 3.3 v6, I wonder what is different between the two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. There is a different between 2.4/2.0 engine and the 3.3 v6. As for 2.4/2.0, it requires Kia Under Cover 29110-C6500. As for the 3.3 V6, it is Kia Under Cover 29110-C6800.

As for the cost, it is same for both parts. It is listed at $287.50, and I can get a lower price at HugeKiaParts.com for $193.20. But, I have not ordered it yet. I am hoping that someone on this forum will say, "forget that part. Get it removed. You do not need it."

Keeping my fingers crossed.

If everyone said that I should get it to keep my basic warranty 60/60K intact, then I will remove the damaged Under Cover and replaced with a new Under Cover.

It seems to be simple installment. The only hassle is to get my car on a slightly upper ground so I can crawl under and take care of it. No need to pay someone to do this labor.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,924 Posts
Please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA

Yes. Done. Thanks for showing me how it works. Truly appreciate that. Thank you for all you do for the forum.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX, 3.3l v6
76 Posts
...It seems to be simple installment. The only hassle is to get my car on a slightly upper ground so I can crawl under and take care of it. No need to pay someone to do this labor.
A word of caution before you go down that rabbit hole - I think there are like 12 to 14 bolts / screws that you'd need to do - if you were doing that yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
17 bolts in total. You'll need to elevate the car to access them all.
It doesn’t say what sku parts for the bolts (17 of them). The SKU part did not mention if the under cover come with bolts or not.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0 tGDI AWD
212 Posts
it doesn't come with the screws. mine is damaged and while functionally the sorento acts just like normal, but structurally it is not. the inner fenders are attached by the underengine cover and will get damaged if you do not have the cover in place. I actually have to replace my passenger inner fender, possibly the drivers side as well, the underengine cover and the bottom part of my bumper because the underengine cover attaches to it and it's damaged.

grumble grumble... stupid snow and ice... grumble grumble.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
30 Posts
I recently purchased an under engine cover from eBay for approx $80 for my 2016 Sorento. It came as a moulded plastic part with a metal liner for the area that sits directly under the engine.
The fit was pretty good for an aftermarket part and only required some minor fiddling to get it to fit correctly.
My Sorento was missing the cover when I purchased it, I suspect the servicing dealer (it was a lease return) removed it at some point and never replaced it to make their jobs easier. I had to purchase new bolts (M6 x 25 metric body bolts) as all original ones were missing.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,924 Posts

eg.
USA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts